The E3 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, June 9, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

DAMMIT UEDA! I KNOW YOU DIDN'T CANCEL IT, SHOW US WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY.
  2. tehtrekd

Holy crap!
    Guess it's finally about time to get a Wii U.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I was impressed by the size of the city in Arkham Knight. Nice verticality there. Not too sold on the tank combat thing. Looks really weirdly floaty.
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I demand this happen sooner. How dare Rockstar neglect us PC users.

Actually, even now, with it on it's way, it's likely just a port. I have a GTX 780 and an i7-3770K, and GTA IV got only 40-70fps... for shame!
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I want No Man's Sky so bad.

I don't even get really hyped for games anymore, but everything about that game is perfect for me. It's all about exploration, it has amazing music, it looks visually stunning. Want.
    tatsujb, phantomtom and Geers like this.
  6. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Yeah, man. Wii U is looking hot, although I've got a feeling that Zelda game isn't going to make its 2015 date.
  7. tehtrekd

Honestly, I'd be worried if it WAS released in 2015, it doesn't look like the game's even close to finished and world seems incredibly barren, hopefully that changes.
    I do have to wonder just what context the open world has. I'm hoping it ends up being an "Elder Scrolls Hyrule" type thing, but so long as the world is interesting and not an empty connection hub I'll be happeh.
  8. Geers

I think they just want to take their time so it looks and runs well.
  9. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

GTA IV was a terrible port. There are plenty of reasons for this, not all of them good.

However, with the Xbone and PS4 having architectures very similar to that of a PC, I think the new console generation bodes well for PC ports. I really do.
  10. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

It's not like it's been impossible to make quality ports in the past. Companies know how small the PC market is compared to consoles so obviously they're not going to be investing huge dosh on the conversion.

Why can't we have more developers like CD Projekt Red who make 10/10 products with less money than what the big bad publishers use on the ad campaigns of their yearly rehashes?
    kvalheim likes this.
  11. Geers

True, but I don't think Rockstar are the type to screw things up like that twice in a row.

Putting that aside:

This looks badass:

here's some ingame footage (hope you speak German!)
  12. poiuasd

San Andreas would like to have a word with you.
  13. Geers

I don't follow.
  14. poiuasd

Cool stuff like going past the console framerate would make it impossible to complete some time limit missions. I also read about Vice City and Bully being poorly converted but I haven't played them myself so take that with a grain of salt.
  15. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

San Andreas, Vice City and Bully were all pre-GTA IV right though?
    It's been several long years and Rockstar have put out some PC titles since them. Though given how stubborn Rockstar North are by how they're literally the only UK developer that won't talk to our university, I get the sense they're not the most swayed people. Bloody Edinburghers-- owait
    Geers likes this.
  16. Geers

So change the timer.
  17. poiuasd

It's the developer's job to make the game work, not the consumer's.

Anyways I'm not expecting anything from their PC ports.
  18. Geers

No I mean the devs will change the timer.
  19. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

The main problem I had with Bully (or Canis Canem Edit :rolleyes:) on PC was the very poor control scheme, otherwise I don't remember too many problems. The game is too easy-going fun to really be bothered by poor input handling and stuff anyway.
  20. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Microsoft was kind of meh, they didn't have much beyond their regular release cycle of guns, cars, and general uninterestingness. They also seem to think that DLC is a thing worth announcing at E3. Got very sick of their whole world changing revolutionary act they had going on.

EA were, as to be expected, sports and battlefield. Though Mirrors Edge 2 could be good, I liked the first one. Got very sick of their whole world changing revolutionary act they had going on.

Sony were a bit all over the place in terms of quality, but LBP3 was definitely what got me hyped. That Insomniac game also looked kind of cool, but it looks like it's just gonna be a "TOTALLY RADICAL ZANY WHACKY SHOOTER GAME LOOK HOW COOL AND MODERN WE ARE DUDE" experience that brings nothing of particular substance to the console. They also seem to think that DLC is a thing worth announcing at E3. Got very sick of their whole world changing revolutionary act they had going on.

Didn't watch Konami.

Nintendo were, by far, the 'winners' of E3. They had the biggest line up of raw new games and IPs. They had the most original and appealing range, their presentation was fantastic, their content was interesting. I particularly like the look of Splatoon, which is probably the most original shooter game on a modern video game console to be released in a long, long time.

Also that Smash tournament was hype as heck.
    PhoneySpring646 and tatsujb like this.