Galactic War update issue

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by aapl2, May 22, 2014.

1. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

The hotkey system implemented is so unintuitive and hard to set up, when will we ever see a fix for this awful system?
    mishtakashi and elodea like this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

When hotbuild updates.
  3. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. :(
    squishypon3, Alphasite and tatsujb like this.
  4. tohron

tohron Active Member

I still haven't figured out how to build units. And on that note... how do I build units now?
  5. tehtrekd

Try uninstalling your mods if you haven't. Mods mess with the UI.
  6. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

How is this hard? It is super clear!! I really like how it is implemented into the UI so that you always use the same set of buttons based on the location in the UI ;)
  7. tehtrekd

The problem is if you're using WASD camera controls then when you're trying to move the camera to select some metal spots to build on you'll randomly end up building radars.
  8. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I have set the mouse to scroll the planet on the edges like I am used to. But I get that that is a problem.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

[​IMG]
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I double-tap C to select and center my view on my commander a lot.
    Since C is a hotbuild key now, this is no longer possible (first hit selects commander, second selects a hotkey). :oops:
    elodea likes this.
  11. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Ok guys, the system is not THAT bad, it is a little strange (select category->select action in category) an extra step that you did not have to do in Hotbuild. It will be great for newbies but for us who used to use hotbuild it seems a little slow to have to press two keys instead of just one. Also if you mess up there is no quick and easy cancel key you have to un-select the unit and re-select it a BIG time waster where using a mouse would be easier. Furthermore some of the hot keys are in WASD which makes you move a direction when you select some thing with one of them.

Those are my only grievances with the new shiny set up.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  12. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

I don't have a problem with it, other than i think its too big. takes up too much screen space..
    aapl2 likes this.
  13. elodea

elodea Post Master General

The new hotkey system is very clunky and problematic. Here are the issues I am having with it. For me anyway, it's made the multiplayer game literally unplayable. And the single player stuff really inacessible/frustrating, which is sad because the update content looks so great!

1. Build category locks
    Cannot double click zoom to group when one of those 'boxes' are highlighted (or do any other functions really). Basically, pressing z,x,c locks you out of doing anything else with hotkeys. Having to deselect everything before doing anything else is a real pain.

For example, use a hotkey to build a unit on a factory. Now you have to deselect it and select it again to use a build loop hotkey on it.

*Ontop of needing to deselect, it looks like there is a minimum amount of time that needs to pass before the box is registered as unselected and you are freed to use other hotkey functions

2. Over complication of key presses
    Two key presses to select all buildable items is unnecessary and overly complex. This wouldn't be a problem if
    a) there was only two tabs instead of three (preferably one tab, or the option to have one tab pls).
    b) one of the tab/s was always selected as default so that we wouldn't need to press two keys every single time.
    c) Factories which only have one tab should not require a keypress to select the tab..

3. Unbindable hotkeys
    Unable to truly unbind the build item bindings. I'm fast running out of random keys I'll never use to bind those build items to. Also, never have hotkeys bound to numbers, as those are used for zooming to grouped units. Even if you fix issue 1 as above, you will most assuredly have conflicts here by default.

4. Redundant boxes
    The hotkey window for fabricators is absolutely massive and covers like 30% of the vertical space on screen. More than 50% of it going to empty boxes...

Small one, but binding options no longer alert for conflicts. Which is a pain when you are trying to scan through quickly to see where the problems are.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    mishtakashi likes this.