[UPDATED: 2014-04-22] - Playtest reviews - Build 64624

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Martenus, April 21, 2014.

1. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

Not with a move order. They will run to their death.
    With patrol and attack order yes, they will stay at shooting range.
    drz1 likes this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Ah ok, thanks.
  3. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

One can only imagine what hell would have broken loose if I had not been too lazy to list details about the stream.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Oh yeah I would assume that will be the case however I would think that this would now make turrets pretty useless so you would need to micro a lot of your forces to counter theirs. Unless walls stop the grenadiers shots so you have more time to react. I haven't watched the tests so not sure their interaction with one another.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

You're ok. You're just a noob.

It looks like they will go high enough to go over the wall.
  6. thelordofthenoobs

How dare you insult me, you filthy rabble ?! :mad:

I am not a mere noob ! :eek:

I am the greatest noob of them all !

I am the Lord of the Noobs !!!
  7. stormingkiwi

I find myself kneeling before you, the humblest of humbles, in the hope that you would pardon my misdemeanor. I did not mean to be so demeaning of your person, noble and just, as it is. My implication was of course that one holding the rank that your station befits you, while also being of the Great Noobs, the Mighty and Unconquerable, the Inexorable Tide, the Unfaltering and Interminable Host, and additionally having the duties due to your aforementioned station, could not possibly be expected to engage yourself in the fine details of the customs and conventions of the trivial matters which has produced this rather unfortunate turn of events.

It is utterly to be expected, of course, that one of your station would act in a nature befitting that station, and thus inform the unenlightened multitude in the manner you suggest.

I find I may only beg your forgiveness for the grievous pain I have caused you.
    cdrkf, thelordofthenoobs and Martenus like this.
  8. thelordofthenoobs

Touched by this heart-rending, but adequate, plea for forgiveness, I have no other choice than to comply with this very request.

This act is not an easy one because the pain runs deep.

But because of my greatness and kind-heartedness I will take it upon myself to try to forget this pain and and I will instead continue with building up my army consisting of nothing but Bomb Bots, so I can soon conquer the entire galaxy.
  9. stormingkiwi

News of your merciful majesty has spread far, borne on the lips of those travellers journeying across the long dark void of cyberspace.

Such tales of your splendour are often dismissed as being the fantasies of the feeble, or merely the fanciful exaggerations of voyagers far from home.

It is with great relief that I learn the facts of the matter, that everything they had to say was grossly understated, and the accounts they bore represent a diminished version of the truth.

I wish you well in your efforts. Please, if you ever find yourself in my neighbourhood, I would be honoured and joyful to offer you any and all assistance it was within my power to give.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. Devak

Devak Post Master General

You really should sit down with Brian , couple of beers & a bag of chips (crisps?) and watch these playtests together :D
  11. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Can I ask where those pictures are from? Since they're not from the stream and use the transparent icons mod...
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Not sure either of them are old enough to have a beer in Brian's country, so it'd have to be on this side of the pond :D Therefor it is crisps :)
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Also, I have to say, the concept of 'beer' differs greatly depending on which side of the Atlantic you originate from.
    cdrkf, stormingkiwi and optimi like this.
  14. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

