[POLL] What do YOU think the "big rock" is?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, May 14, 2014.

?

What do you think the "Big rock" feature will be?

1. Asteroid belts

77 vote(s)
    44.5%
  2. Galactic War

40 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Metal planet death stars

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Better planet smashing

8 vote(s)
    4.6%
  5. Gas giants

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. Better naval, return of the submarines

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. Sand worms

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. Other

13 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

So for those of you that missed it, a news article popped up on PA's official website, this mostly talked about PA's balance and Toy Rush's soon release, but their was a part of it that really caught my eye. The article mentioned a "big rock" feature.

For those of you that didn't see the article yet, this is what they said:
    "Big rock features are high-priority features that either: (a) blend parts of the game to make it more cohesive, (b) amp up the intensity of the game, (c) introduce new mechanics, or (d) add a new mode. Whatever the big rock is, you can bet it’s going to be awesome."

Personally I think it'll be asteroid belts (although I'd love for it to be Galactic War)
    Geers likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hmm.. Sand worms, obviously.

No but seriously, maybe Gas Giants- I know they haven't really mentioned it but what would be more of a perfect surprise? I'd imagine they'd be the easiest out of all the things you've listed anyhow. The basis for it would just be a regular planet only restricted to... Orbital! (Though you would need to make the gas mines and stuff which I actually have their original concept super WIP versions from my old alpha copy. :p )
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Not sure why sand worms are on this poll. Uber has already confirmed that random events and environmental effects that cause damage won't be in the vanilla game. Also, big rocks have nothing to do with sandworms, since, you know, sand.

I'm voting for astroid belts – partly because it makes sense partly because I really want astroid belts. And along with astroid belts, I would imagine we'd get astroid smashing balance changes. If we have a massive supply of smashable rocks, then we simply need rebalanced mechanics so the astroid doesn't destroy the entire planet.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  4. tehtrekd

Just a joke entry :|
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Well, brad did say we were gonna get a major update on galactic war soon, so I'm gonna go with that...
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Sandworms or bust.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Why is Bacon not a specific option?
  8. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I don't get why everyone is hyping over the "big rock" reference. He could easily just be referring to a central piece of the game, such as galactic war, or the unit cannon. (not that we're gonna get the unit cannon)
  9. tehtrekd

*turns out they were serious about the meat shader*
    LavaSnake and trialq like this.
  10. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Asteroid belts. I think death stars are not pivotal to the game, neither are gas giants or naval.

Better planet smashing? how?

I think it's just a pun on an asteroid being a "big rock".
    websterx01 and brianpurkiss like this.
  11. tehtrekd

Basically making it so asteroids don't immediately destroy planets entirely.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  12. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Bacon biome!
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  13. Paappa

Paappa Member

I bet Asteroid belts and some information on Galactic war.
  14. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Erm - a week or two ago they said they were still in the "thinking about it" stage of asteroid belts. I don't think they are THAT fast.
  15. Devak

Devak Post Master General

The difficulty of implementation hinges strongly on how they imagine it's gonna be.

Most of it is already there: planets spawning, moving, etc.
  16. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

When I spoke to Brad he totally wouldn't give me anything, he just said "you're gonna love it bro".

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea for asteroid belts from, my heart feels like it's Galactic War but I think that's kinda just what I want. We haven't seen or really heard any meaty details about something big like Galactic War so I'm leaning towards no on GW.

My money is on a Ranked Ladder because a girl can dream y'know :p
    drz1, Quitch and thetrophysystem like this.
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This. I also thiiink if I remember correctly when discussing the game's necesary features he describes those as big rock features, and those are usually the game actually doing something new in itself.

So, either this is a pun and it is probably asteroid belts, or biome updates dont get me wrong...

...Or they are using that term like they have before, and it is instead something like Galactic War or Social Feature Update like clans or ladders or Game Modes or some sort of hooks to server options. Something testing out a brand new utility usage of the game.

It may seem obviously a pun, but they have used the term "Big Update" when they made server side changes only and the build was identical to players as the last one. So Big Rock might actually mean what I think and it is a brand new development being wired into the game like server options or in-game moderation or social features or metagame or biome and terrain.
  18. superouman

superouman Post Master General

From the word "Rock".

Boooo! Party pooper! :p
  19. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Obviously its a new rock commander that is the size of astroid. (Sarcasm)
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Because rocks have more to do with astroid belts than with the galactic war.