Interplanetary Space Battles (Orbital Space Battles) *not in-between planets but on the orbit layer

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DarkDragoon619, April 19, 2014.

?

what do you think this addition would do for the game?

1. allow for more in dept strategy and gameplay?

82.5%
  2. game breaking and pointless?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. overkill and would do the exact opposite of solving the stalemate issue?

17.5%
  4. what else could be added or changed to balance the orbital ships?

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

And you're trying to tell me that coming up with new complex systems is better than maybe fixing the Catapult? If it's even needed?

Mike
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Have AA counter them.

That's the point. There isn't a mechanic to deliver an army to an occupied planet's surface
    corteks, igncom1 and emraldis like this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if multiunittransports have to land that would mean they had to automaticaly transist through the airlayer in that case they and their cargo would be vulnerable to aa anyway ...
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Exactly. So they wouldn't be exploitable for commsnipes, now would they?
  5. MrTBSC

when i said droppodship then i meant the version that can stay in orbit and throw down the units as many people like to suggest
    having the transport come down means aa has one specific target
    having the cargo come down either bit by bit or all at once means aa has 6,8 or 10+ targets that it cant possibly aim at ...
  6. KNight

There are many, many ways that droppods can be balanced, being targetable by AA, being extremely inaccurate, the unit not actually be able to do anything for a second or two after touching down and more!

Don't just sit there saying they would be unbalanced because of X, think about what can be done to make them balanced.

Mike
    corteks and igncom1 like this.
  7. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

Complex systems lol, all we need is 1 experimental warship!
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Hey, I'm back! I am not surprised to see that feedback is just as bad as it was before. So how about I set this straight. ...Again.

Comm issues are issues that explicitly exist because the Commander is a central part of the game. The only correct way to solve them is to address the Commander itself. So if a unit works okay except for when it is used explicitly against a Commander and no one else, then it is still a workable unit. You simply have to gitgud at developing to fix the one problem it has, which is easiest and most directly fixed by tweaking the Comm.

For example a drop pod can not attack a Commander that it can not find. Melee range units are similarly ineffective against a proper disintegrator gun. Oh look it seems that TA already figured this out and we're back to square one solving problems that should never exist in the first place.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

i have absolutly no interest in commcloak ... to the point of not caring about how TA has done it anymore
    and if it it isnt´commsnipe it might be any other type of snipe ... do we want the game to become more of a snipegame?
    do we want a massivescalegame become more of a stealthgame? ... speaking for myself ... no i don´t ...
    and no i don´t care about off and on turnable unitoptions ...

PS: WB!

feel free to do that yourself, i merely am stating what i am concerned about ... and i think i have a right to do that ...
  10. KNight

I already did that if the first part of the post you quoted.

Mike
  11. MrTBSC

and i gave my answer to that already before aswell ... but i am so kind in repeating it ... transports that have to transist through layers would be targetable by aa anyway, having to touch ground they could also be targetable by groundunits giving you even more of a reason were to carefully drop your units ...
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Well that's just kind of like, your opinion, man.

Features can't just be plopped into the game. Everything new has to have understood interactions against everything else that exists. Not surprisingly, a large number of mechanics end up with a game ending power when directed against a Commander. Are we supposed to gut all those features before they're even given a chance? That's certainly an option for the distraught. But games aren't made to showcase one's emotional damage. They're made to show off as much cool stuff as possible.

There's no nice way to put it. You can screw with every single thing in the game just to make it okay against a Commander, or you can fix the Commander to work with the game he's supposed to be a part of. The options are to cripple everything, or fix one thing. Them's the facts.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

things change. they've said they could go back on previous statements and they also said they wanted a way to fight moving aestreus, either with avengers or nuke.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

A nuke seems a little excessive for one Astreus. It's like using a car crusher to flatten your coke can.
  15. tatsujb

well they said it wouldn't be a nuke but another missile you could build that's meant for that purpose.

either way kinda worth it don't you think?
  16. Geers

Not if there's a dox on there.
  17. tatsujb

lol
    actually you just made me have an idea.

what if the icon for unit in the transport was hidden as it flew through space? wouldn't that be funny? like "arrrg! do I shoot or don't I?"
  18. Geers

Yes it would be funny.

Unless it's happening to you.
  19. MrTBSC

as if it would be anything else ...

people like to suggest a lot of supposedly cool stuff .. however i have to question if they think their stuff realy through
    can you be realy so sure to think commcloak helps that much? what may have worked in other games may not
    be neccesarily be helpfull to another ... it might also be a thing of timing ... should we realy implement feature x before we implement a b and/or c?

i rather like to have the more rather basic but still important stuff be in first then having some special abilty that might either brake the game or needlessly make matches take longer than needed ...
    i personaly am not conviced that commcloaking will be fun on a multiplanetmatch ...
    so if there is realy no other way to balance stuff around the comm i still rather would have it to be implemented later but test other options before

i have to state it again ... though i possily wouldn´t like it too much i am rather for having radarstealth then any kind of optical cloak
  20. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

Well I like the idea of comm cloak, though I can see the problem with multiple planets ha ha. How about giving us a bunker we can build for our comms that could shield you from anything except a planetary smash? Or we could try both ideas to see which idea is better for fixing comm snipes?