Give us Shields! Come on!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wbonx, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Really? I think its a step in the right direction. What's human about an energy based force shield?
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

What's human about a large block of ablative metal armour that stands between you and your opponent?

Besides, if people could make bubble shields, we bloody well would! So the presence of the technology doesn't mean it's inherently non-human.

It's an intelligent move to use the best tools at your disposal. People are intelligent, as are these robots. You haven't convinced me that robots need shields.
    Pendaelose and schuesseled192 like this.
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I'm sure there was a very similar post on the "give us gunships thread" that no doubt exists.
  4. BulletMagnet

Well, get cracking!
  5. keterei

keterei Active Member

He didn't mention shields. To me it sounds unrelated.
    Last edited: June 2, 2014
  6. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

What's human about the robots? Nearly every piece of tech they can build is being used today.

The fact that we can't build it, would mean that we have yet to understand how.. Meaning a greater, more logical mind could/would solve that problem.
  7. BulletMagnet

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/give-us-shields-come-on.60152/page-16#post-937744

He implied it when he brought up the human/robot aspect of the game.

Oh, and this is a discussion on shields. It goes without saying.
  8. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

A human thought it up and besides from a strictly art design mentality the robots are supposed to use "humanesque" technology. (uber's choice). For example, ships have bridges, tanks have cockpits, subs/satellites look like they are built to contain atmosphere, etc from a strictly "we is robotz" prospective those decorative elements are unnecessary, but it would just look weird to the gamers.

So... The nature of shields, would robots rather than humans use them is irrelevant in the scope of this game.
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  9. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

But a human can't make it, not today.
  10. BulletMagnet

You don't need a "more logical mind" for that. All you need is scientific knowledge about how the universe works. If human scientists today were given a book from the robots that contained an explanation of how shields work, those human scientists would then be able to understand them.

Do you disagree?
  11. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Well, it makes sense that the robots are similar to humans because it's implied that humans made the commanders.
  12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

And learnt absolutely nothing since!
  13. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Yes but irrelevant. I agree, Logical was the wrong word to use. Intelligence is key.
  14. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

The Mona Lisa hasn't changed. It still represents one artists perfect woman.
  15. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Mona Lisa isn't an A.I...
  16. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

Actually I have made a suggestion that would solve most of the problems of traditional bubble shields in this thread but I guess it got ignored.

Besides that I do not feel that traditional bubble shields are flawed in their design but rather in their implementation.

We have never actually tried the real orbits as far as I am aware so saying that they didnt work is simply wrong.

Shields dont screw balance, bad balance screws balance. Shields when implemented correctly will benefit the game quite a bit.

What is going against shields using metal to repair themselfs or even a constant stream of metal to function? We would need to experiment with shields to get an impression on what works best.

Most of the player vs player matches I saw in Supreme Commander had no experimentals at all in them. They consisted mostly of t1 rushes and the occasional t2 buildup. But then again Supreme Commander is a different game with different mechanics.

So on one hand you are arguing that shields are the best thing ever and cant be balanced and now you say that they are situational or maybe not even economical sustainable. Those statements are exclusive to each other. Either shields are so OP that everyone builds them every time, wich is a thing you guys seem to fear quite a bit, or shields are situational. They cant be both.
  17. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Except for high powered lasers, advanced space travel, nano-lathing, and teleportation?
  18. BulletMagnet

I'm glad you agree. Do you want to put aside the remainder of the anthropological hand-wave about robots and humans, and discuss the gameplay merits and detriments of bubble shields?
    spainardslayer likes this.
  19. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Why? In that case, why bother with lore or backstory, why bother with making stuff make sense..
  20. BulletMagnet

What's the backstory of Chess? Knights don't move like that. Castles don't move at all. And the last time I went to church, the bishop certainly didn't walk diagonally.

Backstory isn't needed if the game is good in its own right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.