[IDEA] FFA Truce system.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, May 26, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

This is an idea I've been playing around with in my mind that I'd like to share and see opinions on.

So let me start with a scenario: 3 people are on a planet, and player 1 is vastly more powerful than players 2 and 3.
    This is a moment that would cause panic in most players, not only is player 2 facing against someone stronger than them, but at any moment they could also be attacked by player 3 and weakened even further.
    But player 3 might not want to attack player 2 because if he does his army would take a hit, making it impossible to retaliate against player 1.
    Player 1 clearly has a big advantage, but what if there was a way to even the playing field a little bit?

Hence my idea, the truce system.
    This was actually inspired by the new in-game UI, it gave me the idea to diplomatically interact with other players with just a single click.
    Let me explain.

What IS the truce system?
    It's just as it sounds, it's a UI element that allows 2 players to enter a momentary cease fire to deal with a larger threat. When a truce is activated between players, towers, units and the like will not fire between each other, allowing large-scale team-ups in FFA without bullets flying in all directions.

How does it work?
    Here's a (terrible) visualization of how I'd think the UI would work.
    truce.png
    The interface under the player icons will be used to activate truces, but of course a ceasefire is a two-way street, you can't have an alliance when one side won't comply.
    So, the way I'd imagine this working is as follows:
    1: Player 1 clicks player 2's truce icon
    2: Player 2 gets a notification and player 1's truce icon changes to show that he wants a truce
    3: Player 2 can then either click player 1's truce icon, activating the truce, or ignore it for a certain amount of time (say, 20 seconds) after which player 1 will be notified that player 2 has rejected his offer.
    4: If player 2 accepts, player 1 and player 2 basically enter alliance mode

This could be useful to, as said above, deal with threats that can't be dealt with alone, both on single planets and in invasions.

How is a truce broken?
    This is a problematic thing indeed, I mean breaking a truce by plopping 16 vanguards on a commander isn't exactly balanced or fair, so obviously there needs to be some sort of method.

The only real way I could think of is truces being timed, lasting 5 or 10 minutes (or a set amount of time by the person making the truce)

So what do you guys think?
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

You realize this is already in the game right? It's they "Dynamic Alliances" option in the lobby...
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. tehtrekd

Oh THAT'S what that is?!?
    Holy ****, I didn't know ;_; I'll get a mod to lock the thread.
    Edit: Also you should totally be able to lock your own threads.
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

What you HAVEN'T trolled a friend with this yet!?
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. tehtrekd

Nope, didn't even know it was a thing.
    Guess I should've experimented more with this build :/
    PeggleFrank likes this.