King Of The Planet Series - Sunday April 6, 5PM UTC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cptconundrum, March 31, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

With PACE and Uber tournaments happening all the time, the competitive PA scene is really starting to get going. Thanks to PACE, lot of players are interested in competing and the turnout for these events has been really good. The scale of PACE tournaments has so far made it very hard to put on a good show like Uber and Zaphod did with Battle of the Beasts, because there is always just too much going on at once. Big tournaments like that are great for getting players involved, but what about viewers?

If we ever want PA to be taken seriously as an eSport, we need to move ahead and start to fill in the next piece of the puzzle; what we need to do now is make this game more accessible to fans that might not be able to compete with the top players. A group of us has been discussing this in the IRC and we have decided on a competitive series that will focus on putting on a good show and bringing together the community around a single match.

Our format will be a king of the hill style series, where the reigning champion comes back every week to face a new challenger in a best out of 5 match. This format is very important to the series, because it will give the community a chance to get to know the best players really well and see them come back to fight for their title again every week.

For now, challengers will be chosen on an invitational basis while we try to work out what kind of a system we want to use to determine our player pool. This informal system of selecting challengers will help to get the series started by ensuring high quality matches, but it can be changed to something more interesting later on.

To kick off this series, ZaphodX will be streaming a match between cola_colin and matizpl at 5PM UTC on Sunday, April 6.

These two players are some of the best that PA has to offer and have had some fantastic matches against each other recently. It's time to start getting excited for what will undoubtedly be an intense battle of skill and endurance as two of Planetary Annihilation's best players battle to become the first King Of The Planet!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: March 31, 2014
    godde, carlorizzante, giggle and 5 others like this.
  2. shootall

shootall Active Member

Did you settle on BO3 or 5? Also i thought the idea of a weekly ladder where winner gets to challenge the reigning king sounded good.

edit: for those of you who still hasn't found it #planetaryannihilation is where it's at
    https://webchat.esper.net/
  3. cptconundrum

bo5, mostly because it allows for random maps with some possibly unfair starts without having to constantly stop the action for rehosts. If you get a bad start, just hope for a better one next time.
  4. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Sounds great and I can't wait! The PA eSports are really shaping up to be something awesome.
  5. trialq

trialq Post Master General

With only two players and a caster, I think allowing rehosts is fine. Things can move quickly when there's not many people involved.
    matizpl likes this.
  6. cptconundrum

We'll see how it goes, I guess. I think what we're going to do for maps is set up some general size rules for the planet and then let the challenger choose the map settings. Each game will be the same settings but with a new seed.
  7. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

The King of the Planet will get this Signature:
    (with an promoted rank at my Page)

[​IMG]
    it is possible that this will be changed in time when i got more time to do something more awesome
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

A picture of Earth? So retro :)
    polaris173 and totalannihilation like this.
  9. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I will definitely be watching this; if anyone hasn't seen the matches with matiz Cola put up on his twitch, you should do so. I knew matiz and Cola were good, but once I started watching I was like :eek:
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. cptconundrum

I don't know who will win, but I'm also excited for the second week when we get to see the winner play against a new challenger.
    polaris173 likes this.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'm working on it now. You saw me play matiz - pretty bad.

But I know my issue now (not enough supervision of expansion) and it shall be fixed!

One day, my technical speed at this game will be on par with these dudes. That will be a day of reckoning.
    But it is not this day!
  12. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

In the meantime, I will watch you and Brian stomp as far as you can in Clopse's 2v2; I thought you guys played pretty well in the after-tournament match.
    mered4 likes this.
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

14. thesambasti

thesambasti Member

Nice, beat me to the punch on making something like this.
  15. giggle

giggle New Member

16. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

17. superouman

superouman Post Master General

We should create our own cryptocurrency, the AsteroidCoin, and make bets with it.
    reptarking, LavaSnake and Taxman66 like this.
  18. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

End the Fed?
  19. cptconundrum

Matiz has said he thinks Colin is the better player right now, but I really think Matiz can win this with enough practice. If we get a balance patch today though, I have no idea!
    matizpl likes this.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm betting on C2.
    stormingkiwi likes this.