Things that just need to be done before release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Arachnis, April 1, 2014.

1. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Hey, these are the things that in my opinion need to be done before the game can hit the market:

-Change planet smashing to be a more balanced strategy, and not a game ender. Smashing planets as a mandatory strategy is not a good idea. Maybe asteroid belts?

- Make orbital interactions easier to perform, less clicks = more fun.

- Speed up the lategame.

- Make nukes a more balanced strategy, instead of making anti-nukes and nuke wars something mandatory.

- Balance units for more individualized strategies and unit combinations. Balance T1 vs T2 better.

- Economy changes desperately needed.

- The orbital layer needs to change, visually and gameplay wise. To find your own orbital units floating above your base can be quite tiresome. Also, it is not good that you can deflect every orbital harassment by just setting up some umbrellas. And I wish there were more options for interaction between the orbital and other layers.

- Invasions of other planets need to become more simple and more entertaining. This goes together with the changes to the orbital layer, speeding up the lategame and with making orbital interactions easier to perform.

- The unit cannon needs to be in the game.

- Strategy needs to become relevant again. Instead of being forced to have everything, players should be instead forced to choose one out of many strategies.

- Makromanagement needs to become easier.

- We need gas giants and the galactic war.

I think this is everything.

Greetings
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The unit cannon is a no-go.

Sorry.
  3. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Pretty good list. I don't really think the unit cannon is necessary though.

In my opinion, the game really is pretty dull in its current form. I'm barely playing at the moment due to the current balance.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Other than the Unit Cannon, pretty much agree with it all.
    polaris173 likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

An official ladder.
    I read somewhere that it is not in yet, because Uber is afraid that during development we do not have enough players for it. I think that is a misconception. The 1v1 players will come once a ladder is in place. They wont play much before that.
    I mean PA Stats is only used by a few hundred people a day at most and it still is quite possible to find 1v1 games in it's autosearch.
  6. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

A few hundred for a fan-built service only available by actively looking for it on the official forums before official release sounds pretty good to me.

I'd bet an official integrated ladder would get 10 times as many players.
    ikickasss and cptconundrum like this.
  7. rancor47

rancor47 Member

I miss performance in that list, better performance -> bigger systems!
  8. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Yeah agreed. I feel like the lack of a vibrant competitive scene is due to the lack of a ladder and the addition would probably start getting more and more players into it.
    naginacz and Quitch like this.
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

But wouldn't a ladder being introduced now be a little awkward, especially since we're getting close to what seems to be a balance overhaul?
  10. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

They can reset it whenever they want.
    ooshr32 and ArchieBuld like this.
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

It's funny because we make these lists as well. Our list is a lot longer than this one ;)
    cmdandy, Devak, ace902902 and 26 others like this.
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Same.
  13. Tiller

Tiller Active Member

Ladders aren't as necessary as getting a balanced and fully fleshed out game. A bigger playerbase, and with it a scene, will come when the game is in a polished and balanced launch state. I know I play sparsely because I'm in the camp Kiwi and pacifist are in, game gets bogged down a bit in its current state.
  14. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I disagree here a bit. Better performance means only 5min longer (or 500 units more) of playable game. Economy grows too fast, late game is hard to use all that metal/energy. Unless they can double or triple performance there is no point.
    ace63 likes this.
  15. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

so true

WHAT? The Unit Cannon is awesome, i saw it on Kickstarter and i instant decided to buy the game =)
    Why dont u want such a awesome feature?! It's essential for PA, almost like the Halley.
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I want it too, pal. Don't get me wrong. It just will be post-release.
  17. moldez

moldez Active Member

I would add "reworked and more interactive strategic icons" to that list as well -- there are sooooooo many possible ways to improve them ..
    naginacz and cptconundrum like this.
  18. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I like the way the strategic icons look. Unless you mean something different like having the commander icon always on the top layer.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  19. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Uber cannon has to be given a max fire rate of one shot every 30 seconds. As it stands now a commander cannot be attacked with T1 units.

This effectively eliminates all T1 end game strategies.
    tollman and glinkot like this.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That's a good thing. It means you need to really win the game before you move in at a commander.