PA: The Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, March 17, 2014.

1. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Likewise.
  2. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Someone's been playing silly buggers in the Swahili section...
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Hmm, yeah. Seems like badly written German.
    Did you report it using the report icon?
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Nope. I don't have a login.
    Was just poking about for curiosity's sake.
  5. DeathByDenim

Ah, ok. I reported it in your place. Nice catch though.
    ooshr32 likes this.
  6. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Seems like it's bavarian. One guy actually calls himself "DerBayer". I think having some dialects (not just German dialects) translated could be fun..but we would have to mark them as such and not use other language's names.
  7. DeathByDenim

Doh, I lived there for three years and didn't even recognize it...
    Anyway, I agree with you, but the things they translated were also quite stupid. Like "get weed" or something about heavy diarrhea...
  8. thelordofthenoobs

Now that German has been "100 % approved" I went through all of the strings again and commented on 9 which might not be that good yet / contain some small errors / are debatable.

It would be nice if anyone who knows German takes a look at them (especially in the case of "ANNIHILATE" we might need some further opinions).

Here is the list with the strings:
    rorschachphoenix likes this.
  9. Frozendragon

Frozendragon New Member

Ok i completed the swedish translation, it just needs to be validated now. Hope you like it.
  10. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Just revised the Portuguese Brazilian text, mostly well done just added some new translations
  11. thelordofthenoobs

We still have some issues regarding translations (mostly from the options menu) that should be in ALL CAPS but are not (German translation).
  12. DeathByDenim

I've seen a few cases like that, but I think the CSS takes care of that. There are loads of these statements in the stylesheets:
    Code:
    text-transform: uppercase;
    So I don't think you need to worry too much about that.
  13. thelordofthenoobs

Well..when i tested the one .zip file we once received for testing I saw lowercase translations in the options menu. Maybe (hopefully) it has been changed since then.
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I was a little disappointed when I saw all the capitalized strings. Free hint for Uber: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-transform
  15. DeathByDenim

Ah, I guess they are not quite everywhere. I only tested the main menu.
  16. dajappie

dajappie New Member

The fact that it's often unclear whether a verb is in the imperative or in the infinitive makes it rather difficult to verify a lot of the translations in a lot of languages (if not most) other than English.

Than again, with the limited context I have, I tried to approve the Dutch translations to the best of my knowledge. We'll probably have to correct some verb forms later on (like Annuleer -> Annuleren or the other way around).
  17. DeathByDenim

When I look at the dialogs in my (Dutch) OS, they are all in the infinitive, so I tried to stick to that.
  18. DeathByDenim

So, any update for the new strings in the 64498 build? Specifically, the ones from the replay browser and the replay loading screen, but there may be others.
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Death, I'll be uploading new strings to GetLocalization today.

In other news, I've been testing out some of the new strings. Here's what they currently look like in Chinese:

upload_2014-4-29_11-35-10.png

If you want to test out the current batch of strings locally, you can download them here. To actually see them, you'll need to run your client pa executable with --locale=## (de, zh-CN, whatever the language code you're interested in). The files get placed in individual sub dirs in PA\media\ui\main\_i18n\locales.

As soon as I update GetLoc with the latest and greatest English strings, I'll post here about it.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

GetLocalization has been updated. It has set every language back to about 80% complete, as there are the addition of quite a few new strings, and some need to be re-translated now.

I'll be adding all the current translations into the game. We'll want to get eyes on it for bugs. I've already found a few places where the UI doesn't handle slightly larger translations. Some of that, we'll deal with - we usually assume about 30% space for overrun. But if the translation gets longer than 30% bigger than default, usually the translation has to be abbreviated or changed.