Uber Dev Streams

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by garat, December 18, 2013.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Zaphod's mic is always so much quieter than meta's.
  2. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Hehehe... that's funny, I just got on here to make a comment about meta's mic. It's always on the virge of distorting and often does. Been happening consistently for a long long time. Please tweak the recording level down 3db or so!
  3. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

I will look at mic settings. I think you're talking about my home setup.

Playtest today, pretty wild experiments:

Added this from the reddit post I did:
    Grenadiers, anchor changes, econ changes, t1 combat balance vs turrets Q&A at the end

Below are some things that we are trying in this experiment. There is no guarantee that these changes will be seen in a live build. Your mileage may vary. Debates are of course natural. Complaints would be premature.

Anchors can shoot the ground. If we kept this we'd like this to be more of a damage over time than a direct assault. But it would allow an aggressor to try to clear and maintain a beachhead on the ground of a planet.

We reduced the health of Anchors to 1000 instead of I think 4000 but maybe it was 5000. We also lowered the Anchor rate of fire.

Dox are now grenadiers. They don't have great range, but they can lob things over walls. The goal was to help assault turrets protected by walls, but they are still fragile so you could probably use some infernos in front.

This includes the eco changes where T2 econ is 3x, but everything costs 3x. Goal was to make it easier once you reached t2 to put out multiple t2 factories to produce like you do with t1. We know this will have several side effects such as: T1 fabbers less relevant due to energy efficiency. Easier to heal commander at t2. Easier to build t1 stuff with t2 eco. And more, but you get the idea.

There will be a tendency to see this and knee jerk reaction that maybe Anchors are too strong, and we're looking at that, but bear in mind even though we know it is coming we then all built the normal about of umbrellas (approximately none) so we have to adjust before we decide what it means.
    Last edited: April 1, 2014
    Arachnis, drz1, Quitch and 3 others like this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Did scathis have you guys put the word experimental in as many visible places as possible? I was expecting it to start blinking. :)
  5. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I really like anchors being able to shoot the ground :)
    Should make orbital warfare feel a lot more connected and dynamic and help with the fully-turtled-up-planet-issue. I would like some way other than umbrellas to attack orbital units, too, though.

I think you are moving into the right direction. But right now T1 (especially bots) still seems extremely useless.

Edit: Maybe some actual anti-orbital ground unit or something would be helpful (if you plan on making the orbital layer interact a lot more with the other layers).
    You could also try having some more unconventional units (for example a beam that holds orbital units in place or pushes them back or something...stuff other than simply dealing damage).
    Or stealth generators that hide ground forces from orbital radar.
    Last edited: April 1, 2014
  6. spartan234

spartan234 New Member

The changes made in this experimental build seem fine so far, especially those made to the anchors.

I don't know if it was raised before, but is there any way to smooth units' movement when facing a great amount of lag, even if it would cost some reactivity? Because playing an ooching game is not that much pleasant.
  7. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Ok, I forgot to mark this as experimental, but it was:

I didn't cover all of the changes, but some key items I might not have mentioned:
    Anchors don't move.
    Orbital Factory builds stuff in space for you.
    Raised the cost of T2 factories to delay the T2 rush. Raised production and T2 costs to compensate.

Didn't screw up and die right away!
    Arachnis likes this.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

EDIT: Nevermind.

Love the new UberBar :D
    Last edited: April 5, 2014
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

The video cuts off halfway through.
  10. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Well, that sucks. It seems like that happens a lot exporting a video from twitch to YouTube. FU Twitch!
    Here it is:
    http://www.twitch.tv/metabolical/b/517092644
    Arachnis likes this.
  11. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I often see "resets" during Twitch videos (and streams?); this break occurred at one such reset in the Twitch video.
  12. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

13. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

There's been a few more on twitch, but here's one that finally successfully exported to YouTube:
  14. mered4

First World Twitch Problems....

D:
  15. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

16. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

17. mered4

Is there an ETA?
  18. thelordofthenoobs

SOON™

Didn't find the picture ;(
  19. thelordofthenoobs

I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know whether you found out but if you didn't:

Your problems with the FOW and the range of the radar and so on not showing up correctly come from Ubersampling.

There seem to be problems with getting the right coordinates if that is enabled.

(I have the same problems if I enable Ubersampling.)
  20. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Casts from the Masters of May tournament:

drz1 and Clopse like this.