Planet Invasion Alternative Suggestion

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Tormidal, April 6, 2014.

1. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

From what I can gather from This Thread, the Unit Cannon is a long ways away, probably post-release.

So here's my alternative.

Im not one of those artistic guys that does artwork.

But here goes.

My thought was a massive ship that can only be built in orbit by the orbital fabbers.
    It takes a massive amount of resources and time to build, and can carry hundreds of units...ground Or naval. You can't mix and match.

Once its loaded, you tell the ship where you want it to go....normally at a particular area on another planet.
    Thats where it gets interesting.
    Instead of landing or dropping the units from the air, the ship crashes onto the planet. It kills maybe a third or a fourth of the units inside for balance, but also damages everything it crashes into. This will make the ship un-usable and spill out the surviving units.

Just a thought.

Care to share your two cents on my idea? :)
    thedenial likes this.
  2. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

That's just weird.

But hell, I'd pound the AI's base with a half-dozen of them.
  3. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I personally think it would work well for a shock-and-awe kind of attack
    hohopo and stormingkiwi like this.
  4. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

That seems really, really fun. Especially if it sticks around as a terrain feature. I'm not sure I like the whole thing where my units die on impact, though, I'm sure you could just reduce the number of carried units to a balanced number.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  5. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I didnt think about it sticking around as a terrain feature. That sounds even better. ;D
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Uber has said they're experimenting with drastically lowering the cost of the Astraeus to make them viable for invasions.

I really like that idea.
    tristanlorius and Murcanic like this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

As long as they get the ferry system in.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. j0hnb0y

j0hnb0y New Member

I'd like the Astraeus to be able to "link" with others, forming a daisy chain type arrangement. This means you connect a load, grab a load of units and off you go
    vymun, riddick3 and Geers like this.
  9. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Here is my suggestion. I would call it "The Siege Engine". How it wo rks is it can scoop up about a 200m radius of structures and units from the surface. You build whatever you would like to transplant then scoop it up and fly to another planet.
    Upon arrival it detonates a nuke at the landing site and then all units and structures inside of it instantly deploy on the surface in the exact same arrangement they were in when they were scooped up. Instant beach head.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  10. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

It sounds like a sort of Colony Ship.

Might be cool to try out. Almost anything is welcome in this sense, since we still need a better way to invade planets.

But, the idea could be interesting also as starting event for the game, where the Commander has to arrive to the planet in something, like a falling broken ship, with something inside, like a couple of fabbers, and few more units. The ship itself could be source of metal, avoiding the risk to spawn in a spot with little to none metal spots, as happens sometimes.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

shall i just drop my obligatory orbital multiunittransport and aircraftcarrier in here?
    oh wait i did already ... ähem ...

transports dont have to be super big or carry hundreds of units ...
    the focus in creating ways of orbital transportation of units (that dont include to the option of transportation being a static structure of sort or a unit being limited in movement to the planet it is on) should be in reducing downtime before a proper or bigger push is done ... also having single huge chunks of units doesn`t sound all that well to me ... they would be far too vulnerable to focused fire ... better reduce size and transportcapazity for smaller more spamable units you have better ways of avoiding or minimising loses with ...

also why would anyone deliberatly kill part of its army by crashlanding this thing .... also commsniping ...
    if you want to go full wh40 orks better get a orkrok for that ... and don´t forget to paint it red .... ... or yellow (?)
  12. corteks

corteks Active Member

I posted an idea similar to this a while ago in the unit suggestions thread https://forums.uberent.com/threads/its-time-to-talk-unit-ideas.52165/page-34#post-818157

I figured the ship would try and land, but if it's too damaged on approach it would not decelerate properly and smash into the surface. Anyway here's some art for the idea :p

Hoping they add some sort of mass transport as an interplanetary option.
    I love the idea of seeing huge invasions going on with swarms of units pouring out of transports as more make landfall/are destroyed on approach.
    shadowtagg, thedenial, hohopo and 2 others like this.
  13. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

actually, the Orkrok was my inspiration for it. xD

You cant deny its efficiency.
  14. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Something this from The Chronicles of Riddick would be nice.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  15. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

16. Geers

Geers Post Master General

What's the point of making the units die? Why not just lower the capacity in the first place?

Also if you want to know what a ship sticking out of the ground should look like, Star Citizen has you covered:

[​IMG]
  17. igncom1

Hey look, that overhyped game!! Im sure it'll live up to all of the donated money and expectations!
  18. Geers

Overhyped? I think it's perfectly justified. Especially when I read an FTL review that described it as the "best spaceship game on the market". It's a good game and all, but if 2D rogue-like is the best spaceship game we have then we are sorely lacking.

Also, have you not seen the latest stretch goal?

[​IMG]
  19. igncom1

I......can't tell if you are being facetious, or if you really do feel like that will live up to peoples wild expectations.

And besides, FTL is a different genre then star citizen, so what ever review said that FTL is the best starship game on the market really needs to check themselves.
  20. Geers

Define "wild expectations".