KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Darn, so close! I thought it looks a bit small for a Heirodule.

Those new Crons are really quite inventive, I love the direction the army has gone in since 3ed. Anyhow, /derail :)
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Also something I wanted to mention but Forgot, I thought up of a potential name for the first variant;

[​IMG]

The Tyrant Commander

Still kinda on the fence about it but overall I like it.

Mike
    cdrkf, Devak and lokiCML like this.
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Looking really good. The Tyrant sounds like an good name.
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I really love it :)
    Any chance to have it for sell in the Armory or will you keep it just for you ? :)
  5. KNight

Thanks, as for the Armory Stuff I dunno yet, it's a really complex issue and I've written a few pretty big posts in this thread alone so far starting HERE, in short I'm super undecided and while I knew it might come up as an option that was about all I know and this came completely unannounced even to me.

It is something I want to pursue but depending on what I learn I don't know if I'll execute on it yet. We'll just have to wait and see, I'll certainly let you guys know as much as I can when I can.

In other less depressing news it turns out I mega-derped and forgot that the rig actually has TWO spine sections in the Torso and not just one so I need to revamp the "gut" of the Tyrant so that it works for that, luckily I don't really need to chance anything hugely in terms of design it's just re-doing the meshes to allow for all the right movements.

Mike
  6. KNight

Whelp, I think at this point I've done everything I've needed to on the Tyrant for now, so lets show him off with a bit of flair yeah?

[​IMG]

It took me awhile to remember how do do this type of render in XSI, and to troubleshoot some parts of making it a GIF but all told I'm pretty happy with it! It does feel a little fast and thinking back, I didn't really NEED to optimize it so much, maybe tomorrow I'll have a second go at it...

Also a quick first pass on an Ambient Occlusion render before bed;

[​IMG]

But for now I think I'll get some sleep!

Mike
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  7. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

I can't wait to see if fully textured. In the meanwhile, give us an AO rendered GIF :)
  8. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Wohoo! Amazing stuff, knight! Very impressive!
  9. KNight

Maybe, still tweaking with the AO settings yet, only just got up after all.

Mike
  10. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

That commander look f*cking awesome dude! maybe Uber will let you sell those on there store :D
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

guess delta/invictus has a propper competitor now ...
    if only those knees ... if only ...
    but it´s fine ... i think you are on a point were you can´t fiddle around with it too much, no?
  12. KNight

Well it depends on what you specific issue is with the legs, there are several factors at work like being locked into certain proportions by the Right itself;

[​IMG]

Which I use the Big Knee Pads to try and hide/disguise. I also used some tricks to try and fake it, to make it look like the knee joint isn't as low as it it but you can only take that so far before the illusion breaks;

[​IMG]

There there is the issue that the legs don't look big enough for the upper body and while I do still agree, I can't make them longer because of the rig and I can't make them thicker/wider because I'm already pushing the rig to it's absolute limits;

[​IMG]

I push it any more and the thighs will be clipping into the arms and the ankles will just look too weird with the offset joint.

Maybe one day I'll be able to make a commander completely from scratch, but until then I have to work with what I got.

Mike
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

my complaint was that their positioning was to low, but as you said already pushing it more would make it clip

having the kneepads and changing the feet to how they look now both seemed to help hiding it i suppose ...
    wondering how the end result will look like when animated on ground though ...

edit:
    i´m rewatching the rotating model over and over ... it actualy feels right there ...
    or i am missing something ... but i realy have to see how it´ll look fully animated ...
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  14. doud

doud Well-Known Member

trully impressive knight ! We all wanted to have special people involved in (Ai, Pathfinding). You should have been recruited for designing commanders and other units :)
  15. KNight

Well here we go, a long process for me but in the end...

[​IMG]

I think it came out pretty nice wouldn't you say?

Mike
    kayonsmit101, Devak, cdrkf and 4 others like this.
  16. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Hell yeahhhhh !!!! put it in the Armory i will be happy to get it for 20$ :)
  17. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

That looks great! Well done.
  18. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

AO renders of white models are really nice. I'm not sure why, but I just like the art style of it.
    I often like my models better when they're like that than when they're fully textured (partially because I suck at creating textures myself :p )
    rorschachphoenix likes this.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Have to say, the final version looks pretty damn sweet.
  20. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Id pay 30 :p