Brace yourself for the Galactic War has come!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by siefer101, May 22, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I found Toy Rush mildly enjoyable but it was crippled, as all other free games, by the freemium model of play. TBH it wasn't as bad as some others, but I lost any incentive to play after a couple of days.
    That said, PA is not free-to-play, and so doesn't have to rely on pushing microtransactions, or limiting play time, to achieve its goals.
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I imagine so seeing as how it was translated to English with Google Translate.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Well, no. I don't think so. I'm German and I can't really spot something bad in the translation...
  4. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I meant it primarily as a joke, but yeah.

I actually find toy rush to be a nice 5-10 minute distraction. It's quite playable without paying a penny, and I find myself coming back to it fairly often. Having multiplayer relatively low-risk also helps.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We want to do something. What exactly it is, we're not sure yet. Multiplayer is far more difficult to pull off.

"Cards" is a horrible misnomer. Imagine a typical RTS campaign, but instead of it being scripted, it's programatically generated. So your tech tree improvement as you play through grows in different directions and forcing you to make the hard choices of the units you want to keep, making it super replayable.

There are no microtransactions in the Galactic War.
    We have this other game, might of heard of it, Toy Rush, where we do our microtrans. And it's fun too!
    nateious, ArchieBuld, drz1 and 3 others like this.
  6. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

The upgrades make the campaign progress over time. Imagine you had all units right from the beginning. Every battle would be kind of the same. Starting with only some units makes the game different at the beginning and makes you wanna have new units to play with. And all that jazz with other players...against other players? I just say:

AWESOME. (*scathis' spinning head*)

But to be honest, I don't really the voice notifications though. It just doesn't fit into the "BRUTALLY EFFICIENT SELF-REPLICATING MECHANISM OF WAR" theme. It should be a really robotic voice, which doesn't even sound human anymore. I can't give any examples unfortunately.o_O
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Yes. AND ITS AWESOME.

Personally, I am interested to see what ya'll did to this galactic War idea. I hope it is better than expected :D
  8. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Also, when today?? I want to know when I should be online for dis....
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

And that sounds awesome – and nothing like what the article portrays.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Available RIGHT NOW!

Why, Uber, why are you making liars of them all? ;)
    drz1 likes this.
  12. scathis

Timing is hard.
    cdrkf, ArchieBuld, drz1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

14. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Bad phrasing from the journalist then? Well that's unheard of! ;)
    drz1 likes this.
  15. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

So is waiting.....
    scathis likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

When Uber links to an article, I expect it to be accurate.
  17. superouman

superouman Post Master General

18. scathis

We're just happy to be in the news!

<3
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Actually, that would require a tutorial. Just a list of scenarios would work, savegames if you will, where you get 1 army and they get 1 army and it is arranged in a way and you are somehow instructed on some tips to follow through in it.

Something like, 7 metal clusters, 5 on the outside 2 on the inside, and it instructs you to land and build 2 ecostructures and a factory on your landing spot and use your commander with as little walking as possible, then build 5 fabbers and 2 antiair and have them capture 2 outside clusters and fortify them, then build combat units to occupy a space between those 2 points and an empty metal cluster, then build another factory and do the same to expand to the other 3 points while building more combat units on another space between another 3 points. Maybe send some air harassment his way to ensure he is building antiair like requested, maybe send some combat units to test his reaction to them, maybe send a "hoarde" when he just starts colonizing the last two just to test his ability to deflect an attack using a combo of turrets and units.

Maybe another one after that testing the exact opposite, where he is told there is a fresh computer opponent who landed. He is attempting to colonize the planet and you are supposed to hamper colonization. Build your starting point, then an air factory and bot factory, then scout for him and snipe his fabbers that attempt to expand to distant clusters. At first, the enemy fabbers are alone and bombers can hit them. Then tell him to clean up mexes with raiding bots. Then tell him bots will start to have AA, so hit the fabbers with raiding bots. Have a handful of bots station on random metal spots to intercept. Have him send his own AA and fabbers to collect the points as the repels the enemy cluster captures, then have him respond to a hoarde attempt at capturing a metal cluster, telling him it is ok to lose the cluster as your retreat to kill the army, then to build pelters to ensure the enemy can't build on it either.

Stuff like that.
  20. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Telling from those videos you have completely overdone the voice notifications. Nobody needs "Chrono Cam engaged"... it's like... "You don't say, Mrs. Obvious!". Notifications are for stuff you might miss if you are not informed about it, not something you just made happen yourself through a direct command.
    bradaz85 likes this.