Finally stopped playing (for now)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by valheria, April 30, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You can play SMNC mortar gunner on bullet gorge and loco moco with 700-1200 ping. Just mortar the lane of bots and pros consistently. It will take 10 seconds before even your first shot lands, but I got kills on terribads doing this (because players like to brawl with bots). Worse case scenario, from relative safety, you deny a lane of bots.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm pretty sure it's accurate, a lot of games say I have 7000 since I moved to America.
  3. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

the good old days when all you had was a 386 a couple megs of ram, framebuffer video card, ISA soundcard, ide drives and every bit of code of the game had to be optimized, then came vesa with 486DX2 that was a beast and those good old video cards where you could add v-ram chips in the sockets, those were the days:cool:
    vackillers and cdrkf like this.
  4. corruptai

corruptai New Member

My result(I can't post links yet):
    Download: 17.92 Mb/s
    Upload: 5.06 Mb/s
    Ping: 12 ms
    Grade: C+

Wow. You guys know the saddest part about this? It's faster than 59% of the U.S. I already knew our infrastructure was poor, but god almighty.
  5. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Your infrastructure is poor?
    Made me lough ;).

Outside bigger cities its 1-2 MBits download here. Straight in central Europe.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Melbourne was founded by Batman. Checkmate.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I remember getting wing commander 3 on my 486 (amd dx4 100, with a 2mb vl bus video card!) Just blew me away. The first fully 3d game I played, 2 hours of full screen video with choices that altered the direction of the game (it came on 4! Cds back when most games were still on floppy disks. Just so epic :) was amazing how good games on a 486 were...
    :)
    MCXplode likes this.
  8. keterei

keterei Active Member

I don't get all the negativity you're getting. I agree that the game needs to be made standalone. Bandwidth is a limiting factor for a lot of people.
  9. valheria

valheria Active Member

Some people are just not nice people so i expected the douche bag comments come but as it looks.. A lot of people agree with both of us that the network part of the game is a severely limiting factor now which needs addressing asap or new comers are going to get the wrong impression of the game even after accepting the fact its still in development.
  10. cdrkf

I'm all for improving the network performance of PA- I travel around allot and don't always have access to good broadband- it's surprising how many of my games I can't play when the internet isn't available...

When PA is fully released you will be able to play fully offline against AI as they will release the server as well as the client. In the mean time is there no options for you to get a better internet connection- available speeds in the UK usually aren't quite *that* bad?
  11. valheria

valheria Active Member

Oh yes yes mostly everyone knows that we will get offline mode when it is fully released : ) But they should still push for network optimization to bring it back down to pre gammer levels because as it stands the lag is insane now were before it was only just borderline acceptable but one of the devs have said they did a change to take off around 20 percent of the data chatter which should be awesome.. Hope they can do more.

My internet is bad and the only one to get fiber is to spend ALOT of money which im not doing just so i can play a game.
  12. cdrkf

I'm surprised Fiber cost that much more- I'm on Virgin Media and internet costs £25 / month *but no additional line rental charge for a phone line required* so it works out about the same as most ADSL phone line deals. The main difference is that on Virgin I get 30 mb / sec down with no slow downs (and about 2mb / sec upload).
  13. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

We have BT infinity which really doesn't cost as much as you would think, plus you aren't getting faster internet JUST to play this game. It would be beneficial for lots of internet based activities, surely?

I dunno, it sucks, but I don't know whether we should have expected poor performance with poor internet, given that Uber stated the game would be online only for the duration of early access?

People who pay for the game at release will get the experience Uber are intending, we are just voluntary testers at the moment who are paying for the privilege.
  14. corruptai

corruptai New Member

Just because your country has worse internet infrastructure doesn't mean ours is not also sub-par when compared to other countries.

It's funny though, I don't think I've ever been inconvenienced by my internet, as I don't really do any bandwidth heavy things. (I mainly bought this game for LAN, as I had and occasionally still have a grand time playing TA with friends. I am not, and never will be, good enough to play competitively online. So I don't know how my bandwidth affects me there.)
  15. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

The ubernet server can probably dish out a max of 2mbs per client when alot of people are playing on the server. It doesn't matter how much bandwidth is on your end if the server gets bogged down. During the alpha they said they had it capped at 4mbs per player but I imagine its lower now. If you sending out too many packets all over the place it doesn't matter how much bandwidth you have latency becomes the factor. The game still lagged alot when I had 15mbs cable connection, now I only have 5mbs but my bandwidth is not maxed out.
  16. keterei

keterei Active Member

Last edited: October 21, 2014
  17. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And I'm paying nearly 70$ for that...
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm paying 70$ for 14mbps but that only lasts for 15 gigs which is only a week or less then I'm stuck with only 50kbs...
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

OMG are you SERIOUS?!? aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghh :( :( that's terrible! I feel sorry for you.
  20. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

lol thanks.... I feel sorry for me too! :D

Are you based in Canada or Australia or something squishypon3?