Finally stopped playing (for now)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by valheria, April 30, 2014.

1. valheria

valheria Active Member

Sick to death with the lack of offline mode to be honest.. can't hold any decent fights now, especially on the PTE test and now that multiple hard AI can actually put up a fight to some extent it uses so much bandwidth of my internet that the lag is insane and the game literally turns into a turn based game because my bots cover planet distances in a instant because there is so much lag caused by the AI spam.. even one hard AI is bad with lag.

Bottom line is.. i'm not playing at all now because i just get annoyed at the fact i can't play a awesome game because of constant internet connection at the moment. So either they need to seriously optimize the online data element of the game so that less data needs to be sent back and forth or i'm just going have to wait in till release so that i can actually play the game.

P.s I know its not my computer because it is very very high end so don't drop the usual it's your computer BS.. thanks.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Ok?
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I hate to break this to you.

Have you updated your drivers?
  4. valheria

valheria Active Member

As a regular viewer of Uber live streams and regular user of the forums.. No offence but what do you think? (nice tone btw)
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

And we need to know this because...?
  6. emraldis

As a regular view of the forums, you should know that Uber is always working on making the game more streamlined, so i'm not really seeing the point in your first post...
  7. valheria

valheria Active Member

Can you read the post and come back with a actual answer as most people of these forums like think of this as a nice forum place for once compared to most online game forums thank you : )
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

that sucks, I guess you will just have to be patient :(
    But Uber are always optimising, so maybe you should try it every now and then!
    And there are always lots of other games to play in the meantime ;)
  9. valheria

valheria Active Member

Like the other guy i replied too.. Can you please re read my post and give a appropriate reply thanks : )
  10. valheria

valheria Active Member

Aye.. I knew it would be bad with lag but it is incredible now and it is actually got in the way of playing the game now which is silly but its the way it is but the game is amazing none the less.. So like a lot of other people they are going to have to wait in till retail release at this rate which is a real bummer.
  11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

To what question?
  12. emraldis

There is nothing to reply to... there is pretty much no point in this thread, because any response I could give is something you already are aware of...
  13. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I agree that the lack of offline play is hampering right now.

That being said, in my experience so far the slow down from extreme numbers of units has not been coming from the bandwidth, but from the simulation. That may not be the case for your situation, but if it is, playing offline would not help. The reason it would not help is because your local cpu wuld be doing all of the simulation Instead of ubers server.

I don't know just how much number crunching their servers are capable of but it is likely they can do a lot more than most of our computers.
  14. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Try playing on a single 600 radius moon in a 1v1. I know that limits your options a lot, but most people with a decent computer and fast enough internet have no problem with it. What part of the world do you live in? I live in the US and I have never been able to play on Australian servers without horrible lag. Maybe you need to stick to servers in your region.
    brianpurkiss and drz1 like this.
  15. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Yep I have played several large games now where the server starts to slow down and the game becomes unplayable. It has prematurely ended some very fun games.
  16. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I officially pronounce the OP a cool story. Bro.
  17. valheria

valheria Active Member

I can only download 100kb a second on a good day now but i live in the south east of england but yeah i have tried switch the regions but as no surprise it made it if anything worse but i play this game for muti planet warfare so for single planet fights id rather play supreme commander or nothing at all : \ plus it would end too fast as 1 Hard AI is still too easy. So yeah the options are pretty rubbish which is why i'm holding off playing now in till release probably
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Ah yeah, 100kbps is definitely not going to be enough. Best to just wait for release and play against the ai or get a better connection. I'm not expecting PA to ever work with 100kbps for multiplayer.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

guys he/she is not making this up, it's true if you get alot of units the game lags out, even Brad with the beefy Uber PCs admits it :
    Code:
    http://youtu.be/rz7Wc4vrhf0?t=55m20s
    and with my **** internet I get the exact same symptoms he/she's talking about.

The bottom line is PA's bandwidth usage is pretty big. I'm seriously anxious to move out and have my own internet because of this. (must wait till I get my diploma)

it's not drivers because I know my way around a computer and I keep 'em up to date.
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Internet?

Frick.
    I need to invest in a good one then :D