PC Rig Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thebigpill, April 21, 2014.

1. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Basically, this is the what does your desk look like thread, where hardware nerds can ******* to each others' setups and laugh at ignorant razer peasants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those interested:

Pre-amp: AKAI AM-U33 (it's ancient, stole it from my dad)
    Cans: Superlux HD 681

KB: Ducky Zero with Cherry Red Switches (<3)

Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
    MOUSE: Zowie AM @450cpi&500hz/Microsoft IME 3.0 @500hz (<33333333333333)

Left screen: Samsung SyncMaster EX2220 @60hz
    Right screen: Asus VG something, cba to look for the box @120hz

Chair: Fatal1ty/Razer co-op project for ultimate gaming performance and sick 360 swivels
    Last edited by a moderator: April 21, 2014
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

IMG_20140421_210004.jpg

Yeah, my second screen isn't actually plugged in yet.
  3. thebigpill

I don't see a mousepad.

It hurts.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

photo.JPG
    i dont know why it's sideways
  5. kvalheim

Been meaning to, but it's lower on the list after a cable for the second screen and a microphone
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I don't actually use a mousepad any more. I've found it causes more problems for the mouse I use than it prevents.

If I can get my desk cleaned up, I might post a picture of my home rig/workstation setup. Though it's a work space as much as a gaming space. :)
    squishypon3 and kvalheim like this.
  7. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

<3

Attached Files:

8. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• asd.jpg
      asd.jpg
      File size:
      828.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: March 10, 2017
  9. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Threads like this are why I feel bad about my decent enough but budget gaming machine.

At least I put a nice desk together for it :D

(if I can find a decent enough camera, you get pictures)

EDIT: heck, have my current desktop and a Speccy screencap of my rig. CPU runs quite hot, I think that's due to the GPU fan pointing upwards. Everything else runs low enough.

[​IMG]
  10. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that a budget machine, the CPU and GPU are pretty damn high up in their respective generations.
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I had to get it, got it on a budget (otherwise I'd have shelled out for a 780 at the time and a fourth-gen Core i5. Don't really need an i7 even with the programming work I do). Still using old hard drives, monitors and peripherals.

Couldn't pick and choose, old PC literally blew up on me :(
  12. kvalheim

I got a fairly cheap one at about £500. Runs everything I want it to well enough, and the guy threw in like a twice as powerful power supply for free because they messed up the first order. I need to buy more RAM though sometime soon

diag.png
  13. garat

As promised, my workstation setup at home (Wife sits behind me on the other wall - we used to have separate offices, but we liked working closer together):
    IMG_2577.JPG

Main monitor is an HP 30" 2560x1600 I've been running for about 4 years now, secondary is my photo monitor, an Asus ProArt series monitor.. 24 or 26" or some such. Main reason I have it is for color reproduction, as the HP sucks for that.

Keyboard is a logitech G710+ and mouse is Logitech G700. Headphones are my studio monitors, a now very old pair of AKG K240 Monitors I normally use with my performance board when it's not hooked up to the amp.

PC is a mix of old and new - I rarely upgrade the whole thing, but piecemeal it. You can see my old, almost as heavy as a car P180 antec case below my desk, and up top is the new case, motherboard and CPU. Fractal Designs Artic something or other - very well put together case. Intel i7 4770K CPU (Haswell) and I think a gigabyte motherboard I threw in it. I already had 32GB of DD3 memory in it, again for photography and video work, and the rest is a mix of older components. SSD boot drive, but hybrid data drive for more storage without having to sell a limb to finance it. I used to be in the motherboard design division of Intel about 20 years ago, and so it feels wrong to not build my own PC, so to this day, I still always build em. Well, except for my laptop. That's still kinda hard to do. :)

Most important thing, not pictured, is the chair. Herman Miller Aeron that I got refurbed for about a third retail. So far beyond worth it for the amount it has saved my back.

And some people might recognize the now faded water cup on my desk. Old Gas Powered Games 32 ounce cup we all got way back when. Been using it ever since.
  14. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

IMG_20140422_075255.jpg IMG_20140422_074857.jpg
    Red : ic7 920 2.7ghz boost think 3.2 something.
    12g ram 1600 mhz
    standar hdd 7200 1 t
    7970 ghz e used to have 6970 cross
    Logitech g930
    G9
    x4 sidewinder
    w7 pro
    connected to a sound system

Blue AMD quad core, 3,2ghz @ 4.2
    8 g ram 1333 mhz
    AMD 4870x2
    another hdd 7200 1 t
    Logitech MX Wireless
    no keyboard
    W vista
    connect to a sound system
    Last edited: April 22, 2014
  15. Devak

Devak Post Master General

MOAR SCREENS! MOAR!
  16. thebigpill

The Zowie AM/FK have the 'issue' that the lens gathers dust insanely fast, resulting in a lot of random jitters. Plus, the shape is completely different from G400. If I were you, I'd look into finding a Logitech MX500 somewhere, or buying a Zowie eVo (same internals as AM/FK, different shape).

