[Idea] Different roles for every laser tower

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by hyperioncannon, May 15, 2014.

?

Good idea?

1. Yes

9.1%
  2. No

63.6%
  3. THIS SUCKS!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Change lasers back to state before experimental update!

9.1%
  5. IDK

18.2%
  1. hyperioncannon

hyperioncannon New Member

Right now laser towers just... sucks, but in previous builds lasers were OP as hell, i think this is because we have 3 buildings that practicaly act in the same way

so heres my idea, to change behaviour and role of every single laser tower type

Single laser tower:

Increase range to something like leveler one
    Add ammunition bar to hold 10 shots
    High rate of fire
    Change shoot to red laser with AOE and medium damage
    When tower amunition is depleted fire 1 shot every 1 second (or more)

Counter - everything in large numbers

now single laser tower role is pretty simple, to cover large area and stop small army blob harras and for inner base defense (because nobody is building lasers inside bases anyway so welcome grenadier com snipes!)

Double laser tower:

Lower Fire Rate
    Increase DMG
    Increase range by a little

that double laser tower will have a role of foward defence against hight hp units like infernos, and be usefull again

Counter - bot blobs

Triple laser tower:

Move from t2 to t1
    Change cost to 1500 or something
    Increase rate of fire
    Greatly Decrease dmg
    Change range to that of current dual laser towers (idk if it is like that already)
    Add a very low AOE for projectiles

im pretty sure triple laser tower role is very obvious, to be a low damage cheap bot blob mincer, something like laser minigun

Counter - tank and inferno blobs

..so what do you think?
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. hyperioncannon

hyperioncannon New Member

Oh cmon, nobody?
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Currently the balance of the game is so out of whack that giving rolls to turrets, at least for now, is nearly impossible.
    aevs likes this.
  4. nateious

nateious Active Member

Replace Triple Laser Tower with a Laser tower that has 3 weapons.
    1. Fast rate of fire, low damage, short range laser.
    2. Medium rate of fire, medium damage, medium range laser
    3. Very Slow rate of fire, very high damage, high range laser.

Let them fire independently and target independently.

Because the Doomsday Machine was the coolest laser based base defense ever created. :)
    bradbeattie and stuart98 like this.
  5. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Also make these 3 kinds of turrets independently for T0, T1 and T2
  6. nateious

nateious Active Member

Hmm, from a TA perspective you had Core that had the LLT (like #1), the HLT (like #2) and the Doomsday Machine was the combo LLT and HLT plus a longer ranged slower firing higher damage heavy laser (BLoD).

Arm had #1, #2 and #3 independently, LLT, HLT and Annihilator, but the Annihilator had much better range than the Doomsday BLoD (I think the damage was higher also but I am not positive)

If we went with this formula I would say the T3 turret should either be a combo turret (Doomsday Machine) or a extra long range extra high damage turret (Annihilator) having both might be too much.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Meh, I've come up with some roles myself.

Single laser tower: Slow firerate, longest range turret. High damage single shot. Used to take out high priority targets, a sniper tower.

Double laser tower: Your average tower, useful in many situations and has a lot of general purpose use. Your middle man.

Triple laser tower: Direct opposite of single, very high rate of fire, very low damage, very inaccurate. This is your standard issue anti-mob turret and is great for taking out large waves of lower healthed units.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. nateious

nateious Active Member

Wouldn't this make the single laser tower useless in the early game, when you are most likely to need it, and the triple laser tower less effective in the late game, when you can finally build it?
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The first one, maybe, the second, no, not at all. When does everyone have large groups of T1 units? Late game. At least in the most recent build T1 armies are huge and a large turret with a super fast reload and low damage would work marvelously against these huge mobs of units.
  10. nateious

nateious Active Member

True this build has larger T1 swarms late game, but at the same time late game you have more ways to deal with clumps of T1, gunships, nukes, T2 bombers, Holkins (sorta).
  11. bradbeattie

bradbeattie New Member

The name of this rate limiting concept is the "token bucket", on which Wikipedia has a very good article.
  12. komandorcliff

komandorcliff Member

Token Bucket Laser Tower FTW, i like it :p