how Epic will Galactic war be?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nuketf, April 20, 2014.

1. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

how epic shal it be uber?
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

As much as I heard about it, it is very vague and still heavily worked on so it can do any direction at this point.

However, it should be a good procedurally generated campaign, worthy of a good game using procedurally generated matches.

I can't say I have played a procedurally generated campaign for an RTS or if one exists prior to this, but I bet I will get thousands of hours worth of fun out of it in the long run. Even those with short attention spans afford more than 1 playthrough unlike traditional story campaigns, and procedural should mean installing mods technically modifies the campaign too (at least the in-match battles, the actual campaign will generate similarly), so you could have fun with mods or total conversions in campaign as well, affording perhaps a few more playthroughs per mod.

I used to be a fan of sim base Red Alert 2, but I am taking quite a shining to "start here and spread planet-sized army swarms planet to planet over and over again as fast as possible" type games of PA. I didn't know I would like invasion more than basebuilding until this game developed.
    melhem19 likes this.
  3. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

ah i hope they make it so you can have like a mothership planet move from your system into a hostile one!
    killzone5017002 likes this.
  4. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

think when you annihilated your first planet...
    GW will be 100 times that feel
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I kinda wish they'd throw some of their concepts, maybe even just screenshots of their past iterations on here, or at least describe them in some detail. I'd like to see what directions they've tested out, both out of interest in the development process and to get an idea as to what galactic war may be like in the broadest sense.
    Should I expect a UI somewhat akin to Spore's galactic view? Will there be a difference between "attacking" a system or "defending", or does that idea even make sense in the context of galactic war?
    killzone5017002 likes this.
  6. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

@aevs same here! i want to see what thay done sofair....SOO BADLY DX
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

8. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I never thought of modding the GW.... so who is going to be the crazy one who mods in supcom 1's universe and you fight to take over the who thing for your faction xD
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The most intriguing part is that in most of the livestreams, whenever someone brings up the GW, it's either responded with "Not going to touch it" or a very brief and vague description.
    It's a little worrying, to be honest.
    I mean, I trust Uber enough to know that they're going to make it as good as possible, but the fact that they've been so open with everything about the game EXCEPT Galactic War, possibly one of the most looked forward to aspects of the game, has me concerned.
  10. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Could be the REASON they don't wanna mention something that's both so anticipated and complex. Could end up raising up hopes too much and getting ruined if it doesn't live up to expectations. It's also more or less a meta-game, and the actual base gameplay needs to be working as well as possible before starting on something like that.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Given the majority of community reactions to big things thus far combined with the fact that most reactions are horribly knee-jerk-ish to the point where Neutrino regularly comments that people assume the worst possible out come up-front it's not that hard to see why they'd rather play it close to the chest while a lot of the fundamental elements are being worked out.

Mike
    lokiCML and cptconundrum like this.
  12. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Galactic War will come out in several different phases. Expect to see single player GW and multiplayer GW come out at vastly different times.
  13. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That's a fair point, I s'pose.
  14. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

offline only first is understandable online probly will be a pain to code...i wish you luck! wish i could do somthin but im just starting to know how to code :p 1 so fare class...C# :/ e[ic job so fare btw :p
  15. tilen

tilen Member

I see the GW as a sort of Total War-esque campaign map. I think it'll be a series of skirmishes, connected by a meta map.
  16. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Regardless of what shape the Galactic War is in at release, I'm interested in what the modding community will do to it. A single-player campaign mode has lots of potential for extra modded stuff; whether it be some form of "tech tree" to unlock further units, a scripted campaign in addition to the PCG one, quests/goals to achieve for bonuses, special star systems with interesting new toys- the possibilities are endless and very, very cool.
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Star Wars Empire at War and Rise of Nations, off the top of my head.

But yes. Thousands of playthroughs :) Such feature, much excitement, very scathis.
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am interested in a non linear yet storyline campaign, based off custom storyline and savegame loading as the locations.

I'm thinking of my own fan fiction for a story for campaign.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. Kola2

Kola2 Member

I think it should be like you can start a galactic war and play together/against friends, each of the players are empires which just recently got the technology to move around to other solar systems. Kinda like spore space stage.
    When the player wanted to destroy/occupy a planet he just clicked on it and selected "start annihilation" he would then drop off maybe 2 or 3 commander which would build a base and destroy the base already there.
    At any time you could save and quit, and to load back the game you would have to get all players who has played there to log on, and then start up the savefile again.

And of course it could need some storyline.
  20. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

First it needs to be.