Has anyone else looked in their Armory lately?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sigmud2, June 4, 2014.

1. sigmud2

sigmud2 Member

The new commanders are oh, so sleek and stylish, and I really really am wanting to buy that Xinthar coma, except I want to know thid first, can it fire artillery shells? (Because that cannon looks like it can fire howitzers) Or could it be that commanders like that are getting a new special ability?
  2. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I think they will all have their own special take on the alt-fire mode (Uber gun/D-Gun) when they are implemented.
    I think they are going to be balanced in such a way that they don't give you any advantage on which commander you role with though.
    sigmud2 likes this.
  3. sigmud2

sigmud2 Member

So no devastating artillery firing commanders?
  4. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Haha no, I think not. If one of em does do that, they will all have to be "devastating" :D
  5. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I think they might implement different basic aesthetic weapon effects as well, but all with the exact same gamelay characteristics. Makes sense if you think about it, since almost all weapon effects and such are first pass placeholders. These'll only be worked on by the artists when the core feature set and balancing is done.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

WYSIWYG applies to commander cosmetics as well.

Each one will have a regular gun and an uber cannon, all dealing the same damage. If they change that, the game will suddenly be about microtransactions.
  7. popededi

That's pretty much what I said. Aesthetic effects, but exact same gameplay characteristics. Same ROF, DPS, accuracy all that, but one might have a gun, while the other might have a missile launcher. Maybe the same with the uber cannon. Exact same behaviour, possibly different looks.

That said, what do you think about balancing rate of fire and damage to achieve a different feel for weapons, but in such a way that the DPS would stay the same? Would that work? It'd give the artists a bit more freedom to whip up cool weapon effects.

Edited some touchscreen mistypes.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  8. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

No matter how balanced it is, it'll still make one commander better than another in a certain situation, even if by just another point of damage.

Though, I suppose that doesn't matter much, as long as they're balanced against each other. Commander differences are just differences, and can only be ironed out so much before every commander becomes the same.

It would be like taking every unit in the game and giving them the exact same stats. They'll still have different models and animations, but they'll all function the same.

In other words: perfect balance is boring.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

There would be no reason to buy new commanders to get different weapons, as there are only three weapons, the Uber Rocket Launcher, the Uber Laser, and the Uber Cannon. :p
  10. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

not looked at my armoury. after i bought one of the coms and equipped it the screen now stays blank and refuses to load the armoury lol. i get the 3 tabs but nothing inside them!
    Taxman66 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Same, thank god someone actually has the same problem as me.
  12. popededi

It is different though, as we're trying to achieve aesthetic only variations of the exact same unit.