Awesome Night "Bug"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, May 27, 2014.

?

Would you like darker nights as an option?

1. Yes.

91.3%
  2. Nope.

8.7%
  1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Ah man, that looks amazeballs. This game is actually incredibly beautiful in it's way. It has come so far in such a short space of time :')
  2. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

It's a beautiful game just to sit back and look at. I'm loving how the mechanical details are coming in as we get some art polish. I love the Orbital Factories, and the way things like Deepspace Orbital Radar and Vehicle Factories fold out. It's so physically satisfying xD
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

thanks man, i grabbed a couple for new backgrounds!
    eroticburrito likes this.
  4. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

You're welcome :D
  5. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

This looks so awesome o.o want want want want want! >.<

P.S.: Since there was the slider idea, even people who say "no too dark, i need to see stuff", just can play on the settings which show the most.
  6. planktum

planktum Post Master General

Turning off AO is not a fix. It's a temporary work around.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Need more position lights on units.

And maybe just a tiny bit more contrast in the dark areas, but apart from that: Just amazing.

Just add a bit of bloom when the sun rises over the horizon, maybe a lensflare and we are done.

Can only repeat what has been said already: The engine is capable of producing amazing pictures as soon as you dump the FOW compatibility.
  8. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

As far as I can recall, Neutrino did speak of making darkness and lights quite prominent in one of the
    livestreams back some ago, so this bug should definitely become a feature.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

OMG keep 'em coming, and bear in mind neutrino wanted to have nights light up.

I can't see who in their right mind would turn down metal planets surface night lights.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow, that's the way PA's meant to be played :
    [​IMG]
    eroticburrito and Devak like this.
  11. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I really love the darkness!!! Especially with all these light effect nowadays. Would be very cool to have a sun brightness slider or something!! Or no sun at all :p
  12. Petah

Petah New Member

This should make it a feature ;)

Just make the lights on buildings bigger, and have icons show closer.

Also when out of LOS why not use a grayscale filter, as the current effect is not very noticeable.
    PA.png
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Semantics :p
  14. planktum

planktum Post Master General

It's not semantics. Turning off AO doesn't fix the problem. Maybe I should just stop playing Planetary Annihilation, that'll "FIX" the problem.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  15. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Weeeeelllllll, it is a temporary fix, not a work around. Uber is working on patching it, so until they kill the bug, just turn it off. It's not as if ambient occlusion is really that important. Just give them a bit of time, they'll fix it.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Whoa there, calm down... Also- if you stop playing PA, yes, it'll fix your problem, but what's more of a give and take? Taking away AO and having the game playable? Keeping AO and having the game beautiful, or not playing the game and well... not being able to play the game...? Your choice. :p
  17. coops07

coops07 New Member

So I have a good story running into this 'darkness' for the first time last night while playing a 2v2 AI match with a buddy. First time I had played a game with another person so even 2v2 I expected to be overwhelmed as I am not that good yet :p

So I started off with my regular build and was on my way to T2 when the sun started to set, and all of a sudden I noticed that my entire base was shrouded in darkness!
    Only my commander with his headlights was able to sift through the black haze to complete his tasks while my engineers worked silently on their build queues (without headlights) and would come into view every so often as they strolled by a light source then went off back into the empty abyss.

Just about this time I was telling my friend, man they must have implemented some new shader options, to which he replied that everything looked fine on his screen and was able to see on the dark side of the planet with ease. I knew something was wrong, and I told him "WELL I AM SCREWED, THEY COULD JUST COME OUT OF THE DARKNESS AND I WOULD NEVER KNOW!" ... and low and behold (believe it or not)...

... a few seconds later, out of the darkness; THEY EMERGED.

Fire from all around me erupted as my base lit up with rockets and explosions from the hundreds of units that had been waiting right at my doorsteps began to fire. Explosions of light and then darkness as the giant mass of units converged from one building to the next. I stood no chance. They emerged like being from the unknown and wiped me almost completely out before I could escape with my commander to the (light) side of the planet where my friend had established some defences.

Even though he has began his process of nukers the ai was very agressive and soon began to overtake the planet little by little until there was nothing left.... but rusted metal, and darkness....

Hope you enjoyed ;P
    Paappa, eroticburrito and damnhippie like this.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id love to play on a rouge planet system.
  19. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Oh so I shouldn't update to that latest version Nvidia sent out?
  20. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

THIS is what I'd like to see more of in PA. That black skybox is incredible. I really like the extreme brightness vs black nothing, both in the background and the planet surface. Just looks really harsh and space-tastic, like only robots should be here. So yeah, darker nights! More bot lights!