Direct Upgrades are AWESOME

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by thelordofthenoobs, May 6, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

its wierd. I thought you were talking about units that were similar but one was stronger and cost more, proportionately. I thought most people say the leveler/peregrine/vanguard/slammer/hornet do just that. The leveler was the first to get complains for this, although there is nothing wrong with it.
    The vanguard still has the commander knockout power when dropped onto him. Infernos can actually be repaired though quite quickly because of their cost, being nearly killable only if they are hit for the grand sum of their health worth of damage at once.

Right now, i'd build both...
    It takes more effort to remove things already in than to leave them alone. Also, remove should not be a thing we should do with 1 part of a 3 unit roster for that particular factory. I would rather 2 main battle tanks, their damage/health threshold is their diversity, as long as the stronger tank isn't the cost effective spammed one, we found out last few builds that makes the game too micro scale with the small bulky t2 armies over the fields of t1 ones we all miss.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Eh, I got sidetracked in my examples I think. I was attempting to show cost as a valid factor for balancing units.

The points did overlap, it seems. Blargh.
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  3. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Sometimes the results are pretty random. Due to the weather around here, we can get pretty depressed while working on balance. I mean, look at how the precipitation hits our surgical deaths due to doctor depression:
    http://tylervigen.com/view_correlation?id=2322
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Sometimes, I tick off the pros and cons of living in Seattle:
    PROS:
    Football Team and cool Downtown stuff like Pike Place and the museums. And people I know! Yay!
    Cons:
    It's either cloudy or raining. All year round. That's kinda depressing. :|
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Move to NZ. It's Autumn heading into winter. We start rugging up when the temperature drops below 20.

Although we could do with some more rain... farmers aren't happy.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Something that I don't think have been stressed enough is the advantage of weight(concentration of firepower and health).

A heavy unit with 10 DPS and 100 Health can kill a hundred light units that have 1 DPS and 10 Health one by one.
    However only 14 light units are needed to defeat the heavy unit if they all attack the heavy unit at the same time.
    Light units should have much better efficiency for cost or as I call it, "Strength per 1 metal((DPS/MetalCost) * (Health/MetalCost))", because heavy units don't suffer from splash damage as much, usually have roughly the same footprint as light units and if the light units are unable to swarm the heavy units, they can kill the light units 1 by 1.
    liquius, Gorbles, cdrkf and 4 others like this.
  7. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

True story. And that's where I applaud the decision from Uber to balance the game by feeling and not by merely looking at the numbers. It's otherwise virtually impossible to get such a subtle alchemy right.
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Gorbles likes this.
  8. stormingkiwi

Agreed Godde, it's an idea that is utterly failing to permeate the forums.
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Trust me when I say it's better than baking to death.

[​IMG]
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. mered4

I love the alternative.....I'm warm-blooded
  11. stormingkiwi

No you are cold blooded. If you were warm blooded, the cold wouldn't bother you anyway, now would it :p

Let it go.... let it go...
    Bgrmystr2 likes this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No. Just no .
  13. mered4

The cold never liked me anyway.
    stuart98 likes this.