Galactic War Galaxy should be like in Spore

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by core188, June 4, 2014.

1. core188

core188 New Member

The galaxy don`t look good.

I think the Galactic War mode should be an endless game part. with many many star systems and you zoom into the system with the mouse wheel as in Spore.

I like the Spore Galaxy but the war part is.......
    matty999 and nawrot like this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The worst thing ever conceived by Maxis?

Anyway, I think the current galaxy is a first-pass sort of thing. I'm sure it'll get some animation and such later down the line.
    tatsujb, eroticburrito and bradaz85 like this.
  3. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Spore?? I'm saying nothing! :) I think you should have an option to make it endless or finite.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. Spore had the chance to be awesome.

And then it wasn't.
    zweistein000 and bradaz85 like this.
  5. core188

core188 New Member

Not the gameplay only the galaxy.

Look the vid currently you select a system and it generates. It would be better if you zoom only in the system with the mouse wheel and start fighting.

And many many more Systems please (endless game mode)
  6. kothanlem

kothanlem New Member

No! Of course we want robot evolution.
    Joking of course but I'm fine with selecting the system, but I want to spin the galaxy around with my mouse and look at the awesomeness of it.
  7. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Like in spore?
    I think you mean like in the new elite game. I mean, seriously have you seen that? 400,000,000,000 stars...

Uber, get realistic galaxy size or get gone :p
    muhatib, nawrot and eroticburrito like this.
  8. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

That's insanely huge!

Galactic War looks pretty, but the Spore galaxy was enormous and every star was in-game. Yes the space stage was a disappointment. OP knows this. However the scale would be about right for an awesome RTS like Planetary Annihilation.

A 3D, large galaxy would allow for more opportunity in multiplayer meta-games.
    Imagine a huge galaxy with lots of Factions fighting for territory - perhaps more territory would allow more members in the Faction, giving an initial incentive to expand. That and independent players could jump in and carve themselves out an Empire. Could be awesome and lend a more persistent/cumulative quality that standalone matches in multi-player lack.
    Jaedrik, 15racing and Pendaelose like this.
  9. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I really like this idea, because that is even more epic than smashing planets, i mean you cannot make bigger scale RTS than whole galactic! Starcraft should feel endagered species now!

Agreed about size of it, this would be most epic war ever. And best of it is that PA has most code already in. I mean random seed planets and stuff. All is needed is rand seed galaxy, that spawns star systems with some rand seeds to create planets.

and:
    I would play PA forever until i conquer every single star system out of 400 bilions of starts. And hurry up Uber i am not sure if i live 24k years to conquer them all assuming i beat one every 30min. I am running out of time here!

But fun sized galaxy like with 200-500 stars would be great. And no wormhole silly lines please, we are robots from future we do not need no silly wormholes to invade.

PS. Also lore friendly thing is that after commander leaves star system everything autodestructs because communication takes too long.
    Last edited: June 4, 2014
  10. dusanak

dusanak Member

I think that such a thing would be awesome. It would give an enormous amount of replayability and incentive to keep on playing. If there were dozens of different factions, perhaps even some basic diplomacy (access, peace, war, alliance). And it could take you weeks to finish a single Galactic War.
    nawrot likes this.
  11. verybad

verybad Active Member

Not the worst thing ever conceived. It was actually a very good and intriguing conception. The game was screwed up by EA being the producers. Of they had gone for what the original conception had been rather than rushing it, it would have been one of the best geames ever.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  12. Kola2

Kola2 Member

I love some of theese ideas, i really loved spore but just... there where too much stuff missing.
    Hopefully there will be some new spore like games (like the universim, which sadly didn't get enough money D: )
    But until then i could enjoy some better galactic war maps & other stuff.
    (EDIT : I need to go play spore now)
    Last edited: June 4, 2014
  13. tehtrekd

It wasn't ALL EA's fault.
    Spore's development was sluggish as hell in the first place. Apparently making an evolution simulator isn't very easy.
  14. lapsedpacifist

I'd definitely like some bigger galaxies, I was a little disappointed when I saw the current 'large'. If 20v20 clan matches are going on we'll definitely need something bigger. It is a first pass though, I expect all of this will be looked at and fine tuned.

In relation to my earlier post, I'm going to shamelessly plug elite:dangerous. It's still fairly early in development, but I imagine there must be a fair few people on these forums who are fans of space and space sims and it looks extremely promising (I just bought myself a hotas for the premium beta :) )
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Spore was an amazing game imho, I put so many hours in it, playing around, creating entire stories and levels in Galactic Adventures. Creature Stage and Space stage were the best bits, Cell was good too, Tribal and Civ were worse but Civ was alright. I know it didn't meet expectations but it certainly wasn't a bad game. :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

Sorry for the double post, but why not just use Space Simulator? :p
  17. lapsedpacifist

Because it's not just a space simulator, it's a complete space trading, exploration and combat game WITHIN an accurately modelled galaxy. Go look it up!

Anyway, off topic, I'll stop my fan boying and get back to PA
  18. squishypon3

Ah well I heard Space Sim wants to be an engine for people to build games, like that, off of. Imagine PA through Space Sim ;)
  19. tehtrekd

The problem is it was NOWHERE near what we first saw.
    This isn't a hyperbole either, this isn't like the Watch_Dogs graphics thing, no.

This game was COMPLETELY different from what was shown at first, what was shown was an in-depth game that would actually explore evolution to a great degree. What we got was a pretty, but utterly simplistic, almost childishly so, experience.

The game wasn't terrible, but it had potential to be SO much more than what it was.
  20. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

Hate for spore aside, I can actually see that system working very well for the GAW..