[WIP] Papa texture editor v0.4.1

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by DeathByDenim, February 7, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It never worked. :)

There are four different texture formats in PA. A8R8G8B8, X8R8G8B8, DXT1 and DXT5. The texture editor can read all of them, but can only edit the first two formats (i.e. sky boxes). DXT1 and DXT5 are a lot harder to encode. There is some code that allows you to import images into the DXT1 papafile, but it's not very good and the tool papatran that comes with PA is a lot better. The texture in your screen shot is DXT5, I believe. It should say at the bottom in the status bar that is cut off in the picture you posted. That's why the options are greyed out. Maybe I'll get round to implementing it someday, since it's a rather interesting optimization problem, but probably not any time soon.

They way to do it, is to use the papa texture editor to export to png. Then edit the png and use papatran to convert it back to a papa file again.

The error you posted is some sort of Qt4 funkiness and can be completely ignored.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it did :)

if it didn't then how could I have made the christmas trees mod?
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

[​IMG]

Most likely you used papatran.
  4. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

*LE Gasp* Does this mean I can extract Commander textures, and use them on my own commander? FINALLY?!
  5. DeathByDenim

Because those are DXT1 and you used a piece of highly experimental code for that. As I said: "There is some code that allows you to import images into the DXT1 papafile, but it's not very good and the tool papatran that comes with PA is a lot better." It was actually kind of a mistake that that code got published, but I couldn't be bothered to correct it and just left it in. :)

Uhm, that's been possible since February. :) (Theoretically...)
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I know I read the rest of your post. I was just kidding and I hope your hotfix this. I would be very happy to be able to use this tool again.
  7. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Well it is to me now, but I have to wait till I get my new PC. My old one kicked the bucket a few days ago, and my Laptop cant handle 3DS Max well >-<
  8. DeathByDenim

Version 0.3.1: Bugfix for DXT1 and DXT5. Colour channels were switched apparenty. Thanks for @WwAiRtRhIiOnR for pointing that out.
  9. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Can you recompile with the -static-libgcc and -static-libstdc++ linking...

10. DeathByDenim

Heh, sure. That't what I get for making Windows programs without having Windows. :)
    Does it work now?
    maxpowerz likes this.
  11. maxpowerz

Not on windows 7 pro 64bit

It still gives the missing libstdc++.dll error.

I copied the libstdc++.dll over from my MinGW\bin folder but it didn't solve the problem it just showed another error libwinpthread-1.dll is missing from your pc.

I'll try running the editor on my windows 8 machine, last time i used it when you first made it i had no errors or problems running the editor at all.
  12. DeathByDenim

Hmm, weird. I upgraded from Kubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, but I didn't think I changed any of the wine stuff. I'll mess around a bit more with it then.
    Oh, oops. I forgot to change the links in the first post here. The actual updated Windows binaries where here.
    In case it still doesn't work, the source code is available on GitHub of course. All you need it cmake, mingw and the qt4 development files.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  13. maxpowerz

Ahh i tried 0.3.1 first ..
    I tried the new 0.3.2 link and it goes straight to the libwinpthread-1.dll missing error when i run it :(

I have MinGW already on my pc i'll grab the sources and give it a go after i download Cmake and the QT open source stuff
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  14. maxpowerz

I have QT5 will that make much difference ??
  15. DeathByDenim

I'm not sure honestly. I haven't dipped my toes into that yet. But according to their Porting Guide, it should theoretically work...
    maxpowerz likes this.
  16. maxpowerz

I should have a build ready by the end of the week :D
    I still need to download about a gigabyte worth of stuff before i can compile the build and im out of internet until Thursday.
    (I'm using my mobile phone data plan and i have less than 100meg left :( )
  17. DeathByDenim

Oh my, it seems Qt5 is double the size of Qt4. Well, good luck. I'll mess around with it some more. Maybe I can get a completely static build or something.
  18. maxpowerz

When i have all the dev tools for compiling a windows build for you i can maintain and build windows versions whenever you update the program if you like :D
  19. maxpowerz

Yeah QT5 is about 4gb of HDD space wastage .. lol

Edit..
    I'll download both incase building with 5 doesn't work :D
  20. maxpowerz