Give us Shields! Come on!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wbonx, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

getting com-snipped alot is not dependent on you, who you are or something :p

you'll still get com-sniped with units around your com because the attacker may get shot down but as long as the payload gets to destination it's worth it. so a shield there would make sure that the com-snipe was well deserved and wasn't just an offhand chance event.
  2. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

Exactly my thoughts on that matter! Com Sniping should be because I failed and not because there was nothing I could do against it in the first place.
  3. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Assuming that all bombers and gunships can't fly under the shields.
  4. tatsujb

well ya, I mean in every other game they flew above. and couldn't hit before getting through.
  5. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

truly still believe this to be awesome shield idea, need heeps of metal and more energy then is almost enough.
    also shield is directional and can be switched from top or frontal protection, and also fabers would give it a simple regen/hp boost. And would be possible to create a tank based mobile platform for t2 with lower hp.
    This idea id say would bring lots of strategies to gameplay, due to it no being bubbled and costing its own amount. well balanced this will bring lots, think arties not being proned to frontal fire, but still being able to flank, meaning you will have to pay attention to your offensive line alittle more... Enough said this bring pros and noobs to strategize the playing fields more then just drag and que the line forwards PAshield.jpg
    Remy561, DalekDan and phantomtom like this.
  6. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

7. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/just-a-penny-for-the-thoughts-shielding.57479/page-2#post-895231
    people should rethink and consider the advanced tactic usages and cons of directional shields
  8. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

Well I think walls already fulfill the role of directional shields, what would set your idea apart from them?
  9. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Not every game. I can think of at least two games that had this mechanic (although I can only remember one name, Zero-K).
  10. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

im guessing you didnt read the redirected part, you would have to click a button and then the shield would take a few secs to produce aerial coverage, and then back to frontal, and these would be more as t2 walls and t2 tactical platform units, maybe i might have to solo the idea and see if i can get it modded into the post release.
  11. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

I really like that unit! soo simple, yet soo cool! when i think about shields i allways think about blobs covering areas.
    Edit:When i think about it.This game allrdy has shields, vanguards and infernos. But still looks cool!
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. tatsujb

ok so that's one, I know two were it wasn't the case and I'm suggesting it wouldn't be the case in PA's shields
  13. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

Posting a scope of the capability of these shieldings, i am not a pro, yet, only been working on 3d programs for about 10-20 hours

Attached Files:

14. banaman

banaman Member

since someone pointed out zero k already... and people are still equating shields to instant turtling tactics, here's a thought:
    zero k is essentially derived directly from the tactics and gameplay of TA as well. it also has shields. big shields. small shields. mobile shields. linkable shields. you name it.

those who think shields are only good for turtling... I -highly- suggest you download zero k and just watch a few games (don't even have to play it, just watch) you'll see very quickly how shields can be used effectively in non-turtly situations.

that being said... non-turtle situations with shields are very contextual. but then again... so is building a turret. or a wall. the basic idea is to make a position fortified enough that attacking it without losing a lot of units is going to require a large force ... one that you can then hopefully intercept with a counter, or attack there main base when the force leaves.

I'm just trying to point out here... saying no shields at all because people will turtle, is absolutely ridiculous.
    people will turtle just fine with or without shields. yes, it would make it easier to, but it would also make it easier to: setup forward bases. setup a foothold on an enemy planet. protect artillery that is near an enemy turtled base. make checkpoints that allow you to retreat friendly forces that are in trouble. protect high value targets from being sniped (not just your commander)

also: regarding my comment about starcraft... you kind of took it out of context horribly, but my point still stands. if you compare -just- ground warfare in PA, to starcraft, PA is a lot more straightforward. but again, this isn't a bad thing, and in fact is probably going to be very necesary since you will be dealing with multiple planets and orbital. telling your factories to repeat the same units over and over and sending them out, isn't as deep as having to watch your units because if they run into the wrong force they get pummeled without a chance.
    (I've played starcraft, starcraft 2, TA, supcom, supcom2 and PA all quite a lot, lol, trust me, I know what I'm saying)
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    wbonx likes this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

> INB4 the too much micro response spam.

Sorry, no "special abilities" for units.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  16. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

yeah sorry bout the spam
  17. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

it would be better as a mobile unit
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh no no no, I meant a lot of people would call that to micro intensive, you might want to have a look at what INB4 means. :D
  19. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

Please tell me where you got this information. What is your source?
  20. tatsujb

he means we're going to try to convince the devs or at least have a mod. no "information"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.