How do YOU play the game?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by igncom1, April 15, 2014.

?

How do YOU play the game?

1. I play Multiplayer!

32.9%
  2. I play SinglePlayer!

18.4%
  3. I play both SP and MP!

36.8%
  4. I don't even play!

11.8%
  1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Do you play Multi Player only?

Single Player against the AI only?

Or a mix?
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Well, these days I'm done playing until balance changes. I dislike the air superiority and tech race. The current balance just isn't fun. I'm playing RUSE and Civ V in the meantime.
    melhem19, cmdandy, tollman and 6 others like this.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I don't know why, but I could never get into ruse.

I felt like in the ruse demo that it was always a rush to get air superiority, and that once you had it, you were unstoppable.

That was a turn off in my experience, as I haven't tried it since.
  4. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

I play predominantly single planet 2v2's or 3v3's but recently have been warming up to FFA. I only play single planet because orbital is broken over several planets and the rounds on a single planet usually dont have as much nuke spam. On a single planet the air, bots, and tanks mostly seem to work out with balance. T2 gunships can be a pain but I start 6 bot factories pumping out stinger 7 minutes again so they really cant do anything. Vanguards are pretty ehhh, at the moment and really need some balancing changes but snipers and slammers are pretty decent against them. It works out pretty well and even though some thing needs some fixing I always enjoy myself and I dont think there is much that can compete with that :D.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Multiplayer, usually 1v1. I try to do a mix of ladder games and public lobby games. I think more of the better players should be doing public games against random players, because I worry that we will end up with a small group of good players that only ever compete with each other. Currently it's not too hard to get into competitive PA, but it might get worse if ladder players keep competing with just ladder players.
    Quitch likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

Ruse certainly is... extremely unique. I'm still getting used to it.

I've found that anti-air units can be pretty well taken care of by air-air ground units. Air superiority is a pretty valuable though.

I'm a sucker when it comes to WWII warfare.
    melhem19 and igncom1 like this.
  7. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

I was just wondering, I got PA stats and plan to start doing ladders :D. However may I ask how I start a ladder? Do i click the PA Stats 1v1 button to start one? And once I have played that round how do I continue the ladder? lol sorry for the bother but I got PA and pressed that button and ended getting put in a game with a Gandalf where my PC crashed and I had to leave for school and was really wondering about ladders. :)
  8. cptconundrum

Gandalf is reptarking on the forum, and he used to be at the top until he stopped playing so much.

Ladder games are registered any time two PA Stats users play a 1v1, so it isn't always just the auto-matches. The ladder uses an elo system and is run by Illmaren.

http://ladder.pastats.tk/1on1
    BulletsFrozen likes this.
  9. idsan

idsan Member

Multiplayer, but I'm kinda hanging for the next build to play again in earnest.
    improvised1, brianpurkiss and EdWood like this.
  10. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

@Brian If you like RUSE you should definitely check out Wargame...AirLandBattle (or RedDragon coming out this week), same developer just better in regards to gameplay... pretty amazing.
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Badly.

We already had this exact same thread didn't we?
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

i haven't really been playing much. The main gripe is that getting a game to work is finicky because it's kinda crash-happy.

click "launch" twice? crash. click a planet in the editor, change your mind, click the next, crash. Start the game? looks like it's crashing, but then it isn't, but then it is, then it isn't and in the end you wait 5 minutes and it works.

PA is still the only game that when it crashes, it makes my computer unusable for 2 minutes.

so yea, lots of love but practical, no.
    Alphasite likes this.
  13. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I used to play lots of SP (actually I mostly watched AIs fight each other :p) and some MP here and then till I got annoyed by the unbalance of the game too much. Building turrets all over the place without even being limited by economy is not all that fun.

And everyone abused it...(including the ai !!).

So I am direly hoping that there will be a decent balance patch soon.

I don't even care about direct upgrades and stuff all that much anymore.
    I simply want the game to feel remotely interesting again. I want units, I want to be limited by my economy and I want some half-decent orbital gameplay instead of this glitchy mess it is right now.
    stormingkiwi and brianpurkiss like this.
  14. brianpurkiss

Yeah. We all seem to be a little burnt out about the current state of the game.

PAX has taken up a lot of Uber's time. We should see some pretty big updates now that it's over.
    Alphasite and drz1 like this.
  15. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Multiplayer is quite unbalanced now, or rather full of cheesy tactics. I do not want to beat dead horses, so will not write which ones annoy me most.

So instead of doing real multiplayer ie fighting each other with cheesy tricks, I play coop games with friends against AI armies.
    Alphasite likes this.
  16. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Wanna play civ 5 together..?
    If so can i have your steam username..?
    Back on topic
    Just multiplayer..i'm horrible..
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

At first I didn't play.
    Then I played AI when I was bad.
    Then I played FFA and 1v1.
    Eventually, we got the latest balance patch.
    Then I tried playing FFA and 1v1, and didn't find it fun at all.
    After playing quite a bit of that, I tried playing against the AI, and still didn't find it fun.
    Now I play once or twice every few days, usually just to experiment with some mechanic, so I'm leaning towards "I don't even play".
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  18. thattallsteve

thattallsteve New Member

I tend to play MP, since the bot is too...too...vanilla(uses same tactics).
    A lot of 1v1s, though they don't show up on the ladder, since my friends don't have pa stats.

I looked at ruse and wargame, but they didn't hit home like PA (which has become better than I thought it would)

Civ V I've played too much of... 738 hours .__.
    though I'm up for Civ :D (steam account [SI] That Tall Steve)
    I also want a shirt that says
    Civilization V
    I <3 Barbarians
  19. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I do think it is interesting that members of the forum called Uber out on having a bad Meta months ago, and it's only after that time that the response has reached a point where it is universally disliked
    broadsideet likes this.
  20. cptconundrum

We have seen a few times where the meta we thought we were going to get wasn't the meta we ended up with after players had time to experiment with things. I think some people just took more time to work through it before coming to a conclusion. I'm still not seeing a game that's as broken as so many people claim though. It's a diferent game, but there is still a lot of strategy. I think things will get even more interesting when we get an update.
    cdrkf, christer1966 and aevs like this.