Uber-Cannon Auto-Fire?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, June 1, 2014.

?

Up for it?

1. I have reservations... for a table of commenters.

9.8%
  2. Aye.

36.6%
  3. Bill Nye.

48.8%
  4. I could NOT care less.

4.9%
  1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I've played a lot of Warcraft and Starcraft in my time, so this is in part inspired by auto-casting in those games.

I was thinking about how tricky it might be for somebody to Uber-Cannon a load of fast-moving Aircraft.

Right-Clicking the Uber-Cannon button to enable Auto-Fire (at clusters of >5 units, excepting Vanguards and Infernos and prioritising Commanders) might provide a nice option for those that want to automate their Uber-Hadoukens.

Whaddya think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tatsujb, BradNicholson and ace902902 like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Bill Nye for me.

it used to be that way but i think it's good that we leave a small microer's safe haven.
    ahrimofnor likes this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Dat poll.

Like the idea.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It did NOT used to be that way. It used to be that it was triggered by right clicking at close range. It did NOT autofire.
  5. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

This game looks beautiful. That`s what i think:pAmazing ubercannon shoot!
    ahrimofnor likes this.
  6. eroticburrito

Why on earth did I put Bill Nye as the "No" option?
    ArchieBuld and stuart98 like this.
  7. tatsujb

EH
    [​IMG]
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  8. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

yes please
  9. valheria

valheria Active Member

I wish the uber cannon behaved like the one in TA.. Because it was hilarious blowing up entire tank columns like that instead of a big bang like it is.. Uber Should give us the option to be honest..
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

wouldn´t be much of an option when uber brings in a eventualy more powerfull version of an uberattack ...
  11. eroticburrito

What about if the current one tracked forward in a column and then exploded as it does now?
  12. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Dude, your screens are so baller.

PS: nice idea with the auto-fire. It used to in beta, if I remember correctly, but that was before we boosted it.
  13. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

[​IMG]
  14. tatsujb

Brad, will you please be our emissary to try to persuade the rest of the team that HDR, ambient occlusion, bloom and most importantly high day and night + night vs. night lights contrast should make a return in a BIG way.

Explanation : when HDR+bloom were first introduced we would all get these high night vs. day contrasts.

more than that : the light in the scene would adapt to the night or the day in exactly the same way our eye's pupil does in real life.

It was beautiful, marvelous even.

Now all we can do is alter a bunch of files to obtain a broken effect that pales in comparison : The intelHD bug @eroticburrito has that you find so baller.

Right now the consensus in the UBER office is that's the art team's decision to make night almost as bright as day was good.

Please go convince them to bring back that adaptive darkness.

please, please, please, please!
    Last edited: June 2, 2014
    ace63 and Pendaelose like this.
  15. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I'm all for giving commanders (or any other unit) activated abilities with a right-click to automate defaulted to true.
  16. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

There are going to be 3 types of ubercannons, so maybe the laser one will do this ;)
  17. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Listen to this man.
  18. eroticburrito

[​IMG]

Ambient Occlusion at 0.65 instead of 1.0.
  19. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I'm against uber cannon auto cast for several reasons

1) I should be able to distract you with an attack somewhere else so that i can push on your base. Basically, the game is more deep when player attention and time management is a part of the game. Whenever there are strategic tradeoffs to player decisions, it's generally always a good thing. Yes, get rid of 'micro' requirements for accessibility, but not necessarily at the cost of interesting player interactions. Especially when the micro in question is not tedious or high apm in nature (we're talking like <1 apm peoples..)

2) The invisible rules for what constitutes a 'clump' are not intuitive or quickly understood by the player. Why are infernos and vanguards magically exempt? Autocast potentially increases the micro requirement because of all these random rules. It's not really auto cast, since you still need to evaluate every single situation anyway if you are playing to win.

It also causes your opponent to 'game the system', instead of 'playing you', by microing even more with things like sending just enough units forward to bait automatic uber cannons. Micromanaging against systems instead of players is the worst kind of micro you want.

3) How lazy do we really want to get? At what point does automation make the game stop being a game and start becoming a movie? Is uber cannon really 'tedious micro'? I would argue that it isn't, and auto cast should be relegated to single player only if at all.
    corteks likes this.
  20. Guilliman

Guilliman New Member

Commander has an ability to fire? oO

*looks for keybinds*