Planet Invasion Alternative Suggestion

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Tormidal, April 6, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Define "Fandoms".
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Fandom (consisting of fan [fanatic] plus the suffix -dom, as in kingdom, freedom, etc.) is a term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of sympathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest. Fans typically are interested in even minor details of the object(s) of their fandom and spend a significant portion of their time and energy involved with their interest.
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. igncom1

Exactly.

Classic internet.
  4. Geers

But spaceships!

in 4K! The Hobbit can suck it!
  5. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Drop pods falling in the planet as aa desperaly tries to destroy it and prevent the invasion, explosions light the skies as the survivors try to regroup and estabilish a beachead
    Soo yeah my wildest expectations
    AKA: D DAY STYLE INVASION FTW
    optimi likes this.
  6. igncom1

Ive never been bought by any amount of graphics.
  7. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Star Citizen is full of probably the best salesmen EVER. They figured out a way to make a figurative, in-lore commercial into a real, literal commercial for their game that is cooler because its a commercial.

We should all be very, very afraid.
    vyolin likes this.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Get back on topic or GTFO!
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. arthursalim

[​IMG]
    Being polite helps you know, sometimes an offtopic conversation helps letting people chill down for a second
    I dont see any moderator flag under your name to give you the autority to demand people out of the thread like that.
    Back on topic:
    Crashing a space ship against a planet just to start an invasion seens a little bit too radical
    Geers likes this.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Star citizen, first decent spiritual successor to Freelancer, doing stuff with RPG economy that should have been in Skyrim, gets my vote.
    Geers likes this.
  11. Geers

I hate to break it to you, but there were no orbital drop pods in the D-Day invasions. Where'd you learn your history?

You're missing the point. The point is SPACESHIPS.

It's because we all dream of the day those ads are real.
    stormingkiwi and igncom1 like this.
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

depends on the people and the wildness of their expectations.

Will they deliver what they ask money for? probably. Will that be what people expect? depends on who expects it and what they expect. Some people expect PA to be a Starcraft clone.
  13. hohopo

hohopo Member

I would love this to be the invasion mechanics, it would lead to some epic moments...
    Even if this is not the only way or best way to crack a planet I would love the D-Day style invasion option (for which a version of the OP's ship would be amazing for).
    We are slowly getting the elements we need, just have to find a way to deal with air and nukes when invading.
    arthursalim likes this.
  14. arthursalim

Really..?*does a quick search on the internet*
    Well wikepedia says it had plus i got something to make your argument invalid!
    [​IMG]
  15. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Where did he say they had orbital drop pods in the D-Day invasions?
  16. Geers

17. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I still dont see where explicitly said D-Day had orbital drop pods. The only actual reference to D-day is the "D-Day STYLE Invasion"
    corteks likes this.
  18. Geers

D-day style is carrying land troops by a ton of weak naval tin cans to a heavily defended beach. No drop pods there. He didn't outright say it but it was heavily implied.
  19. karolus10

karolus10 Member

Some time ago I had very similar idea with one exception - Large orbital transport (carrying around 25 vehicles or 50+ bots, assuming their different "cargo cap") that could be build on orbit and then land intact on any planet for troop loading/deployment but there is a catch - as ship built on orbit aren't insanely expensive it need disposable boosters to be build (unlike nuke/anti-nuke it build it at zero rate and need fabricators assisting) before launching it back into space.

If you ever saw scene of launching Pillar of Autumn you may know what I mean.

rewind to 30s (of course this is not suggestion how ship would look like)

This would split the cost and require most of fabrication back on the ground layer (as we are focused more on it instead having need of owning fleet of orbital fabbers to launch your ground army) and made the ship vulnerable after completed drop as if your troops don't succeed, they will be left behind and eventually destroyed/captured.

I would rather prefer having them less massive (but still big like 2 energy storage buildings side by side) in size, but more expendable, so You can build multiple of them and drop them in multiple locations to spread confusion and reduce chance of getting entire army killed by one nuke... so they would be more like WWII era landing crafts, sending couple of them rather than one massive "colony" ship.

EDIT_1: other possibility are smaller (~10+ units) disposable drop pod crafts, that could work in similar matter like Astreus (produced from orbital launcher) until it "arm" itself after filled with units and then send around 20-50 of them on the one way trip to the enemy planet... this idea could be particularly terrifying if combined with area command... effect similar to unit cannon, but more massive.

EDIT_2: As long as I like this idea I must said that if Astreus would be cheap enough and would work smooth in numbers it could be way to go as well.
    Last edited: April 16, 2014
  20. igncom1

The Astreus even in the current build is highly effective at this, due to the T2 economy and not to mention how transports don't currently need to descend to drop off their forces.

Producing the relevant transports and units to actually do an invasion is already there, a little rough around the edges, but is is there.

I actually tried it a few days ago in fact, rushing a group of 20 transported leveller tanks directly to my enemy's commander was extremely satisfying.