[HALP] Interwebz and Routers

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, March 28, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

My router/WAP/modem thing comes from the age when broadband was new. So I need a more modern one. A key feature I'm looking for is one that can punch through interference from neighbours and electronic devices, since currently I have to run around hitting the main power switch for everything and connecting my phone/ipod through my laptop to get an actual signal in my room. Recommendations? Nothing too expensive, I don't have an asteroid mining company.

I currently have a Billion 7300g.

Secondly, my desktop has an odd habit of not connecting to the internet every now and then when booted up. A reboot usually fixes this, two will get me connected for sure. It's not too much of a hassle but I'd really like to know why it's doing this and how to make it stop. I'm pretty sure it's my PC doing something since my other devices don't have any issues.
    Last edited: April 4, 2014
  2. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Well is it a router or modem? Your modem (usually) comes from your ISP and they have to upgrade it. Also, who's your ISP and what's their policy on/compatibility with third party routers? Some ISPs (hint, hint, verizon) make it a massive pain to set up a third party router so you need to check and make sure it's possible.
  3. Geers

I'm with iinet. It's a thing that plugs into the wall and gives me wireless interwebz and a fibre cable connection. No, I don't know what the difference is.

Ok now I do. I guess it's technically both.
    Last edited: March 31, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. LavaSnake

Well you need to go to their website and find the instructions for setting up a third party router. You could also call their tech support line and ask but that usually includes a free year's worth of waiting on hold.
    Geers likes this.
  5. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Alternatively, snake a 20 metre cable from the router to your computer, preferably detouring through as many other rooms as possible. Trust me, signal is greatly improved ;)
    LavaSnake likes this.
  6. Geers

Yes ok, BUT WHICH ROUTER!?

Oh boy! I love tripping hazards! Extra fun when guests sue!
  7. LavaSnake

So you have both a router and a modem!? Could you just take pictures of all your interwebs boxes and post them here? That would make my life a lot easier.
  8. Geers

[​IMG]

That thing.
  9. LavaSnake

and is that your only box?
  10. Geers

Yes.
  11. LavaSnake

That means that your modem is probably integrated into the router and that means it's probably best to just call your ISP and ask them how to change your router to a third party one or get an upgrade from them.
  12. Geers

Yes, BUT WHICH ROUTER DO I GET!? THERE'S MORE THAN ONE ON THE MARKET! THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO GET A SECOND OPINION ON WHICH ROUTER TO GET! GAAAAHHH.
  13. LavaSnake

Well you first need to know if 1. your ISP is compatible with third party routers and 2. which ones they are compatible with. Once those two questions are answered we can help you find a good router to buy.
  14. Geers

How about my PC not connecting to the internet? Can you fix that?
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The Internet, I mean.

I sometimes have an issue. Sometimes it is because the plug needs fiddling with or windows 8 troubleshooter running

Today, for no conceivable reason, Skype, Spotify and Internet Explorer maintained access to the Internet. However Google Chrome lost it. Oddly the problem started when I started up PA, and PA also had no Internet connection.

Required a reboot to fix.
  16. Geers

Yeah, resetting the router usually fixes it. But I'd prefer to avoid the issue altogether. Is there a way to prioritize the cable connection?
  17. LavaSnake

Could you recap a little? I'm a little confused about what your problem is now.
  18. Geers

Computer turns on > I log in > Internet doesn't work (tries to connect wirelessly despite the existence of a cable) > Turning off router for 10 sec and then back on again sometimes fixes connection issue > If not, restart.

I want the PC to prioritize the wired connection and I to not fail at connecting.
  19. LavaSnake

That's really odd. Windows should use the wired connection first. Can you just disable your WiFi card?
  20. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

It shouldn't matter - the wired connection should already be present, and so the connection to wifi should be a nice extra, but should have little effect otherwise.