[REL] Pixel strategic icons! (SupCom style icons) [v68331]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by xedi, July 6, 2013.

1. xedi

xedi Active Member

Here's what they look like for me.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Zoomed in:
    [​IMG]
    ozonexo3, tatsujb and thetrophysystem like this.
  2. xedi

xedi Active Member

I've found a bug in the png handling, somehow it sometimes adds some black pixels at the bottom. It's quite strange! It seems that in every column of pixels in the icon, it adds a black pixel just underneath the lowest non-transparent pixel.

For instance, it turns my icon [​IMG] into [​IMG] . Note the black pixels added at the bottom!

Edit: Ah, not exactly. It in fact appears to turn into a black pixel each transparent pixel that is directly below a non-transparent pixel.

The really weird thing is that it doesn't even do it every time; some times all icons are fine, some times some icons are affected, some times a different set of icons is affected... How peculiar.

Is this the problem you've been experiencing, tatsu?
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Okay, I have a little bit of feedback after using them, as I liked them and think they have potential. I really actually should make my own someday.

But this is great, I would change:
    -Commander Larger, he is as big or smaller than bot icon
    -Change umbrella icon, looks like factory.
    -Not sure if difference between t1 and t2 icons, not sure if it matters, but could follow suit and just have thicker outline or something.
    -Ah yes, and IMO mex spots from supcom don't work here, being more abundant, they cover up bases and units and clutter everything. Either make smaller, or make something else.

I will probably for now, make all these changes to my personal version. Thanks for the abundant 95% of the other work though, this is terrific, and I don't even like SupCom!
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    xedi likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

GODDAMN! you have pure pixel perfection!!

Why is it that it doesn't translate that way over to my computer?

yes this would probably explain it!

difference between t1 and t2 is that they have two bars beneath instead of one. At first you don't notice but after awhile it sticks out like a blasted sore thumb. :)
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The extra black pixels are caused by a drop shadow being added to the icons by the way we're doing the icon atlas.
    Find this file:
    media\ui\main\atlas\icon_atlas\icon_atlas.html
    Look for this block:
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
        .svgfilter { -webkit-filter: url(#shadow); }
    </style>
    And remove it.

We'll be killing it on our end eventually too.
    xedi and thetrophysystem like this.
  6. xedi

xedi Active Member

Thanks for the great feedback.
    • I'm looking into making the commander stand out more.
    • I don't think the Umbrella icon looks like a factory; factories are large rectangles and stand out from the rest: [​IMG] . The Umbrella icon [​IMG] follows the scheme for anti-air [​IMG] and anti-ship [​IMG] .
    • The T1/T2 is indicated by the pips; I think once you notice it it's quite clear and aesthetically more pleasing than having a doubled border. You can see that in the icons above: the factory and Umbrella are T2, the others are T1.
    • I think the mex spots deserve to be very visible like they are currently. You can just change the icon_si_metal_splat_02.png file to something less garish if you prefer, though.
    Thanks! I still find it confusing that it was sometimes applying the shadow, but not always...!
  7. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated for version 66770. I've incorporated the fix as suggested by Ben. Cheers!

I haven't changed the commander icon to be bigger, I'm still trying to find a nice way to do it with it still looking good. If you have any ideas, I'd love to see them.

You seem to always have hundreds of mods running simultaneously, so it's hard to tell what's causing glitches on your end! You can try to turn all mods off (or just move them to a different folder) and see if it works then... and then turn other mods on one by one until you find the culprit?
    I've fixed the issue I mentioned above in the latest version.
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Your screen resolution may need to be precisely 16:9 or 16:10 (or just a multiple of 16) for the icons to scale properly.

I find that the use of the secondary team color for the unit symbol can make it difficult to distinguish. Perhaps it would be better to leave that out.
  9. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Are people still seeing icons not pixel perfect? I tested it by scaling the windowed view to all sorts of different sizes and aspects and didn't see any problems, but there might be some cases I missed.

edit: Never mind, reproduced it on my first try. If the window resolution is odd in either dimension it'll be blurry in that direction.
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    xedi likes this.
  10. xedi

xedi Active Member

I'm not currently using the secondary team colour. I agree it can inhibit visibility.

Thanks! I didn't realise this was an issue.
  11. tatsujb

I'll try that.
  12. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Fixed for the release after next.
    It's not a mod issue, it's your game's display resolution isn't even in both dimensions. I have the fix for this checked in, should be in a build next week.
    xedi and tatsujb like this.
  13. tatsujb

thanks, I have been waiting a long time for this, words cannot express my gratitude.
  14. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated! Now icons get nicely highlighted on mouse hover instead of becoming bigger. Thanks to wondible for pointing me to the fix.

[​IMG]
    ozonexo3, moldez and tatsujb like this.
  15. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

And this is mod i wanted! Thanks for it :)
  16. tatsujb

: ( : ( : ( TT_TT I like it too but you sure you've given my new version a whirl?
  17. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

well...no, i have exams and i dont have time to test everything, but title "pixel icons" was the thing. I wanted this in PA for sooo long
  18. tatsujb

I have exams too :p
    mine are also pixel perfect.
  19. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated for version 68331!
  20. silentlife

silentlife New Member

Did a quick peek when checking out a UI thing; works fantastically! Thanks for the great work, please keep it up!

EDIT: I actually have a suggestion! I made a similar suggestion in this thread
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/mod-ideas.56072/page-7

Energy off/on indicator icon

Add a small icon indicating whether a unit has energy usage toggled on/off up close and from a distance. This may work particularly well with your mod since it's got the same look as supreme commander.

Example:
    Energy off/on in Planetary Annihilation is sort of like a hybridization of "Toggle ability" and "pause/unpause build queue" from Supreme Commander in that it can be used to effectively pause ANY energy demanding task, including build queues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: October 6, 2014