Need Help-Asus G73Jh driver issues

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by aducknamedjoe, October 15, 2013.

1. aducknamedjoe

aducknamedjoe New Member

I'm getting the "planetaryannihilation.exe stopped working" error every time I try to load the game now, so I went to update my drivers from the AMD website and the newest one BSOD'd my computer. So I uninstalled it and used the Windows search function to find a driver and it installed one from 2009.

Then I went to the Asus website for a driver and their newest one is from January of 2010 (and there are also no instructions of where to unzip it to so I have no idea what to do with the file).

Does anyone else have an Asus G73Jh that is successfully running PA? Can you help me figure out the drivers?
  2. aducknamedjoe

aducknamedjoe New Member

Dxdiag attached below.

Attached Files:

3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have only one idea what you can do, this one is "latest driver":
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.11_mobility_betav1.exe
    But you can also try older versions:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/13-9_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe
    http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-4_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe
    http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe
    Might be one of them will work. Post here about results.
  4. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

Hi, I also have an Asus G73JH and for me the newest drivers work just fine. If you are getting a BSOD I would estimate that there is a conflict with residual driver pieces or you are overheating. Try running uninstalling the current drivers, running a driver sweeper, and then installing the latest drivers. I personal go with beta although they can sometimes be a bit unstable.

If that doesn't help try downloading a gpu temperature monitor. If the temp ever exceeds 95 degrees Celsius something is wrong. Likely the heat paste needs to be reapplied.

Hope that helps,
    Tyler Seacrest
  5. aducknamedjoe

aducknamedjoe New Member

Hey there,

So I finally got around to trying to get this fixed again, and I tried doing what was suggested above (D/L'ing the new drivers form AMD) and got a BSOD and then comp shutdown again.

SO I called ASUS support, and D/L'ed the driver from their website, and that installed fine, no BSOD, and no shutdown. I restarted the computer fine, no issues, but then I went to update PA and play it and I got the exact same error message again. Seems the official driver from ASUS is, like, 3 years old.

I think I need to get the AMD drivers, but I still have no idea how to do that without BSOD'ing my system. Can someone maybe walk me through how to use a driver sweeper to get rid of all my residual driver bits before installing the new AMD drivers?
  6. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

To use a driver sweeper:
    First, download a driver sweeper. I think this one works well. Also download your new drivers.
    Then uninstall your current drivers using AMD's uninstaller.
    Reboot your computer. Preferably into safe mode.
    Next run the driver sweeper. Check all the drivers you want to uninstall, in this case anything with AMD in the name.
    After the drivers have been uninstalled, reboot again.
    Install new drivers using AMD's installer.
    Reboot one final time.

It should be noted that the drivers that SXX posted are now out of date. I recomend the latest beta which can be found here but if you want the official stable version it can be found here.
  7. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

This is eerily reminiscent of what I went thru with my ASUS A7Jc... in 2006!
    It didn't end well, so I wish you better luck than me, laptop drivers can be such as PITA. :(
  8. aducknamedjoe

aducknamedjoe New Member

I just wanted to follow up on this and say thank you to Tyler for all the advice; it worked! Did exactly as you said and played my first game of PA today. Thanks again!
    ooshr32 and cdrkf like this.
  9. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

No problem! Happy to help.
    ooshr32 and cdrkf like this.