Armoury; Commander Micro-transactions.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, May 16, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Alright since the last thread was closed I'll take on what Brad told us to do and create a new one based on commanders and micro-transactions.

So then, how should it work? Do you think that Exclusive commanders should be buy-able on the market as well, I personally don't, but what do you think? All I want is a whole section of non-exclusive commanders that can be bought for a cheap price.

Note: Please keep this thread civil; don't fill it with conspiracies...
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I don't think PA should have micro-transactions. I'd be totally cool with uber adding commanders in expansions, or just putting one in for free every once in a while. Other than that, it would be awesome if after release uber could look at community-created commanders and implement any that they like into the vanilla PA.

But micro-transactions are bad, and we shouldn't include them IMO.
    Twinstar likes this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I wouldn't mind paying maybe 2 or 3 dollars for exclusive commanders.

Mostly because I really, REALLY want that millipede commander!

So long as the micro-transactions are cosmetic and stay far, FAR, F-A-R, FAR away from pay-2-win I'd be alright with it.
  4. squishypon3

Well at the very least it would just be aesthetic, which is nice. Though it is true that it would be the best if there were free DLC every once and a while with a commander included but a companies gotta' live, this one in particular has had a very rough past. I personally wouldn't really mind some micro-transactions though and it seems that they WILL be included from statements in the past; oh and I love your idea on community created commanders being implemented; even whole game skins. (Basically the Steam workshop on steroids.)
    emraldis likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

No. They're exclusive Commanders.

I have several Commanders from being a Kickstarter backer that I don't want anyone else to be able to buy next year.

I don't think we have to worry about collecting all the Commanders, because Uber seems to imply that there will be a ton of Commanders – more than we could feasibly collect. Especially since some of them are from events and whatnot, like the Beast Commander.

Edit: I do like the idea of Uber creating new Commanders and making them available for a few bucks though.
  6. emraldis

This is how I envision you while you typed that:

[​IMG]

:p
  7. squishypon3

Agreed, I must admit though I respect Uber greatly and don't feel angered at all by these new retail commanders, I'd be a little miffed if they sold people my Alpha, Delta, etc... for a couple bucks. ;)
    corteks likes this.
  8. tehtrekd

Maybe it'd be a good thing to do a couple years after initial release?
    After the pre-release days are all in the back of our cerebral cortex and we wouldn't mind everyone having our early access commanders?

OR!
    HOLY HELL, GUYS HEAR ME OUT.

Let's say that over the course of like, a few months or something, Uber makes something like 50 or so commanders, alright?
    And instead of selling or giving them away, they become in-game unlockables that are randomly given to players after they win a match, kind of like the Toy Rush card packs.

And to remove the grind-y aspect, you can TRADE these commanders!

Tell me that wouldn't be awesome!
    ...or is it just me?
  9. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

I also think micro transactions after you bought a game is wrong, i know i know you DON'T have to buy them, but it feels like a damn cheap way to try and get more money. If you buy a game in a store you don't want micro transaction you expect a full game with everything in it. I'm also of the opinion that uber puts way way way to mutch effort in creating al these commanders for money and it reeks.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

On the other hand, what do you call it when you have to buy the game three or four times to get all of the commanders along with 2 or 3 copies of the game that you don't need? I'd much rather $10 micro transactions over having two buy the game three times to get exclusive coms.
    shootall likes this.
  11. squishypon3

What about DLC? That's an addition to a game, yes on a bigger scale, but still. This is like tiny DLC except it's not even an entirely new gameplay aspect... Literally just cosmetic.
  12. squishypon3

You call it me, as I'm buying both those new additions, and have already bought cosmic in addition to my 90$ steam version. I'm crazy I know. :D
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The older the game gets, the less I want other people to have my Kickstarter Exclusive Commanders.

That I like your randomly getting Commanders, as long as my Kickstarter Commanders are still Exclusives.
    sporemaster18 and emraldis like this.
  14. emraldis

I still think that steam early-access buyers should get an exclusive commander... If I had known that I wouldn't be able to upgrade the steam version I would have bought it from the store...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  15. Kursah

Kursah New Member

I'd rather see accomplishments in game provide commanders. Create challenges, achievements or something. Forget micro transactions...leave that to the P2W and MMO folks...it has no business here. Just microtransactions for commanders isn't enough...then it'll be extra features that were "supposed" to have been with the game in the first place.

Make some challenges to beat and accomplishments for Galactic Conquest, MP, Skirmishes, etc... and earn the commanders you don't have by winning (and maybe even losing) in the game we all love to play. I'd rather be playing that paying more. I'm happy with whatever commanders I get from kickstarting, etc...but why should we pay for the other ones after the game's release? We shouldn't imho. We should be playing and enjoying the game.

It'd also be cool if there was a commander designer to unlock or gain via achievement.
    Fr33Lancer and emraldis like this.
  16. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

The "exclusive" commanders are just cosmetic, arent they? Since they dont provide an actual ingame advantage (which would be a step towards pay2win) - who cares? Its just a model with no real use or did I miss some changes? Release them all for everyone, except the custom made ones.

btw. if you kill someone by reclaiming his comm it should be added to you list of available ones.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  17. tehtrekd

Yeah, I guess I can see where you're coming from, as early backers quit the backer commanders become more novel and all that.

Fair enough.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  18. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

The hole game industry is just fucked since somewhere it was decided that the price of a game shouldn't go up and they had to find a solution to compensate and make more money, and the DLC was born. No matter how you look at it, DLC/Microtransactions it does not matter, both have the same goal. Now since the commanders are only cosmetic it's the most fair, since yeah we all know the pay to win concept and DLC is just bring 80% of the game on the market and sell the other 20% as multiple DLC for overpriced prices. So yeah in the end if it's only cosmetic i don't really care about it, i might buy some i might not, i'll decide that later. But my opinion stands that way to mutch effort is being put into creating all those commanders to make money on them
  19. squishypon3

Yes I know they are just "cosmetics" but I don't care, I paid 290$ to get my commanders; it wouldn't be right to sell them off for 2 - 5 dollars. It's a visual thing that shows "Hey, I backed this project", "Hey I wanted this game to be made" It's a very significant "cosmetic" item. Please don't downplay it. Also DLC doesn't HAVE to be a "Gimme your money" gimmick, who says developers didn't just want to add to the game? Sure they make you pay for it but that's because they worked on it, work isn't free.
    corteks likes this.
  20. tehtrekd

That's actually changing somewhat. The price of games just went up here in Canada not too long ago, from $60 to $70.

I call bullshit.
    The purpose of a microtransaction is to make money, the purpose of DLC is to increase longevity.
    DLC doesn't deserve the same treatment and demonization that microstransactions get.

Oh, right, they take a whole day and a half out of the art team's schedule to make two commanders and all of a sudden the entire world is headed to destruction.
    Makes total sense.
    paulusss and squishypon3 like this.