Questions before I buy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by starsphinx, May 6, 2014.

1. starsphinx

starsphinx New Member

I been keeping my eye on the game for some time now.

I love the idea of the game and it looks like its fun and has a active community.

What im worried about is my ability to play it well if I did buy it.
    I stink at macro commands and hot keys, for example in starcraft by the time I am set up my opponent runs circles around me.

Also how is the development coming along? will the game be going gold any time soon?
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Star craft is a micro intensive game; you should have easier time tbh. Macro means you select giant army and say "go there" whilst micro is when you need to spend a lot of time managing your units for them to be effective.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

If that's the worst fear you have then my advice would be to just dive in. The only way to get better at something is to practice, and you can get plenty of enjoyment out of PA without being any good at it. Smashing planets, anyone?

That said, PA is a lot less micro-intensive than Starcraft, and requires a completely different skillset to the ones you'd employ trying to play that. Uber's inclusion of increasing numbers of tools to allow you to minimise micro is only furthering that emphasis.

Honestly, if you feel you'd enjoy playing, watch some gameplay footage and see how it stacks up with your expectations. If you like what you see, it's worth every penny.

Current estimated release date is:

[​IMG]
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

A lot of people aren't that good at it, so I don't think that will keep it from being fun for you. You should always be able to find people who just want to play a casual game and watch robots explode and planets smash into each other. There is also the shared Armies game mode, where more than one person controls the exact same team at the same time. This is a great way for someone to contribute to a massive game (Imagine two teams with 10 players each, although the limit right now is 10 players total in a game) without feeling the pressure of needing to play perfectly. If you're not quite fast enough to send in that one bomber, one of your teammates surely will get around to it.

That said, this game is really hard to play well unless you memorize the controls and tools available. I highly recommend this guide from Quitch to anyone that wants to learn some tricks for doing more things with less clicks.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  5. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

starsphinx if u add me on steam i will give u the game for free:)
    shootall and cptconundrum like this.
  6. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

For Free what. Sell it at least for some money.... As far as the guy posting this. The game is fun get it you will get better and you can que up a bunch of building so if u forget then they will auto build.
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

dude, don't do that, Uber deserves the money, honestly.
    Kursah likes this.
  8. cptconundrum

If he has an extra copy, he either paid for it already or got a free key. Sometimes the best way to advertise is to impress people that might not otherwise play a game so they go tell their friends.
    bradaz85, lokiCML and Kursah like this.
  9. emraldis

I'm not so sure he's referring to that, there is a way to get a free copy for as many people as you want through steam, it's pretty much stealing the game...
  10. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Are you really telling someone not to be nice? Maybe he bought an extra copy a while ago while it was on sale, maybe he has money to burn, either way he wants to be generous and nice to someone who wants to play the game. Uber already got the money.

What is wrong with that?
  11. Kursah

Kursah New Member

Then let's hope Uber gets proactive and promotes a demo version later on. It'd be in their benefit imho. I also hope Steam can step up it's protection too.

A demo like what was provided for World in Conflict might do PA and Uber a lot of good for those curious but not sure if they want to spend the $$$ or not, or want to steal or not.

I hope that the offer above is because of an extra copy or legitimate method. But if it's not, and the new member likes it, maybe they'll buy it or at least tell all their friends to buy it regardless. Then at that point one loss might be worth it in gains...but that's also why I'd rather see a good demo released at some point (after release of course).
  12. emraldis

If he's got an extra copy then by all means, be my guest. But it just sounds at first glance as if he's going to use the exploit i'm not going to detail in public to give a free copy...

Not that I want to imply he's a bad person that would do that kind of thing, it's just the way he worded it seemed more suspicious than normal... idk. If his intentions were good, then I sincerely apologize, if they were otherwise, then I REGRET NOTHING! :p
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. cptconundrum

I think some people just have trouble writing in English, so sometimes posts look a bit awkward. He's probably a lot better at Norwegian than I am though.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Twitch watch it. See how others play. They play AWFULLY fast usually, but if you notice they give like 20 build commands with one click and thats fairly easy to do. To build a whole area of mexes and pgens you need to click and drag like twice. Then click like 5 places around it with turrets. If you use hotkeys like me you can switch between turret and wall quickly so you can triple click up some walls for your turrets, but thats optional.

Honestly, idc what others say, this game is very widely strategy. The hardest part you can learn on twitch, which is how to play tactically. This game requires expanding across a planet face. You don't play cookiecutter base. You notice that on twitch a lot, and if you watch them scout first unit they build and kill fabbers and build right up against their enemy and across a huge land, then you will be exceptionally decent at this game.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. emraldis

lol, guess so. I'm just a bit suspicious of steam and free copies of PA though, just because of that exploit (which only works with PA as far as I know). No offense intended to phantomtom...
  16. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

For free? meaning i will pay for it and give it too u as gift:oops:
  17. cptconundrum

This is why I like this community.
    SolitaryCheese and squishypon3 like this.
  18. emraldis

Yay! You have restored my confidence!
    ArchieBuld and cptconundrum like this.
  19. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Your a good man phantomtom!
    Does anyone know if there are any sales on for PA at the mo? Or if there will be any on soon? I got a couple friends I'd like to pick this up for.
  20. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled, because there is no unit cap, there is actually a lot of micro involved. Also, pathfinding has issues, so if you command your units to do something, usually you NEED to keep an eye on them, if they are actually doing it. I'd say steering army's around is easier then Starcraft, because you don't NEED to micro every single dox and tank. But also, the maps are always different, unlike in Starcraft so memorizing a micro patern for scouts and army's is impossible. I think best is to just start playing it and join a clan, they probably help you improve a good deal.
    bradaz85 likes this.