Fires! PTE! Balance! Oh My!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, May 6, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The issues more so stem from movement characteristics rather than stability.

Mike
  2. 2sideddice

2sideddice New Member

I think it would look really sexy if all the bots had more than two legs. Then you can swarm your opponents with armies of insect-like laser death robots >:D
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

exactly.
  4. donut64

donut64 Member

Because these quad bots would be firing at an upward arc, the recoil would be directed downward onto the support structure of the legs, whether moving or not. This makes the "tipping points" of having 3 vs 4 legs matter less. It still matters, of course. However I'll have to agree that I don't see them being that much of a stable AFV with 3 legs.
  5. Kursah

Kursah New Member

I would question if it would need to better brace itself for firing due to one less contact patch to support and distribute the pressures from firing, which in turns means stopping or slowing greatly to fire. Maybe it's moving so slow there's no need to really stop.

But then, with that in mind, why not build the same unit with one more leg if all it does is improve its overall usefulness? Now we add a leg, it's as stable, at-least-as capable and faster.

Like I said before..I'd still rather see a wider rear leg or one that splits into two to create a split contact patch...but honestly, for an overall usefulness of an attack bot, I would imagine the 4 legged ones would be the victors in a face-off. Maybe they'll let us have the chance before removing one. I'd be game for that! :)
  6. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Thanks for the update Brad!! :)
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I've seen spiders walk around with odd numbers of legs. They seem to do alright. Three legs might be a little extreme for a spider, since there's more to their lives than just walking around, but I suspect grenadier bots don't need to wrap up prey, make a web, or hang from a thread.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  8. Paappa

Paappa Member

That was a nice update. Thank you Brad the King of Boombots. :D I like the 3 leg design of the grenadier even though it seems unstable. Three legs makes it stand out from other units.
  9. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bot-King Brad!
  10. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

So is the grendier bot supposed to be like an artillery unit? Looks cool
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Gunships are the new bots, haven't you heard?
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

My point wasn't that 3 legged movement isn't feasible, mearly that it isn't practical, especially in the context of PA and animations.

Mike
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

New stuff, huh. Big stuff, you say?

I hope to be impressed, the optimist that I am. More to the point, I hope you're able to ignite the enthusiasm of even more people that voice their dissatisfaction, so that they may be brought over to the Cult of the Machine.
  14. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Nah. Anchors are.
  15. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    YES, FIRE FIRE!!!
    sorry.
    As you can see, I want fire. Also really looking forward to the balance changes. Will be interesting indeed.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  16. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

The pitch for PA has always been about massive armies. Build too much of everything.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I . . . didn't even plan that pun. Damnit, not cheesy enough by half.
  18. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Screw realism, this is a video game. But I agree that a three-legged bot with one single leg at its rear, as soon as opens fire, it's gonna tumble upside down with the first shot :D

A tripod is very stable until you apply a force vertically on all legs at the same time. If you apply a force laterally, (like firing a big gun horizontally) it's gonna fail. Unless two legs are placed on the back and the third one on the front. Try it with any bar table or stood in your neighborhood.
    wilhelmvx, Kursah and LavaSnake like this.
  19. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Great update. Thanks, Brad. This kind of post are awesome.
  20. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Looks great, besides the 2 new units. they look pardon my english, like a cheap turd( imo, imo)
    Edit:
    I kinda like the thought that u have 3 races in this game, kind of.. u have bots, tanks and air.
    some are camelions tho:)