Terrible Lag and FPS Drops.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by damnhippie, May 26, 2014.

1. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

It seemed that over time the game was becoming more optimised and I could play games with less and less freezes, lag and huge FPS tanks which I believe to be the cause of the server more than my PC because the game isn't maxing out any part of my hardware. However this most recent update really seems to have made the game unplayable for me. The game freezes and stutters constantly now and it is reaching the point where I don't want to play because of this. Am I doing something wrong and if so how do I fix this issue? As I said the game isn't really making my computer work very hard so I don't believe that the hardware is at fault. Also my Internet connection is pretty good (10Mbit down 2.5 up). All drivers etc have been updated and the integrity of local files checked through steam. As I said, the situation was slowly improving before this update but now I'm back to square one.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

upload your dxdiax.txt

and uninstall any and all mods.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

4. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I don't HAVE any mods, as I said the game had slowly been getting better but this latest patch seems to have sent it backwards. Do you get constant freezes and slowdowns ingame from about 10mins+ into the game in this build? I'm almost entirely convinced this is server side.
  5. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Been there done that, made absolutely not difference because as I said the game is barely using the graphics card anyway and I have 8GB of RAM which never fills up. Do you get freezes and slowdowns ingame? This is a large problem I'm noticing that few people seem to really care about. Most people I know who have bought this game have stopped playing because they would rather play something that runs at an acceptable frame rate.
  6. brianpurkiss

No. The game is silky smooth for me, and I play on maxed graphics.

Something is wrong, because PA has a really good framerate these days. And people are regularly talking about how the new update increased performance.

We do care about framerate – we're just not having framerate issues.

The people you know probably don't have updated drivers. That's the cause in at least 49 out of 50 cases.
  7. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

My issue is the same, it isn't FPS lag it's net lag. Before GW I was getting lag only later in the game and unfortunately now I'm lagging from 5 minutes in. It's terrible because I can lose the entire war just because I am lagging so hard I can't respond to a threat in time. I know it is net lag because all the units animations and such are still running flawlessly
  8. brianpurkiss

Are you playing on the correct server? I don't run into net lag even when I'm playing on european servers (I'm in central US)
  9. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

This is why I am concerned. A lot of people seem to be suffering from this and similar issues and yet others claim they don't have this issue at all. Are we doing something wrong?
  10. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

I'll double check. What is the internet speed requirement again? A quick google isn't yielding results. IIRC it is 2Mb/s?It should be on the right server, I have always played on EU, even the US servers were not an issue
  11. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Update-Omfg. It's working fine now I swapped to EU. I don't know why it was on US but wow, I feel like a ******* tonsil.
    drz1 and brianpurkiss like this.
  12. brianpurkiss

Unfortunately I'm not the best person to ask. :-/ Hopefully @SXX will drop by.

Are you using the correct server?

Because @nofear1299 just switched to a better server and seems to be doing a lot better.
  13. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Just another thought - My AI spawned in a shitty place so that may have affected it, will play another now and report back. (by a shitty place meaning he built like 3 buildings)
  14. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I'll see if that's the problem, thanks for the advice.
  15. brianpurkiss

Cool deal. Lemme know if that works.
  16. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I have been having alot of the exact same lag that OP is talking about. You can't select units, selection is laggy and unresponsive, camera is unresponsive etc. It is definitely not an inadequate hardware problem because these issues never occured in builds before galactic wars...

Is there an ingame profiler we can use when we experience these problems, to see what exactly is going on?

If it is related to the US server, i'm wondering why network issues are causing FPS drops and unresponsiveness in the UI. Arn't these usually independent from one another in games that don't do alot of prediction?
  17. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Ok, it is running much better. Thanks for reminding me of that @brianpurkiss
  18. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Same thing happened again, FPS starts to slow as the game goes on then it just freezes completely and my PC isn't working hard at all, returned to the menu after a few mins. I think this is the Über servers which just can't cope as I think I remember this happening last time there was a sale.
  19. brianpurkiss

Except we're not in peak times right now. The servers aren't as full as they are normally during non-sale peak times. I still think something else is going on right now, I just have no clue what it is. :-(
  20. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Decided to ask around in a few lobbies and everyone is reporting the same problems so I don't know how you're doing it Brian. I think the servers can't cope with the traffic, however I am not an expert.