Semi-offtopic: some site critique
    • add icons to your navigation
    • don't have top and side navigation unless one of them is de-emphesized to nothingness it's just plain annoying to navigate; yes your side navigation is just top players but its not obvious when scanning so all it does is cause confusion on which is actually important. For all a visitor to your site knows the player navigation is all there is to the site or the more important one; especially when the top one has no less then 6 about pages in it.
    • if I have to dissect your site to find these "reviews" then the reviews do not exist. I did indeed fail to find them. If they're not there yet don't link to them, or imply they're there. People won't check them again once they're familiar with your link, do you want my impression of your site to be "a site with nothing on it" ? Why do you think every best practice guide for 404s dictates you try your hardest to help people find the things they were looking for? Linking people to nothing is usability suicide.
    • make buttons look like buttons, links more prominent and tighten up the general "style guide" of your site, you may have a consistent color theme but the way you're using it is all over the place
    • don't have pages that go to nowhere and link to nowhere else. Top navigation doesn't count, your content should just plain not let the visitor to your site get stranded.
    • too many "contact/about/heres-how-to-help-us" pages
    • showing recognition to other sites (such as at least the official forums and channels) makes you look like you're part of the PA community, all the "us, we, blah blah" self-centered text distances you from the rest of the community. It's possible you want that, but I'm just point it out.
    • your presentation is not very cohesive, the carousel you're using is a bad idea; people only use that when they have marketing "noncontent" they just want to attract people in with not actual "useful information." Is your data there pure marketing? if the answer is "no" then don't use a carousel to present it. Also it doesn't auto-scroll and the arrows to the side are practically invisible, so as far as anyone is concerned it's a single fixed header.
    Lastly, not a critique per se but just general opinion, you should scale with your content. If you don't really have much content try to make the best out of what you have. With the amount you courrently have as content I would have personally recommended making a single-page site, since that's really good presentation for the content you have currently, and moving to a full blown spider web when you actually had things to show for it. Your visitors don't necessarily like "work in progress" pages.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. Martenus

Legally drinking since 18, unofficially since 15. Don't worry :D I am probably older than the picture looks.
    Devak likes this.
  16. Martenus

Hey, thanks for a very nice feedback on the website. We are indeed heavy in developement and there is many dead ends and confusion at some places, this should be gone as time progresses. I am sorry if this hasn't been stated more visible so it created your confusion. The website once finished will have plenty of content etc, so it will definitelly be worth browsing.

I will link your post to our dev team so they can review your feedback and take some actions if necessary. Thank you very much again and I hope you will follow us in the future.
    drz1 likes this.
  17. Martenus

Thanks, I corected these.

So according to many people here, we should cooperate. They aren't aware of the situation fully I believe, so it is easy to shout, but we know it is hard to implement it. Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinion on how to handle things.

My intension is to create content for our website and you have the same goal for yours, I understand that. We can have this healthy website competition, I am completely fine with that. On the other hand, I would like to make it easier for the audience on forums and reddit respectively.

How would you feel about consolidating our reviews just for the forums, so it is all in one thread? I would suggest a third-party to handle the consolidation and the reviewers to send their articles to him to publish it. Any other reviewer can join the party as well and his review would be included in such consolidated post.

The consolidation should filter out the duplicated, pick the best quality pictures only and link to all reviewers website, so it always has the best possible content and attributes all the reviewers.

We would only need "that" guys, some Mr. Consolidator. Maybe on of the Vanguards could handle it for us?
    bradaz85 and drz1 like this.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Idk, if brian already does something, you could ask him to cooperate with whatever your trying to do.

Failing obtaining cooperation, this thread would have been necesary as you don't have any other choice. Technically you are just trying to do it for your site so there is a reason to the work.

I wouldn't be sure one way or another if brian would agree to let you post his threads on experimental build notes on your site, he hasn't said it himself one way or another. I am also not trying to get involved, so that is all I will say on the matter. Matter of fact, I read and like'd both threads.
    stormingkiwi and Martenus like this.
  19. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Keep the competition and make it healthy. Will speed up the reports and good advertising for exodus too if you continue linking. Pointing people to your signature may be less "pushy". Or point to it and also link for people on phones that can't see your signature. I like subtle.

Not commenting nor denying the icons. Secret testers are out!!
    bradaz85, philoscience and Martenus like this.
  20. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Well they aren't useless if
    Indeed, it is easy to judge when you (I) don't know the situation.
    Well done on doing the mature thing and suggestion collaboration, even if things don't pan out.
    Personally I will be supporting both parties with my viewing clicks, no matter what. :p