PA will never be balanced

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ikickasss, April 17, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Then in the context of PA you should disagree with All Inter-Planetary transport methods because when you own a planet, ANY invasion will "take place behind your frontline" as it were.

Mike
    Last edited: April 18, 2014
  2. tilen

tilen Member

That is correct, but there's a difference between, say, a dropship (which can be intercepted and is probably slower than-) and a teleport or a unit cannon in SupCom 2 form.

What I am saying is I dislike the idea of being able to just throw units at the enemy. They need to somehow get through your countermeasures.
  3. KNight

So, your assuming then that it will be the same implementation and Uber won't design within the context of PA?

Mike
    igncom1 likes this.
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

That's why I hate the current conception of what orbital should be. . .

To me, there shouldn't be fighters or battles in the orbital layer at all. It should be about building up coverage in the orbital layer, and defending the ground with stuff. Maybe some orbital units are interceptors, but they shouldn't be fighters, more like nukes.

On interplanetary transports - to me, the units being transported have to fly through the orbital and air layers - so there should be some way of dealing with them as they transition through those layers.
    Antiglow, eroticburrito and godde like this.
  5. tilen

tilen Member

I am making that assumption based on the principles of cannon operation or something similarly scientific-y, yes.

That is to say: I think any iteration of a unit cannon would have to perform alike and for it to not be used as I fear it would have been, there'd have to be restrictions such as, for example, no dropping units within a certain distance of an enemy unit and/ or structure, but I imagine that'd be a nightmare to balance.
  6. KNight

That's still assuming they will function the same. Which is already proven wrong because the Unit Cannon wasn't planned to be a Factory of any kind.

I think you need to re-frame your concern, because if you were to say it like this;

"I'm worried that Interplanetary Transport Options will be binary in how it functions instead of having more interesting depth."

Instead of;

"I think the Unit Cannon is a bad idea because of the Noah From SupCom2 which is a completely different game and has a completely different design methodology compared to PA but it's still clearly the same thing so it's a bad idea."

Would would much more clearly understand exactly what your concerned about instead of getting hung up about the comparison with the Noah.

Mike
    liquius and stormingkiwi like this.
  7. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

I dont even understand the purpose of the unit cannon? transport units to another planet? transport em fast to another planet? Like what unit`s woulde u transport or "shoot"? for what reson? Most be some badass unitcannon inorder to shoot 500 unit`s to another planet. how fast woulde this cannon shoot? I DONT UNDERSTAND :D i really dont:)
  8. KNight

I'm assuming the Unit Cannon was initially intended to be kind of the middle ground in terms of how fast it could transport a set number of units compared to something like the Teleporter which can Transport units much faster. The Catch is that the Teleporter needs a Gate on both ends where as the Unit Cannon doesn't. Thus the Unit Cannon is good for the start of an invasion of an enemy planet from a moon base because you can send units without having anything already on the enemy planet's surface. Once you've got a secured Beachhead you can start setting things up with Teleporters.

In the end we don't know EXACTLY what Uber intended because in a way they didn't know all the details themselves because they use an irritative design process but we can make some good guesses based on comments and such over the last 2 years.

Mike
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Cant u just remake it into an orbital sheller? I know where im going with this...:D ( here i come, nukes and all, shellers in place....it`s time) MAN THAT WOULDE BE SOOOOOO COOL
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Err.. what?

The unit cannon is a unit. cannon. I.e. it "fires units".

There it is from SupCom 2.

The point of it is to transport units from one place to another. I don't really see how an orbital sheller is comparable.

It's planet to orbit to planet transport.
    I misread that as irritating design process :)
  11. KNight

I misread that as irritating design process [/quote]
    Yeah I've done that myself a couple times.

Mike
  12. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

"Irritative" reads much more like "irritating" than it does "iterative".
    BulletMagnet and stormingkiwi like this.
  13. KNight

.............that's probably why! xD

Mike
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

I thought this was just going to be a complaint thread. Instead it was about how a game can never be completely balanced and that the best thing for players to do is use what they think is the most powerful. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to agree with KNight here although perhaps it is a semantics issue. We tend to use 'balanced' to mean that the game is interesting and has a decent number of choices to make. In other words a balanced game is one which many choices which appear balanced. Most people would say that PA is imbalanced if there were only one viable unit but the game would still be balanced according to equal access.
  15. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Guys that say there are only two dominate ways to win you have no idea how to play. I can beat players either with land, air, orbital, or any other means in the game. in one of the builds i was killing players with battlebots. im just saying if you cant figure out other strategies in this game your probaly A sit in your base all game. B do not harrass C know when to expand to other planets. Probsly sim city is more up your alley. this game has so many complainers. i love the thread of the guy saying he got rushed in 5 min everygame and died. now he wants his money back from uber. unreal.
  16. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

balance
  17. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I also am a 2v2 or 2v2v2 player. i find it easier in team games to usr more strats.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. valheria

valheria Active Member

Having a satellite with mild AA capability would help a lot though when it comes to balance as you can't fully rely on the unit cannon when it comes in. As it stands it is very hard to take over a hostile planet without using planet smashing or nukes unless you are rich and spam lots of laser sats.

I say i don't like to use nukes or planet smashing much because i enjoy the challenge like most people on here do : )
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I agree its hard to take a defended planet but adding aa to satelites i dont think is the answer. I would just send anchors first then the satellite., weakening the anchors also made it harder to take planets but still can be done.
  20. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member