Galactic War Issue

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, May 22, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Galactic War is looking to be pretty awesome.

There's a glaring issue though: the randomness of the tech upgrades.

Two quick examples.

I keep on getting upgrades for unit tiers that I don't have. For example, I got two techs that buff my air units – but I don't have any air units.

Second, I just went up against an AI that was in the middle of a lake, and I had absolutely no way of getting at him. No air, naval, orbital, nukes. Nothing. All the AI had to do was sit in the middle of the lake and I couldn't touch him.

At any rate. Galactic War is off to a great start. I'm glad that one German article was way off.
    carlorizzante, Remy561 and cdrkf like this.
  2. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

The randomness is the point; Galactic War is all about being even more creative and flexible than you normally would be in multiplayer games. It's about dealing with limitations -- and hoping you lift them.
    proeleert, warrenkc, lokiCML and 2 others like this.
  3. brianpurkiss

There's a different between adapting to limitations and complete inability to do anything.

I didn't have any units that could get into the middle of the lake. The only unit that could get out into the lake, but that can't stand up to a navy while solo.

I had absolutely no way to deal damage to anything that wasn't on the edge of the lake. Unless I could rewrite the code and increase the range of an Ant, I can't touch anything that wasn't along the shoreline.

:-/
    drz1, keterei and thomdejong101 like this.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm sure there are some legit issues like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

"First pass of the second pass" and all. :)
    drz1 likes this.
  6. neutrino

Well for galactic war it's the first pass of the first pass.
    bradaz85, drz1, lokiCML and 4 others like this.
  7. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Good one for that. Also, gotta say, love the little pieces of history with every system. I'm one of those weirdos who read the little backstories of the skirmish maps in SupCom as well though so not sure if my opinion counts.
  8. neutrino

Yes we are trying to roll some more of the backstory into the game now.
  9. BradNicholson

Right on. I can see why that's frustrating, but this isn't a traditional campaign. Winning isn't a certainty, and at some points, it requires a bit of luck.
  10. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

replying to this and the thread locked five seconds ago by brad, i had nothing to build but tank factories in the first battle of galactic war. however, the factories couldn't build any units because i did not have any tech since this was my first battle. the ai however, was fully equipped which would be manageable if i had more than my commander.
  11. BradNicholson

That's the point of the mode -- sometimes, you're going to feel limited.
  12. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Limited is fine, not being able to do anything should be avoided ;) But I don't think it will happen that much, I've played 10 GW games and no problems at all ;)

PS: I love my Beast friendly neighbourhood AI ^^
    drz1, stuart98 and brianpurkiss like this.
  13. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is just me but t1 tanks don't seem to fire in ONLY the galactic war. I notice it mainly when I am trying to kill the commander with them -_- (all mods are off)
  14. brianpurkiss

In my opinion, luck should have no place in an RTS game. I should win because I out strategized my opponent, not because I got lucky and got the better upgrade than my opponent did.

Especially when I get put in positions of literally absolutely no way to win. Definitely the exception and not the rule, but frustrating nonetheless.
    carlorizzante, stuart98 and Remy561 like this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Haha, I did the same thing! I read all the descriptions of all the maps. :D
  16. Paappa

Paappa Member

My first galactic war came to shrieking halt when I discovered that massed astreus are bugged and do not drop units to other planets. They were my only option to attack enemy on other planet. AI had lots of anti orbital and planes, which did invasion nearly impossible.
  17. brianpurkiss

That's a very unfortunate bug. :-(

I can't wait until we can just rain down a hundred Astrauses loaded with tanks and whatnot. It'll be epic.
  18. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I usually throw in orbital fighters, then about 10 orbital fabbers and build a little Anchor fort. Then a teleporter. Which cues the inevitable bomber cloud of death. Which is now countered by the Anchors. Pretty fun. It still takes me an average of 3 destroyed teleporters to get a foothold, but it's still awesome.
  19. Paappa

Paappa Member

yeah so would I. But I only had naval tech (system had no water, so no T2). :) So only orbital unit I could build was astreus. Galactic map was also build so that only move I could make was to attack that system.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you need to report this on lennard's bugtracker