What's this new button in the corner?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by dc443, May 12, 2014.

1. dc443

dc443 Member

I actually am not sure if it is a part of a mod that I happen to have failed to clean up, but I can't tell what the button does, and it has no tooltip.

It's a little curved dotted bezier line, and you click it to toggle a red slash through it (to disable something). Anyone know what I'm talking about? What is it?
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It lets you draw shapes for unit formations.
  3. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

It turns on draw formation. When it's activated (no red slash) select a few units and hold RMB to draw a line. Then left click where you want the units to face. The units will gather in the drawn formation and face the selected direction.
    carlorizzante and drz1 like this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

1. Turn it on.
    2. Select some units
    3. Hold shift and hold RMB while moving the mouse.
    4. When you have drawn the line you want, release RMB.
    5. When you have arranged the formation as you want it, release LMB.

Haven't made too much use of it as of yet, but I'm sure Godde or another spring player will think of something.
  5. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Holy ****, what?!

When did this happen, why didn't anyone tell me :p

The immature side of me wants to attack someone's base with a gaint formation in the shape of a ****.

The mature side of my wants to actauly use it for strategy.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Whynotboth.jpg
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

8. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Do we already have a feedback thread for this?

If not I would suggest the following tweak to how it works:

At the moment unit try to form kind of a box formation which at one side has the shape you have drawn. I think the line you draw should rather determine the entire shape of the formation you are going for, rather than just one side of it.

As it is atm it is impossible to make a hollow circle formation for example.

All in all pretty useless at the moment. But I guess it's just the first iteration of it. Because it has the potential to be very useful.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I use it to spread gil-e along lines so they can all fire at something, instead of a wad where half are out of range of firing and the other half are in range to be shot at. Also, to spread along lines to support a turret line.
  10. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Well, in this case it's pretty useless compared to how useful it could potentially be. My point was not to point out it' overall usefulness but rather where potential usefulness is lacking. There are a million cases where you could use this tool if it was working differently - as I described above - as compared to a handful where it can be of use now. And these latter cases would probably covered as well if it was working differently.