[WIP] Megabot: Ideas and progress thread.

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by squishypon3, May 10, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Description:
    Hello as at least some of you know, I'm working on a future mod for the game based on "Superunits"; this thread is where I will be posting progress on the mod, models, textures, animations, programming, etc... It is also where I'd like to get feedback/ideas for the modification such as: Weapons, "Superunit" ideas, etc...

Progress/photos:
    [​IMG]

Original Model/design compared to the Delta commander in size, (forced perspective might skew this a bit.)
    MegabotWork.PNG
    Did a little work on the shoulders and upper arms, using the Alpha commander's design.

Ideas?:
    So, any ideas for what to work into further? Some ideas on possible weapons and usage of weapons give to the Megabot? (arm weapons and torso weapons for example), or any ideas for future "Super Unit" designs?

FAQ (Will update.):
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    vackillers and paulusss like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I can't wait to give it a try! Maybe I'll end up eating my words on how superunits would work out in the game.

One word: Diversity.

Make the different megaunits very different in their roles.

Can't wait to hear more!
  3. squishypon3

I definitely plan on it, I too am against a unit that completely invalidates others, and can already imagine very big drawbacks to a unit such as this other than price; one being it would have a lot of trouble defending upclose against units. The turrets on it's shoulders perhaps could only do just about as much damage as a scampers weapons for example so if you get behind this thing all that stops you is the damage output of 4 Basic bots. Also, I'd image at least most weapons would be forward facing, the AA for example is a bit tricky, should it be able to turn 360 degrees or should the Megabot itself need to turn to fire of it's missiles at enemy fighters/bombers. The idea is that it's a bit like a modern day tank: very strong and healthy up at the front with most, if not all, weapons up front. The back however is very open to enemy fire and units that get too close to the theoretical tank will be in next to no danger because of the tank not being able to shoot so close. Basically, if this thing doesn't have any units to back it up, it's screwed and it's very susceptible to flanking attacks and/or very fast units- such as the scamper.
  4. squishypon3

Oops, just realized I put this in the general discussion forum... Agh, I'll need to get an admin, whoops!
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Give it spider legs or something. Bipedal is too mainstream.
  6. brianpurkiss

You hipster you...

[​IMG]
  7. squishypon3

I thought I'd humour you. ;)

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 5.PNG 6.PNG
  8. brianpurkiss

I wanna toss in another thought.

When units have directional shortcomings, like how they can't shoot in certain directions, that tends to turn into micro intensive gameplay. Look at SupCom T3 fighters as well as monkeylords in the first SupCom.

Just a balance factor for you to consider.

Those models are coming along nicely.

How do you plan on them being made? From a fabber I assume?
  9. squishypon3

I'm yet unsure. I'm thinking of creating a factory for them, similar to how TA created a factory called the "Krogath gantry." Also, about your directional shortcomings fear- well I suppose it could keep it's front facing need but the torso and up could turn independently similar to the Commanders, though it'd be a slow turn rate, just think of it as a tanks turn rate- it may be able to turn it's turret but the bigger the gun, the slower the turn rate which leaves it vulnerable to flanking still. (The big quadruped is and example of this, it can only fire directly where that big weapon on the front is aimed which means it's upper half must turn to aim at something.)
  10. brianpurkiss

Are you going to have only bot superunits?

Or will there be vehicles and air and naval superunits? What about an orbital? That could be fun.
  11. squishypon3

I definitely plan on vehicle and air. Naval: probably, though I might need some ideas other than just a really big ship, orbital is a very interesting thing... What exactly would I create? Possibly a giant laser raining hell on all below- or a huge multi-unit transport? Quite a few possibilities though, what'd be practical?
  12. squishypon3

Update on the Quadruped, made the weapon look a bit more like it has some weight with by giving it some constraints.

QuadSpider.PNG
    Also a little bit to make the barrel look like it actually has a place where something could come out of as apposed to it just being beam outta' no-where like.
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  13. squishypon3

Wow, has anyone ever noticed just how HUGE the T2 factories are? Look at the megabot compared to the factory...

Wow.PNG
    PeggleFrank and tatsujb like this.
  14. brianpurkiss

Hm... well – really big ships with lots of guns are pretty fun.

You could also do a submarine when we get them.
    vackillers likes this.
  15. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

For yer insperhertsher!
    Chest cannon o-o Best part of the film.
  16. squishypon3

Wow, Iron Giant is so OP, nerf it Uber.
    LavaSnake and eroticburrito like this.
  17. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

The bit where he just completely flips his **** and the little dent in his head goes *Pop!* just before he screams gets me every time.
    It's like he's bursting a blood vessel.
  18. squishypon3

Alrighty, another update on the "Megabot".

MegabotNewWeapon.PNG
    As you can see a new weapon for the Megabot's right arm or well... A little less "first pass" weapon for his right arm.

MegabotNewElbow.PNG
    Also I made the elbow look like it- well... I added the elbow join which connects both the upper and lower arm.
  19. squishypon3

Alright I've got another update, working on the weapons/cannons around the hips and soon/maybe tomorrow will start work on the still WIP legs. Again, anyone got any ideas on possible roles of all this weaponry? It's crazy! (Oh and left weapon thing now looks a little more interesting.)

NewestUpdate.PNG
    Little Comparison of old to new. (Left: new; Right: old.)
    vackillers and LavaSnake like this.
  20. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That was kinda the point, the idea was that the concept was the "biggest" thing you feasibly build out of a factory, thought at the time they were using the older Bot Factory design.

Mike