It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Except that then they can't shoot behind them, that's the biggest issue with the Salem on Land aside from it's INCREDIBLY slow speed. The 3Rd biggest issue is their lack of real AA, it's AA weapon has 60 DPS. There should be NOTHING stopping a bunch of T2 Gunships from wrecking a bunch of Salems on land where no Sirens can't protect them.

To be frank, if your opponent let you do so much damage with such a flawed unit, either you were much better than them to begin with or it was the stock AI.

Mike
  2. pizzalover3000

pizzalover3000 Active Member

Okay, I know it's a no. But a T3 land/air option. (experimentals)? If it doesn't happen, I am modding it in.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Uber's either not doing it at all, or it'll happen far past initial release.
    Now's the time to jump start on unit concepts :p
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I know this post is old, but HOLY HELL I LOVE THIS IDEA.
    cdrkf and ooshr32 like this.
  5. pizzalover3000

pizzalover3000 Active Member

Dang... That is a really good idea!!!
  6. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

So, you know the orbital engie things the comm builds in the trailer? Why don't we have two tech levels of them, however;
    T1 can only be built on areas at 400 mass or less. They are very similar to the astreus, but can hold 4 things, and can only hold T1 units.
    T2 is 1000 or less, and cannot be reused. It can hold T2 or T1 units, and has to be loaded with units from the ground.
  7. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

how about fighters aircraft, orbital units that can move between the orbital layer and air layer, even orbital units that can enter the atmosphere

how about amphibous vehicles that can fly n stuff
    You could have satellites that deploy probes on the ground for radar jamming and planetary invasion. You could also have interplanetary rockets that deploy a small# of units with radar jamming equipment, teleporter devices stuff like that. You could also have gravity well weapon to pull satellites into the atmosphere to burn. Then you could have special teleporting recon units to travel between planets.

I would to see more underwater stuff too.
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

They did it in C&C Red Alert 2 it's the spider bot, that also killed the unit it was in
  9. doxbox

doxbox Member

A unit that fires oxygenating goo, causing anything made of metal to rapidly rust and degrade.

A railgun; can only fire line of sight but massive firing range, fires through 1-5 enemies, can target air but can't track/fire fast enough to defend against a real air attack. stationary structure.

Stealth aircraft (not radar visible with power) which can "tag" enemy units/structures from some distance, giving them a small radar radius around that enemy unit for some time.

Tier 3 artillery. Fires EMP shells at twice the rate of the T2 artillery at the same range. These shells cause enemy units to halt for 3-6 seconds.
  10. doxbox

doxbox Member

A unit that fires oxygenating goo, causing anything made of metal to rapidly rust and degrade.

A railgun; can only fire line of sight but massive firing range, fires through 1-5 enemies, can target air but can't track/fire fast enough to defend against a real air attack. stationary structure.

Stealth aircraft (not radar visible with power) which can "tag" enemy units/structures from some distance, giving them a small radar radius around that enemy unit for some time.

Tier 3 artillery. Fires EMP shells at twice the rate of the T2 artillery at the same range. These shells cause enemy units to halt for 3-6 seconds.
  11. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

Once a guy moved a buch of salems on the ground which were guarded by tech 2 anti air tanks. It's basically a mobile artilery platform with a long range and it's missiles can not be intercepted by tech t2 anti missile platform however it is called in English. He did it since his allies t3 seraphin tanks were good for nothing when faced against my t3 ground turrets and I was finishing a nuke. And that's not the only time I saw people use Salem's effectively on ground( not only against me). Wrecking a bunch of units with Salems is no problem, even t3. Especially some t3 are so slow like Salems. Light t3 bots on other hand die pretty easily from them. Just a couple of hits are needed.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I never said the Salem had NO uses, but lets be realistic, there is nothing on land that Salems can effectively replace. For example, when talking about Artillery, for the cost of 1 Salem you can almost get 3 Trebuchets which do almost as much raw DPS but in all likelihood to a lot more damage with the AOE.

Again, if your opponent let you do so much damage with such a flawed unit, either you were much better than them to begin with or it was the stock AI.

Mike
  13. karolus10

karolus10 Member

What about Orbital metal extractor... AKA "leech"

This unit could anchor over metal spot (building "outlet" on the ground and connected by some kind of tractor beam) and be similar to T2 metal but consume energy during operation.
    Second use of Leech would be interdiction of enemy metal spots and blocking it's production - it would anchor over enemy metal spot and disabling it.

Also It would be only way to extract mass from gas giants (yet it would still had limited amount of "spots", as it would be "minimal safe distance" for stable extraction, avoiding making gas giants mass OP).
    Last edited: April 1, 2014
  14. rainexxx

rainexxx New Member

I really am careful to suggest this due to the sensitivity in "Borrowing Ideas," from other games. But, I'd seriously look at Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance for unit ideas. Though the game had it's flaws, it is considered an iconic RTS.

Besides, I don't know if the Sorian for this, is the same Sorian from Supcom that did "Sorian's AI;" but didn't he add several unique units into a FA, and Supcom mod that were unique from the fundamental game itself?

Adding t1 sheild bots would be a nice touch, since the game currently doesn't have shields. Just throwing around thoughts.
  15. rainexxx

rainexxx New Member

Also Flamethrower tanks, and Shield Towers. Also, bigger walls for late game. :D
  16. karolus10

karolus10 Member

I think that we don't need shields as we had "medic" fabricators (their speed should be buffed, so they would repair faster but drain proportionally more energy).
    I would not mind having maintenance towers that would be capable of quickly repairing (if you had enough energy to keep them running) large amounts of units (or keeping structures in range alive) but be stationary.
    Other use of maintenance towers could be assisting factories or other structures in similar way like combat fabricators do.

At least it makes more sense for me than using shield bubbles.

Also normal walls are more powerful than they should and I would not see a problem in moving walls to T2 fabricators or making them weaker.
    Last edited: April 1, 2014
  17. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Infernos and Vanguards are both flame thrower tanks. Shields are a definite 'no'. Walls are already quite strong, even against T2.
  18. zurginator

zurginator Member

Mobile anti-nukes.

Slow, low armor, only carry 1 (maybe 2), and expensive - useful to hold in the center of a large enemy (defensive nuke counter), or to send through a teleport. Not economical enough to replace the standard launcher.

[​IMG]
    (yes I know that's actually an ICBM, it's just a reference to how it could look)
  19. nateious

nateious Active Member

How about a suicidal single use multi-unit transport.

Just to toss some numbers out, let you load it with 10 T2 or 20 T1 units (or a mix of that), give it good armor so it has survivability when attacking a heavily defended planet, but when it lands it lands fast and hard. It dies in the process but does some damage with a small AOE, leaving nothing but the units it was transporting behind.
  20. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

THIS. I want this, along with a generalized method to drop buildings from orbit onto the ground, with similar results. It could even re-use most of the same art assets and infrastructure to do it.

Could you imagine how cool it would be dropping twenty or so of these things on a planet?
    PeggleFrank and nateious like this.