KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not quite, I've always been a fan of greebles and such but I figure some of the other rigs are probably better suited for that kind of stuff maybe? Especially the Multiped Rig for insect based stuffed.

That's intentional;
    As for the spine, it's not really gone, it's just not present on this variant.

Mike
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so emperor lizard kind of comm? intresting :)
  3. KNight

Something I just came across on Tumblr;

[​IMG]

This is something along the lines of something I'll try a variant on at some point, hopefully soon. From here.

Lack of progress is to be blamed on my Necrons, I finished my Triarch Stalker, working on my Annihilation Barge all while trying to paint a bunch of troops which have been rather mind-numbing to work on! 20 at a time xD

Mike
    plague11 likes this.
  4. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Well, after much delaying and lots of work during boring classes, I finally designed a cool custom commander to be given away to the community
    Its name is Quad Ball Commander (for now)
    I wish he could have a special feature: when iddle for 20 secs, it will curl into its ball form
    also, there is lot of room for improving its arms design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if the images are broken, here are the links of imgur:
    http://imgur.com/StWKqq8
    http://imgur.com/fVALTAg
    Last edited: April 2, 2014
    carlorizzante and cwarner7264 like this.
  5. KNight

Not to be a jerk, but what does this have to do with my personal custom commander?

Mike
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Droideka :D

It's inspiration for you, Mike ;)
    totalannihilation likes this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hmm I'd say this model looks more like a unit than a commander....

@KNight, don't be too harsh- view this like the 'support act' at a gig- keep the fans happy whilst we're waiting for the main act...
    totalannihilation likes this.
  8. KNight

Yeah but still, it's not like my thread hasn't already been very specific in it';s purpose, I don't have a problem with the poster or the content, just WHERE they deemed to post it. Especially considering they already posted it in the Fan Art sticky, it's easily viewed as cross posting and could be viewed as spam given the context of this particular thread.

Mike
  9. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Well, I posted here with all the innocence in the world, and few seconds later I realized this was the backers lounge :p (I got here redirected from another post of yours)
    Since the **** was done and I couldn't delete the post, I posted on the fan art as well, which it was its righteous place
    carlorizzante and cdrkf like this.
  10. KNight

I know it's been awhile, had a few different things on the go, but Now that I've gotten the biggest one out of the way(with a healthy does of inspiration as well ;p) I wanted to refine/finish the first pass on a lot the stuff I was missing;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So all in all a fair amount of progress, tweaked the Leg proportions a bit and did a first pass on the Lower Legs and feet. Added more detail to the spine and emphasized the separate bits more. Added a horn to the head for flair among other detailing.

Still got to figure out the shoulders and I'm not totally sold yet on the lower legs but at least everything lines up nicely and at least has something there compared to before.

Mike
  11. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Nice!
  12. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Torso and head are absolutely awesome. But shoulders are a bit weird. They and bulky legs kinda make it closer to the western mecha than asian. Maybe that's intended...

And those weights under his arms look unnatural.
  13. tristanlorius

tristanlorius New Member

the necrons getting to you eh! :D
  14. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

You can tell this Commander will be giving all the other commanders a run for their...mass XD
    Last edited: April 10, 2014
  15. KNight

Well the shoulders aren't really done/there at all yet? I'm mean yeah I have the "skeleton" there but I still want some kind of Pauldron to go over that, just haven't had any great ideas for that yet.

As for the "weights", I'm assuming you're referring to the exhaust port like thins that are present on most/all commanders?

I think I will be messing with leg thickness a bit, I think I might have been just a bit over zealous in making them nice and chunky! xD

Actually the main inspiration for the spine initially came from the Delta/Invictus but the detailing is much more Necron Inspired!

Maybe, I've seen some other custom commander designs and there are some pretty wicked ones out there!

Mike
    maxpowerz and tristanlorius like this.
  16. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant them. No, they are not on most/all commanders. There are five commanders without them out of ten currently in the game.
    I don't think they look good on your guy. At least not this version of them.
  17. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

@KNight
    Can you vertice paint your current revision of your commander.
    Would be awesome to see what it would be like with a bit of basic color...

Edit..
    I can envision it with color but id like to see where you'd like the coloring and markings.
  18. KNight

Honestly it's not really worth it at this stage. I was talking to Steve about their process for texturing and they got a really nice setup for that which I couldn't compete with so ill likely be handing it off to them for textures but when I'm done tweaking the mesh I will probably do something like that kind of as a guide of sorts.

Mike
    maxpowerz likes this.
  19. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

The legs look really "fat" and a little out of place. The rocket boosters cover up that sweet looking spine thing too. Overall though it looks really nice.
  20. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

funny side note...
    Around the buttock area of the armcore commander concept it looks like it had a vestigial tail !!
    Reminds me of a manx cat (by that i mean it looks like it had a tail that has been amputated or cut to be short and stubby)
    Last edited: April 11, 2014