Also mods y u do dis :(
  17. tollman

tollman Member

I am thinking of getting the The logitech G710+ myself but it is a lot of money for a keyboard. Could you tell me how it is? Most reviews say it is good for games and for typing, would you say this is true?
    Do you game on your 30" monitor? When I next settle down I am thinking of getting a 27" as I have heard 30" is a bit much for gaming as you can't take it all in without turning our head to look at different areas and then you miss things happening on the other side of the screen. Have you found this to be the case?
    Cheers!
  18. garat

Keyboard - I love keyboards that have a bit more mechanical feel to them. Not the full on click, but a distinctive "tap" when you type. I used ergo keyboards for a long time, but I went back to a standard keyboard a few years ago, and actually had fewer hand/wrist problems (everyone's different, and apparently ergo was not for me), and can type much faster.

I game exclusively on the 30". The secondary requires too much head turn to see it properly. Much of the time I run games in a window, though PA and D3 I tend to run both full screen to remove distractions. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I also sit a decent distance back from my monitors. Just like a 60" television doesn't feel overwhelming when you're sitting on a couch, if you're a good three - four feet away from your monitor, same deal.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

[​IMG]
    This is the wall of my brother's livingroom. It is my entire living quarters, the desk on one end, the shelves at the other end, the wall and window behind me, and the couch as my bed. I know this thread is about rigs, but my living place is small enough to show, as it basically is the rig if you think about it.

[​IMG]
    My MNC stuff, that pile of junk is out of place, been meaning to sort it out, but that pile of junk is where my PA stuff will sit when I get it.

[​IMG]
    A standard shelf below the "Tank". Where I store food and drink and random knick knacks. I should reorganize. The cards are just there because my brother found them in his closet when he moved in 5 years ago, a coworker brought up magic the gathering, and when I told my bro he asked if it was popular because he had a thousand cards in his closet. Now I have them, good find!

[​IMG]
    The bottom shelves, as well as the box you see the clothes overflowing from, are only for clothes. There is my 1 year old nephew, and anything valuable must sit out of reach. He find the clothes boring, almost never pulls them out. There is a sheet of folded up tall box behind the shelf anyway, between that and the other tall box with clothes inside, it blocks it off.

[​IMG]
    This is my computer desk top. Cluttered with a few glasses and papers and bottles and even a can of jalopenos. Goes good in ramen. The monitor is an Emachine 18' that came with the piece of crud. It is a poor man's gaming rig, what can I say, you can't tell me it doesn't run PA or Planetside2, because I play them on it, it does do it. The television is a samsung 24' I got from a Gamestop Display. The wires were cut inside as a store display model, I rewired it, like that did a lot of good, cutting the wires, right?

[​IMG]
    This is my computer and Xbox. The computer is an EMachine ET1331-40e, it has Athlon II X2 220 2.8ghz processor, Geforce 9500 GT 1gb graphics card, 4x2gb pc2-6400 ddr2-800 non-ecc 240pin DIMM Ram cards (2 dell 2 other brand), 500gb HD with 420 in the main storage partition, 550W power supply my roommate had lying around somewhere, Win7 64-bit home premium and Lubuntu 13.10 both installed.

Commence laughing at my life. I think it is pretty a'ight. Otherwise I wouldn't be posting it here, would I? PS: I want thebigpill's desk mic, those things are so awesome, Lanipator got me into those things.
    Clopse likes this.
  20. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Tried to capture my whole workspace in a single picture, but yea. My PC is pretty much hooked to everything in my room.

- Big LED SmartTV, VCR/XBox 360 below it, stack of 360 games behind it, as well as my own router.
    - PC with two monitors and a G15, hooked up to a amplifier with 4 boxes, as well as the 2 boxes besides my monitors. Headset, webcam, drawing tablet, wireless/battery-less mouse.
    - Lots of games, DVD's

2014-04-22 18.33.33.jpg
    phantomtom likes this.