Next PACE Tournament – Six Ways to Awesome

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, May 20, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

While we do enjoy putting on a spectacle in our King of the Planet format, our Community Cup is open to the community and the response we've had has been very positive. I like to think we offer something for everyone.

At the end of day, aren't we all about making this a strong, vibrant community?
    drz1, philoscience, Martenus and 2 others like this.
  2. zayoodman

zayoodman New Member

I just signed up but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it or not. Can I stay like this or should I unregister?
  3. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

isn't that what these swiss are going to xD the elimination tourney for the players that got 10 points and up? xP
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You can stay on the list or remove yourself. Whichever works for you.

Registration will be open until right before the tournament starts. Brackets aren't finalized until we start the the tournament, so you could add or remove yourself that morning and either way works.
  5. trialq

trialq Post Master General

HandsTogether.jpg
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

You were not the first person to think about it. Such style is called Multi-Stage tournament, it is the very same style used in the Football ("soccer" for pussies) World Cup. The Challonge devs are aware of that and are already working on it.

I would go as far as to say: "Watch Exodus, learn something new, and then play PACE to practice" :)
    It is unevitable that all of you got somewhat used to Exodus style, it is okay with that, we don't mind. But you must always keeping in mind that Exodus is not PACE and PACE is not Exodus, we have our different styles and ways to promote a tournament, and we will always be different. Well, what would you expect if we were doing exactly the same thing they do??

and speaking about money pool, I guess we should change our prize for this little adorable kitty

[​IMG]
    (just kidding, dont take it too serious!)
  7. SikkeSakke

SikkeSakke Member

I'm in. Most probably I can make it but can't be 100% sure because there's still month to go before tournament starts. Let's say I'm 94,9% sure I can make it.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

Woohoo! Welcome to the party!
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I'm in! Looking forward to playing in one of these again, and there's plenty of time for me to practice and get better than Matiz. ;)
  10. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

If he's tired you might just win(which is how things turned out in the last tournament)!
  11. brianpurkiss

There's plenty of time to practice!
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I personally like the idea of more games. The double elimination was nice in the tourney a while back as after getting pwned by Gandalf + Custard (not a pair you want to draw early!) we actually went on a bit further rather than it all being over.

I'll try and make this tourney if possible, will be the first time I've played in a 1 v 1 tourney for PA and I think the swiss format will give me the opportunity to try a few games which is good.
    stuart98, LavaSnake and brianpurkiss like this.
  13. brianpurkiss

And that is exactly why we go with the Swiss style tournament.

Sure, the top players may prefer a standard elimination, but that's because they actually get to keep on playing.

This way, everyone wins, in that, they get to continue playing against other players that are at their skill level.

Hope you can make it @cdrkf!
    cdrkf, totalannihilation and drz1 like this.
  14. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

sounds cool, I'll give it a watch. I would imagine that one, or more, "big rock" features may be added by then too, which should make things SUPER AWESOME.
  15. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I prefer double elimination as it doesn't have the bye issue that swiss has and it doesn't have the "I'm the second best player but due to seed derpiness I get taken out by the best player in the first round" issue that single elimination has.
  16. brianpurkiss

Due to the various issues created by byes, we're no longer giving any grace to people who show up late. So byes will no longer be an issue.

Double bracket is interesting though...
  17. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Rules will be stricter this time around. BEWARE!
  18. 2sideddice

2sideddice New Member

My parents are only turning on the internet for 4 hours a day during the summer. Can I participate for just those 4 hours? Or do I need to find a way to participate the whole way through.
  19. brianpurkiss

Well, you could participate for only those times, but it'd be a really uncool thing to leave partway through, knowing you won't be able to participate in the whole thing.

Players leaving partway through causes all kinds of issues for the brackets and lowers the overall experience for everyone that is participating.
  20. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Why don't you make a deal with them. Cut the grass and don't go on the internet for a day. If they disagree with that then they are jerks :p. Tell them clopse said that.