Mass Teleporter

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, June 9, 2014.

1. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

So I'm going to assume you dont need a building at the reciving end in order to teleport the units around your mass teleporter.

You would have to have some kind of effect going off in the landing zone in order to indicate an incoming teleportation. The warning should also indicate how much stuff is going to appear at the teleportation destination.
    Maybe some kind of space bending effect that gets bigger as more units are being teleported.

I dislike it being one time use only. I can understand that you dont want the teleporter to be spammable but I feel that there are better ways of achiving this. Maybe make the teleporter facility quite cheap, but in order to teleport units it would have to build up [a stable stream / a forcefield / anything] wich would eat up loads and loads of energy. If your energy stalls during the generating phase the process would have to be started up again and the progress gained already would be lost.

This would give your enemy the ability to spot your teleporter early on and give him the ability to try and intercept it being used.

The building destroying and teleporting features seem kind of gimicky to me. I am unsure if the will have a positive or a negative effect on the teleporter.
  2. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I would be interested to see it used offensively. Get it into an enemy's base and send a chunk of their stuff off to the middle of nowhere. Would be especially fun in an FFA where you could send an enemy's artillery off to a third player's moon just to ruin both their days.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Hilarious as that may be, you'd have a very hard time setting it up.
  4. pieman2906

Enemy got a moon and is about to smash your main planet.

Sneak a strike team in with one of these teleporters and teleport his com to your main planet just before collision.

Hilarity ensues.
    tiberiusxix likes this.
  5. Geers

Sneak? This isn't a sneaky teleporter. It's a big flashy teleporter for dumping large groups.
  6. pieman2906

It's sneaky if you teleport a second teleporter in from the original teleporter.
    websterx01 likes this.
  7. Geers

You can't teleport teleporters! That would result in a spontaneous quantum-gravitational inequality resulting in a collapse of gluon bindings!
  8. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

They'll never suspect the third teleporter.
  9. pieman2906

Teleport-ception

how many layers deep of teleporters can we go?

What happens if we use halleys, and as the planet is about to collide, we teleport them, and our entire moon base away to a second moon?

Heck, you're about to get hit by a planet, you teleport your base away, and then teleport it back right after the smash.
  10. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

We could get to infinite layers in theory. I'm more interested in what would happen if we were to cross the streams.
  11. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Very cool idea Geers!
    Good discussion here about balance worries and where this could be taken.

This is going in the right direction, however this teleporter's appeal lies in being able to create a beach-head. Therefore having to build a teleporter on the other end is kinda pointless.

A possible solution could be this:
    A ring of 'Teleporter' Orbital units, deployed using an Area command.
    These units are linked to the Teleporter and deploy around the circumference of the designated area.
    (More of these units might allow a larger footprint to be teleported?)

This way, we don't need to build on the enemy surface, which is easily prevented by roaming bombers/armies.
    However, we do have to overcome orbital defences, meaning the defender has a chance to prevent this happening.
    We also can't land an army right on top of an enemy base if it has umbrellas, meaning this system wouldn't be used for Commander-sniping.

This Teleporter should be a huge energy drain (20,000+?) and require several seconds (10?) in order to become operational and instantly teleport the units.
    This gives enough time for the defender to be warned and react, and also ensures that any attacker needs a stable economy.
  12. Geers

Yes I want the teleporter to take its time charging up, sending cool lightning everywhere. If it gets attacked while its initiating it stops or malfunctions.

Bonus fun idea: Interrupting a.. let's call it Area Displacement Device (I dunno good as anything), may result in "half" a unit/building being teleported (commanders are not at risk). The sure ADDs to the fun. Geddit?
    eroticburrito likes this.
  13. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Second, literally 1 second. meaning about 5 orbital fabs do it in a split second. (unless the enemy has defenses in range, which should naturally prevent even split second builds), otherwise you can just jump into a ring of defenses, so to speak.

Then again orbital markers could also work.
  14. FUNKANATON

FUNKANATON New Member

I think orbital mass and energy storage would be great
  15. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Why not make an interplanetary missile that when detonated makes a one way portal at the point of impact that lasts x number of seconds or x amount of unit mass, whichever comes first? The portal would require a hookup to a telegate, but other than that it would work like normal. Once the limit is up the portal dissipates. You could use the nuke launcher platform at the basis for it.
  16. Geers

Because then you don't get the cool Tesla bootup lightning stuff.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  17. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Why not? You are still using a gate at one end.
  18. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Nice idea. Specially if it allows you to teleport an entire base with its defensive structures, so that you have a chance to actually build a breach into an otherwise unbreakable enemy stronghold.

But some conditions have to be met. And that's about balancing so I let you guys fighting about. And I'm staying aside, watching and criticizing.

:D
  19. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

What if you could only select the planet, or maybe a fixed area to teleport to? The matter gets broken down into a probability wave and rematerializes somewhere within that area. Thinking they (the buildings/units) are in the same position relative to each other but just randomly within the area/on the planet.

Example: You can teleport a like 8X8 area into a 50X50 area/a planet. The circle of units/buildings, in whatever arrangement they are in, teleport as a unit randomly within the target area/on the planet. That way you get to where you want to be, more or less, and can still maintain tactical cohesion while reducing exploits like teleporting a ring of defense towers directly around a commander.
    Last edited: July 18, 2014
  20. dusanak

dusanak Member

Guys, guys, what do we need such teleporter for when you can just throw a planet at the enemy! I know the teleporter sounds cool and all that, but I think it could change the gameplay a lot and possibly not make it any better. I would rather see a Unit Cannon (not the T1 tank) than this.