Finally stopped playing (for now)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by valheria, April 30, 2014.

1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It's not that we don't believe him, but this is a known issue, and i'm 90% sure he's seen posts about this problem himself. If he's not going to play until the game is better optimized, good for him, he doesn't need to announce it.
    killzone5017002 likes this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I'm in East Anglia and am on BT infinity. Speeds around 50Mb most days...what internet provider are you with to get such a terrible speed??
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

if it's his way of leting people know there's an issue why not?

trust me I get you, I also don't like it when people judge an unfinished game. Except that would be mislabeling what's happening here. The "I won't play anymore" is not to be taken as an attack to PA but just : "there's no point in me playing right now, it's a slideshow" perhaps with sad faces for extra readability "......:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ".
    emporer88 likes this.
  4. emraldis

I'm not saying he's judging, i'm saying he's probably aware that uber is aware of his issue, and he's probably been aware of it for a while...

EDIT:

He could also have worded it less dramatically, and said something like: "Game still needs some bandwidth optimization, sorry guys, but I can't play until it happens." Instead of making the post about him leaving, because that sounds like a grab for attention if you ask me. And don't worry OP, I know where you're coming from, I get the same problem (heck I probably have worse internet than you), but I just think that your post seems like it's not trying to adress that issue.
  5. tatsujb

Ok.

I just want to say that this is what a forum is for ; saying things, and letting them be known to everyone, even if they are already know by Devs
  6. emraldis

sorry, edited the post. Check it again :confused:
  7. tatsujb

indeed he could have. That's what I meant above, is that sometimes feelings get the better of you and you rage rather than expose.
  8. emraldis

Guess so, I just try and cool off before I make a post about something.
  9. tatsujb

I can't say the same for myself ^=^ I'm working on it
  10. emraldis

lol, Might have noticed this before... :rolleyes:
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I bought the internet back in 2007 and I had it until a year ago. There was nothing on but it kept wanting me to upgrade. Eventually I bought a microwave instead.
  12. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I have no problems running this game and my internet and pc is far from outstanding. Multi planet games can be very laggy thats why I tend to stick to games with 2 -3 planets max. I dunno why guys need 6 planets in a system. The game runs fine for me with 2-3 planets . You might want to try to play games with less planets until uber can fix.
  13. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I almost decided to stop using e-mail with my 56k modem... but then I decided that I probably just needed a better internet service. Also, isn't waiting for them to optimize and waiting for release pretty much the same thing?
  14. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

We currently cap the amount of information we send to the client at 2k MBit. That's more than we want to use by far, but also more than your connection allows by far.

The good news is our lead programmer, who I will call "The surprisingly friendly curmudgeon," is working on bandwith improvements and has been for a week or two. He's implemented a compressor that I believe cuts usage by about 20%, and is now working on a way we can prioritize what we send based on where your client camera are (PIP) to further improve it. Once that is done we can consider lowering the bandwidth cap more. And we have other ideas to improve it more as well.

I'm dubious we'll ever get it down to the 100k level, but keep your fingers crossed!
  15. valheria

valheria Active Member

Exactly.. : )
  16. valheria

valheria Active Member

Awesome that is good news : )
  17. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I too am really wanting offline mode now because my mid-game gets hurroundesly slow even with just AI because of my bandwith. It is just simply not good enough with only a 5MB connection as my fastest connection I can have in my area. Can understand why we don't have offline mode because the games actually not officially out yet even though we've all been playing it for the most part since the middle of last year. But I do think its time that Uber do start thinking about implementing that soon because a lot of peeps really want to have insanely massive battles with 30 players/AI andi n the latest stream brad and the gang were asked about that question, about raising the limit for amount of players, and the simple fact is, YES people actually want 20-30 player matches believe it or not.

The game doesn't actually really test my CPU personally, when i get slow downs, CPU is like a smidge above 40-45% usage with not even 40% RAM usage. PLEEEENTY of headway there for some really truely EPIC battles but we can't do that because of the bandwith restrictions of being online so nothing can really get taxed or maxed.

I would love to know how the game performs in an offline state if Uber would be willing to share what they've experienced around the office. Would be a shame if they haven't even tried that or done that yet because that would mean the game is pretty damn far from being remotely complete yet if they haven't even looked at offline yet.
    warrenkc likes this.
  18. emporer88

emporer88 Member

I get horrendous internet at 20 kbps and 100 kbps on a good day, I have satellite and have NO PHONE RECEPTION, but for some UBER AWEOSME reason when im getting 100 kbps I only get 6000 ping and I CAN PLAY!!! couldn't believe it, but right now its UBER SLOW because im only getting 20 been waiting 3 weeks now :D nearly time for a reboot, im with Sky Mesh# they are one of the worst Net providers so how's this. I pay 50$ a month for 100kbps and 6000 ping and 11000 when I run out of my 20 GB of download. its possibly the worst and I always see people comparing internet services.... they never even mention satellite. then there are the people who say what satellite is super fast and futuristic and you have the best net ever.... its not I can tell you that. and yes I have already checked my area and NO I WILL NEVER BE ELEGABLE FOR NBN! because the government is like "yea ALL HOMES will have super fast internet like Alice springs in the desert... BUT NOT THAT HOUSE BECAUSE IDK" there is my impressively large list of complaints to Sky mesh and Government (yes I am Australian if u look up NBN.
    emporer88 out~
    PS:having a spaz about it cuz idk!!! :( I hate skymesh!
    THE ONLY THING SLOWER THEN SATILITE IS DILUP BUT EVEN DIALUPS PING IS ONLY LIKE 100ms
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That's a very slow net connection you have there. Living in England myself I usually have found that internet speeds are pretty decent in most areas (I travel quite a bit). I take it you've looked into all the options and this is the best you can find? Have you considered trying a 3-G modem instead perhaps?
  20. emporer88

emporer88 Member

no 3G or 4G australias spread out in some/my area/s its a half an hour drive to nearest town
    and I cant call or recive calls on mobile