[Lore Discussion] Commanders' Genders and the use of "He".

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, March 30, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

No, I'm talking about military naming conventions.
    Missiles, tanks, artillery, if they aren't named the usual letter-number-tool/weapon they're named after either men or gods.

The only exception I know of is the Big Bertha.
  2. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I'm not particularly fussed about names. You can call me Susan for all I care. But I'm a 'he'.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

But... but... that's the whole point of the thread - the assumption that deadliness and violence are necessarily and exclusively masculine traits. That's... the... point... o_O That it need not be so, regardless of what cultural standards currently are. See my post above. And anyone who thinks women aren't capable of cruelty and violence hasn't been through enough bad breakups, lol. ...is this thread the wrong place for that joke? :p

lol, wait, am I getting called out, or congratulated? ;)
  4. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Robots of PA mostly named themselves. Would you name yourself by the opposite gender name?
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yes but you're assuming the Robot views itself as male. I see no reason at all that an AI robot from the far future would be any more likely to be male or female. The latter actually could make sense given the way PA commanders operate- they give rise to countless more machines, each commander is essentially a 'mother' to an entire army.

And for any Stargate fans out there- the female goa'uld were by far the best villains in the whole lore...
  6. trialq

trialq Post Master General

This topic makes me tired. I'm not very good at arguing, and don't care about proper english definitions (beyond english/american banter of course), so I'll leave my thoughts as a statement.

The idea of having to change a pronoun, which is often used in a gender-neutral way (and is here), and which I do use in a gender-neutral way, because of some misguided attempt at being 'inclusive' or 'politically correct', offends me. The robots are genderless, so pick a pronoun and be done with it. Using he and she infers gender, so pick one.
  7. eroticburrito

[​IMG]
    No..
    stormingkiwi and boylobster like this.
  8. r0ck1t

r0ck1t Active Member

Please tell me you're joking with this post…
  9. eroticburrito

Fair enough. If you were a woman would you still use "He" as gender-neutral?
    Also 'He' is not gender-neutral (unless referring to animals, often in a scientific sense), we just assume it is as men reading a story by a man:
    The OED Definition:
    A. pron. The subjective case of the masculine third person singular pronoun. I. As personal pronoun. 1. The male person or animal previously mentioned or implied or easily identified. Also (freq. with capital initial) with reference to God. a. As subject or (now formal) subject complement.
    Last edited: March 30, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I don't assume anything, I just see that a lot of known robots have male names. I, too, see no reason why there shouldn't be just as many female and neutral robots as there are male. But that's just how things are at the moment. And I hope it will change.
  11. tehtrekd

So, you're extremely fussed about prefixes, but names don't bother you at all?
    Can anybody say self-contradictory?

Except NO ONE is assuming that!

The people in this thread that understand how the world works are simply pointing out that culture isn't based on opinions, saying "I don't like this aspect of culture, therefore I'm allowed to say it no longer applies/exists!" is unbelievably stupid.

Also, no one is even saying that it's correct or just, just that it exists, what about that concept is so difficult to understand?
  12. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I have used she as gender-neutral in the past, back when I actively tried to think more 'politically correct'. I've since come to the view that thinking more politically correct, for the sake of being politically correct, is wrong and can be offensive in itself.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  13. r0ck1t

r0ck1t Active Member

A game is being designed on a galactic scale. There's planet smashing, weapons of mass destruction and testosterone driven total war, and you are concerned about equal representation about gender?? Well, I hate to burst your bubble, bro, but Uber already said they do not plan to make female lore. Please read the confirmed features list…
  14. eroticburrito

Well I do care, what I mean is that I'm happy to consider all names as unisex. I still identify as a man even if I don't like the concept of gender. That's where I'd draw my personal line on prescribing to cultural gender norms. Whereas you seem to draw it at not referring to everything as if it's male.

They're referred to as men. To call all of humankind "he" is clearly sexist and has not been an accepted part of culture for a very long time.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. eroticburrito

You mean this one that doesn't mention gender at all?

Yes it's got a lot to do with male culture. I don't have a bubble to burst. I'm quite surprised by the amount of opposition I've stirred up here.
    stormingkiwi, cdrkf and improvised1 like this.
  16. r0ck1t

r0ck1t Active Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the robots have male souls. I'm sorry..
  17. eroticburrito

If they'd all been programmed by a misogynist then I'd have no complaints.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  18. tehtrekd

You don't... like the "concept" of gender...?

Oh, and also, I'm drawing it as simply this.
    "The commanders are referred to as male, and that's not the end of the world."

facepalm_227785.jpg
    Am I being too subtle? Maybe I'm being too subtle, here, let me be slightly more blunt.
    PA.png
  19. r0ck1t

r0ck1t Active Member

Well, I hope the Uber team is a bunch of misogynists for your sake.. I mean, God forbid you ever play a game because they were only referred to as "he" and not "she"..
  20. eroticburrito

While I have complete faith in your deep thinking on gender, I would like to point out that, it is indeed a concept. It's a culturally constructed idea which we are conditioned to believe in.
    Sex, on the other hand, refers to the physical differences. Thus a male can identify as a woman, and a female can identify as a man. Truly revolutionary concepts, I know.

That Commander is Humanoid. It's got arms and legs and a head and an eye.
    What makes it a "he" that doesn't make it a "she" other than your own, culturally determined assumptions about what we should call it?