New Unit Ideas

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by christer1966, April 21, 2014.

1. christer1966

christer1966 Member

Hi guys,

His is my first topic on the forum so constructive criticism and feedback is welcome.

Lately I have been thinking about how lots of people are commenting that a fully fleshed out unit roster is needed. So I have been thinking about it and I think that I have come up with a few unit ideas that could help flesh out the roster.

The Raptor - With the recent experimental live streams and the furore of changing the Dox from an assault unit to a grenadier a lot of people are complaining that this is a bad thing. I am taking a different view on it. I think we should embrace this change as an opportunity to keep T1 bots useful while expanding the unit roster. I say keep the Dox and its model as a grenadier as there are no T2 Artillery bots. This will stop part of the problem of T2 invalidating units, at least with bots, because it is cheaper to make a whole load of Dox and mix them in with your T2 bots than Pelter creep or build a T2 vehicle factory and then get some Shellers out. I believe that in the absence of an assault bot the Raptor should be added. Zaphodx posted this video back in the alpha:
    and it showed some unit models. His favourite model was the raptor and I think it was pretty cool as well. My proposal is that the Raptor fills the role of the previous Dox as an assault bot and it has the same stats as the previous Dox.

The Dysderid - In the same video there was a picture of a spider bot. I am not sure whether to place this bot in T1 or T2 but it should be named the Dysderid. It should have 8 legs to distinguish it from the Quad commanders and since its name is a species of rare 6 eyed spider it should, obviously, have six eyes. Its weapon should be a beam that has small initial damage but a large Damage-Over-Time effect. I think it would be pretty cool if it could walk on the sea floor to balance its low damage weapon.

An Anti-Homing Missile Tank - I have no idea what this units name should be so you guys should name it. It should be a T2 tank that should have storage of about 10 anti-missiles that would work against the Catapult, the Stingray’s missiles and the Nuke. Perhaps a Nuke should use up 3 or 4 of its missiles before it is destroyed because they wouldn’t be as strong as a proper anti-nuke. They would be very expensive to build and would have all its missiles loaded to start off with. It would slowly rebuild its missiles after they are fired but it could not be assisted by fabricators of any kind because of balance. The missiles would cost and take less time to build than an anti-nuke’s missiles. This should help when you are invading a planet by stopping catapults raining down on your units.

An Anti-Air Satellite – Again I am terrible at naming things so you could come up with a name. This satellite would be built in the orbital factory (not the launcher) that was shown in the experimental live streams or if we don’t get that then by the orbital fabricator. Instead of the conventional satellite that shoots anti-air missiles down to the air layer I propose a different approach. This satellite’s weapon would be a beam that would go down to the ground and form a bubble that goes over both the ground and air layers. This bubble would be large enough to fit a teleporter, a couple of T2 mobile flack bots (which are a confirmed feature) and 2 or three Anti-Homing Missile Tanks and it would last long enough for a teleporter to be built by a solitary fabricator with about 4 or 5 seconds after for the units to come out of the teleporter before having to recharge. The satellite itself would cost a huge amount and would take heaps of energy to maintain the bubble. This bubble would deactivate any air that flies into it. The air units would just land and would not be able to be moved until the bubble deactivates. This would counter the ‘lockdown’ of a planet with T2 air and make invasions easier to successfully pull off.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

No one is complaining that the grenadier is a bad thing.
    People are complaining because replacing the Dox instead of making a new grenadier bot is a stupid idea.

Yes.
    YES.

Orbital beam weapons are a confirmed no, unfortunately.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

But Uber is contemplating an anti air satellite that fires homing missiles. I like the idea of an anti-air satellite.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Me too, I was just stating factuals.
  5. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Anti-Homing Missile Tank: Tortise

Anti-Air Satellite: Icarus

I like all of your ideas, but the satellite seems better suited to launch homing missiles rather than a bubble.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

rather than embrace an anti air satellite, I lament why we need one.

I mean, why not throw a few ideas as mechanics for it as well? Like space planes, an orbital air-unit factory, or contendable antiair like stingers are kinda.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Source? I hope and dream....and that crushes it.
  8. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I think that one of the biggest issues at the moment is that T2 completely invalidates T1, since the latter has no defenses at all against units like the Catapult. Having a counter to it exclusively from Orbit might exacerbate the problem. I would rather like to see something usable against homing missiles in T1 as well.
  9. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I like the idea of a T1 tank by the name of Ant....
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been advocating for changing the Peregrine for some time. Make it about the same stats as the Hummingbird, and give it the ability to fly between planets.

But I say, why not have the option?