Pelters Can Hit Air Fabbers?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eratosthenes, April 25, 2014.

1. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I've hesitated asking this to play a few more games and confirm that it's true, but I'm still not sure about other air units, just haven't had the scenario come up. It seems like pelters can either hit air fabbers, or air fabbers can be damaged by the AoE. Is this supposed to happen? If it is supposed to happen... um... that makes no sense.
  2. boardroomhero

boardroomhero New Member

Why doesn't it make sense? If the projectile impacts them, well...
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

They can be hit by pelters (all projectiles are simulated), but the chances are slim since pelters don't aim at them directly. The AoE is what will kill them. And yes, that makes sense. If they're in the AoE range, they're damaged by AoE.
  4. eratosthenes

It makes sense that air units can be killed by artillery impacting the ground? Sorry, you're gonna have to let me know which universe that makes sense in. :)
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

In one where the air unit is close enough to the ground for the explosion to damage it, which is the case here.
  6. eratosthenes

... they are flying up in the air.
  7. aevs

aevs Post Master General

About 4 meters in the air. They're practically hovering. Look, the explosion radius is large enough to hit them, it's simulated, if there's a problem with that, you should argue that air fabbers should fly higher. I personally like that they fly low, building things inside the range of a pelter should always be a bad idea.
  8. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

The real question you should be asking is why can't tanks/bots shoot at air fabbers that are hovering so close to the ground?
  9. suketchi

suketchi Member

You understand it wrong.
    The pelter projectile can hit a air unit when it cross the way of trajectory. ;)

Or, the air unit was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :D
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

it´s for giving spinners some work to do
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I don't feel it makes sense for pelters to kill air fabbers by AOE, there is no way it's AOE reaches all the way up there. Holkins however can keep that.

For pelters to hit them, fluke occurance, makes sense to happen, can't be done intentionally, can be mildly avoided by not literally hovering in the way of the shell.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Simulated projectiles ftw!
  13. eratosthenes

All I can say is this: If artillery can hit air units or damage them with AoE (barring HUGE explosions that enter the upper atmosphere like nukes) then... what's the point of having air/ground units that have specific targeting roles? There is a reason why flak was invented to shoot down planes instead of just shooting them with normal artillery. I am fine with the occasional fluke mid-air hits for giggles... but this has happened in every single game I have played since I first noticed it's possible. That's not a fluke occurrence.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If targetting what the air fabber targets (building, repairing, assisting), you are flying directly overhead and the shell sort of drops down from above. You are literally in the path.

If it is the AOE, it could do without.
  15. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

The spinners must be union.
    trialq likes this.
  16. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

I have hit a scout plane with a pelter before. It was glorious.
    tollman likes this.