Next PACE Tournament – Six Ways to Awesome

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, May 20, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Announcing the next PACE tournament! This will be another open 6 round Swiss Style tournament. It is also the last opportunity to qualify for the Progenitor Cup. Be there!

Name: Six Ways to Awesome
    Date: June 14th
    Time: 18:00 UTC (countdown timer)
    Type: Open Swiss Style
    Prize: $50 total split between first, second, and third
    Where: Meet on the PACE TeamSpeak (no mic required) 5 minutes before the tournament starts. If you are late, you will be removed tournament!
    PACE TeamSpeak: teamspeak.paceleague.com

Register

Volunteers

As always, PACE is a community run organization. Anyone can hop in and help! We need casters and organizers. If you are interested in helping, contact @oathalliance.

Progenitor Cup

The Progenitor Cup takes place twice a year, and participants must qualify for it in previous PACE tournaments. The first Progenitor Cup will take place on July 12th, with more info to follow.

Just know, the Six Ways to Awesome tournament is the last opportunity to qualify for the Progenitor Cup.
    drz1 and Murcanic like this.
  2. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

It's going to be awesome guys!
    Murcanic likes this.
  3. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

4. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Prepare to be...

annihilated.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Hopefully the last Swiss style tournament the game will ever see.
    elodea likes this.
  7. brianpurkiss

I'd love to hear your feedback on why you don't like the Swiss style tournament.

It has a lot of upsides to standard elimination, particularly for newer players. It means they get to play more, and end up playing against players of their own skill levels.
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

For me, because round byes really screw it up. If one person is absent, free wins get given out to players unequally. These swiss style tournaments only truly work when there is 100% participation

Sometimes you would prefer to actually play someone than take a bye, since those wins generally have lesser value in a tie break and you only have a limited number of games you can play.

Swiss style tournaments are good for community inclusion and fun i agree (I enjoy them from the perspective of just having fun). But i would never put a prize pool on them. 2nd and 3rd place in swiss style do not necessarily mean those players are 2nd or 3rd best. 3rd might have beaten 2nd in some round, but still come 3rd.
  9. brianpurkiss

For the next tournament, as stated in the rules, if you're late, you're out. No more byes.

We were trying to be lenient since it's more focused on fun and community. But byes just screw it up too much, so no more byes.
    mered4 and stuart98 like this.
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Yes, but what happens if a player drops out mid way? What happens if you have an odd number of players from round 1?
  11. brianpurkiss

Odd number of players, we add in a hard AI at the bottom of the seed.

Player drops out midway? Uncommon. But if a player drops out and it becomes odd, we add in a hard AI at the bottom of the seed, if a player drops out and it becomes even, we remove the hard AI. To me that's more fair than a player moving onto the next round for free, especially since AI matches never determine the outcome of the top players.
  12. Clopse

As a tournament format it is real bad. It's like a 1 day ladder and inaccurate the less games that are played. Not knowing what has to be done is bad for a spectator and worse for the player.

Take the end of the last tournament for example. Myself and custard and Matt and choppy. Basically these were two finals. Matt winning was the only way we had a sure winner. Rest of us hadn't a clue what we needed. I was sure I hadn't a chance so wasn't so bothered.

Yes Swiss is a better system for all skill levels but isn't accurate enough for my liking. Takes too long and you could be playing for 6 hours but lose because you lost an early game.
    elodea likes this.
  13. brianpurkiss

As opposed to single elimination where you get an unlucky ladder slot and you're out the very first match? You could be the second best player out there, and only play one match.

Any tournament format has its drawbacks.

For the purposes of PACE's main goals, Swiss meets those goals better than single elimination. It gets lots of community participation and everyone gets to play a lot and have a lot of fun.

This is also why we change it up and for the Progenitor Cup we're going to go with Standard Elimination.
  14. Clopse

If that's the way you want pace that's great. I would argue that watching the rest of the tournament than playing 6 more games is better for the community. As somebody that loves watching games I would watch any semi or finals but not a random game between two players because it should be a good game.

This however is just my view. If you want more people to watch these than you may want to think about reshuffling it a bit. Have you and oath dual cast while watching the game on a main pace twitch similar to how exodus do it. I believe you cast mine and burnts game which turned out to be the final but wasn't streamed. If I was watching the tournament I would have hated this.
  15. brianpurkiss

The main purpose of the Swiss style tournaments isn't for watching, especially not on a specific channel that only the top whomever gain access to. The Progenitor Cup will cater more towards spectating though since it's only for people who have qualified.

Besides, the best matches are never the expected best matches. Watching afterwards on YouTube has always been my preferred method.

The point is to get people playing the game. We want the game format to cater to people actually playing, not people watching the elite caster's channel.

Your match was recorded, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it yet. Been lazy. The main viewing method of a Swiss style match isn't live, but afterwards, since there's 6 matches going at once. That allows for more play – which is the point. Playing the game.
    totalannihilation likes this.
  16. Clopse

Well live competitions between the best players is what I consider to be esports.

I like my games been watched live. It's a bit of a buzz and adds loads of atmosphere for a player to know people are watching you play. :D

Sorry about the bluntness btw of my first message. I didn't realise I sent that til I seen 5 notifications. Wasn't a finished post.
  17. brianpurkiss

It does add something, I won't deny that. But in order to have a format that is built completely around spectating, the fun/playing for the players must be cut back.

PACE is meant for all players, and I know new players really enjoy the opportunity to be in a tournament and actually get to play. That can't be done with Exodus.

Exodus is all about getting Twitch/Youtube views.

PACE is all about getting anyone and everyone to come together and play.

I'm a big boy and equally blunt. We're good. :)
  18. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

I'm also fan of bracket style, preferably with double elimination since ro8. Swiss is too much mess and uncertanity, one time I was the only guy who was 5-0 and then I lost and it placed me as 4th guy and this was totally out of my hand how skilled opponents I was getting. There is also no clear final as it has been previously mentioned and in my opinion games don't have this thrill emotion of "i need to win or i am out". Also I think from streaming perspective If I wanted to watch the tourney there is no clear best stream and best games.
    The only advantage of swiss is that it allows newer players to play all rounds which is indeed noble idea, but I think it's better when there is no money involved and if there is, it's better to go bracket with seeds.
    Just sharing my opinion, it's obviously your tourney so do with this opinion whatever you want. :)
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    stuart98, Clopse and elodea like this.
  19. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Some sort of mix might be good, an inclusive first half narrowing to a focal point at the end, however the hell that would work. Maybe swiss for three rounds, all but top 16 eliminated, single elimination to end.
    cdrkf and totalannihilation like this.
  20. brianpurkiss

That's an interesting idea...

Wonder how that could be worked out...
    cdrkf likes this.