ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ The servers are down ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mcboogerballs, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderstryke71

enderstryke71 New Member

No, Uber, thank you for your patience.
    Jaedrik, timp13 and dfanz0r like this.
  2. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

No this is the opposite of great. These potential new players are being turned away from the game and, let's face it, our community isn't large enough for that to be acceptable.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This thread:

[​IMG]
    mishtakashi, timp13, lokiCML and 3 others like this.
  4. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Ah man, now I miss Misfits. That show is amaze-balls. I was sad when they dropped some of the actors from S1(and s2?) the immortal guy... Who "tripled" himself. Wow I was finished, choked on my juice and everything
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

6. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I think this was the first server outage since I joined in early beta. Unfortunately issues like this happen with every game that requires online services to run. And I don't see the problem with it as long as the developers do all they can to fix t. In this case, since they use AWS, there was nothing they could do.

It's a massively complex infrastructure, so everyone needs to accept that occasionally something might happen. This is a great community, we welcome everyone as long as their contributions are made in a civilised fashion. Or in the form of catgifs. Both work. ;)
    lokiCML likes this.
  7. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

It doesn't matter why it happened and it wasn't insulting the devs in my post. The problem is that it happened when lots of people had just bought the game. Many of these people will become incredibly irritated that they can't play and just never go back to it. We need those players.
  8. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I do understand your point. The one I was trying to make is that this is natural when it comes to online gaming. I don't tend to voice opinions about people, but I think whoever becomes incredibly irritated by this shouldn't use the internet, because it is the nature of networking, that in a complex system of thousands of devices, something might break.
    websterx01 likes this.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

(Got them! Thanks Squishy!)

Honestly, if people are going to rage/not play because part of AWS went down, then they wouldn't be the type people in the community that most of us want to see.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't think on outage of maybe an hour or two will scare away people forever, especially since they just payed money. It would be bad however if this kind of outage happens again/too often as people do get angry if they cannot play.
    squishypon3 and popededi like this.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I know that feel about the smilies, use the 'cut' tool and it deletes them. :D
  12. timp13

timp13 Member

you're welcome
  13. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

I just got the game and I ain't even mad.
    I think I have the right and correct observation to call my fellow newcomers who were mad at the server outage either way too uptight or 'entitled'.
    popededi likes this.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Actually I think after buying the game you ARE entitled to at least play it once in a while. It's just that sometimes things don't work out ^^
  15. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

While you certainly win the sentiment, many would agree, there is no specific, legal or moral, obligation for the servers to be up at any point relevant to the discussion.
    I do not acknowledge the validity of one's sense of entitlement if it springs from a cultural curiosity. No one is entitled to have another free person act in a manner when there is no specific morally or legally binding obligation, and I think that a regular old vidya game does not incur this, the gravity of the situation is too thin!
    Neither the natural law nor the positive law are on the side of those who complain in this situation. At least, as far as I can see.
    popededi likes this.
  16. metaphaze

metaphaze Member

they're running CentOS? or are you asking if I am... I'm running all gentoo
    If they are running CentOS as their server os it's no wonder it's down.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Yeah I could have phrased that better. Why not CentOS? Out of curiosity.
  18. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Well then what you think is that, all players who belong or open this game by steam are idiots!!

Well try to grow up, and show same respect for players, even those who do not have much influence on something!

Your attitude seems to represent all those who are not from steam? Or am I wrong?

Dont try start a war between Steam players and non Steam players because we are + then you.....
    Anular edições
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This is exactly the deal. I don't get rage for no reason other than rage. Anyone who does that looks like a 1 in a 1000000 twitch youtube chat joke. I literally lose the ability to recognize them as a human being, they are simply a little fragment of 4chan floating around the internet.

The servers went down for a short time. That happens to planetside2 like, once or twice a week. Happened to GTA5 on release, pretty persistently for a week? Happened to Sim City, THAT was an outrage. Black Ops needed a 2g patch on day of release, technically it was open for guranteed return in Germany and the store could not argue, it was basically mass recall.

This, is ordinary everyday. BTW, this thread got 8 pages out of hand in a short few hours. Was suprised not entirely deleted, really, and replaced with a dev sticky that servers down and locked for replies. That being said, ARE the servers back up?
    popededi likes this.
  20. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

As a yesterday at 10:53 PM EDST.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.