Battle of the Beasts organisational improvements

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, March 28, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Uber should use my PACE tournament playbook...
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

3 round 8 team 2v2 tournament..... not the hardest thing in the book. but any tournament is hard on the first try and I commend uber for trying to get it to run all smooth of us. but the game is in development so what can you expect.
  4. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

More Casters! Diversity is FUN!
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Not make it Zaphod's personal tournament.

Put it on Uber's official twitch/youtube channel and have caster diversity – not use Uber as Zaphod's promotional material.

This current direction is driving away casters which is majorly hurting the community.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  6. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I don't see why any potential future tournaments couldn't feature another caster. Also, we're promoting material from a member of the community. How is this a bad thing?
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

To be honest, very few of the casters are good enough for this. The community really appreciates all the work that casters have done, but I have really only seen two people besides Zaphod that I think could do commentary of this quality.
  8. OathAlliance

Why not have a few Casters and then roll random for the final few casting slots?

I'd prefer you guys make this an inclusive deal instead of an exclusive one. You invited players, why not invite casters?

So why not use them as well(disincluding your opinion of casters)?
  9. cptconundrum

Yes, I think there could be some room for a couple more casters. I don't really want to get into the specifics of who is best at it here because that's not the point and this isn't the place for that discussion.

On the other hand, a really good reason to stick with just one team of two casters is to cut down on organizational confusion. I love pretty much everything about PACE, but the format here allowed them to jump from one game to the next very quickly without having to figure everything out again each time.
    philoscience likes this.
  10. OathAlliance

Does "Organization" trump community cohesion?

If having it all be about 1 person causes angst then it should be changed.

Uber now knows, that several casters/community members do take issues with tournaments being exclusive events for a single caster.

Therefore the best choice for them would be to file this under "We now know better" and to do it differently next time.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Because you only ever promote one caster and don't ever promote anything else.

It's stifling the community.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

so I learned that I should be careful were nukes can reach and I should actually make orbital in orbital games

EDIT:
    Also this was supposed to the "what I learnt" thread
    mered4 and websterx01 like this.
  13. cptconundrum

I really just don't think the game would have looked as good to outsiders without this quality of commentary is all. I feel like 2500 people watching the stream at one time has to count a little towards community involvement.
  14. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Nice tournament Pa doods. As someone who isn't all too interested or familiar with pa, here's what I thought would have made the stream more interesting for an outsider

1. Faster transitions between games
    2. Icons toggled off at medium-close zoom
    3. More map variety

Obviously pause and several other spectator features would be nice, but those are dependent on uber.

Yes.
  15. shootall

shootall Active Member

In general it was a nice tourney but all things get a little more serious when commanders and graphics cards are in the mix.
    My humble opinions:
    1. If it's 2v2, allow teams to have a sub if something would happen so the team won't have to forfeit.
    2. Issue a warning before a ban when the rules aren't super specific.
    3. Pause or sync function to allow reconnects in case of d/c
    4. FFAs are a bit too random and unpredictable for something as expensive as a good graphics card.
    matizpl likes this.
  16. Quitch

Yeah, I think subs should be allowed if at least 24 hours notice is given. If not, tough cheese, you have to make the time.

I was pretty happy with the systems chosen though, I thought that they all worked really well despite initial misgivings.
  17. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Uber needs to look up the definition of "homophobia".
  18. Quitch

Since the disqualification issue is going to come up, let me say that I support Uber 100% on this and it staggers me that people think that using "gay" as a negative term is acceptable. It's not. The gaming community likes to toss around terms like "gay" and "rape" and it's not okay, so get over and deal with it like adults.

I love clopse and I don't think he meant any offence, and hopefully he will learn from this, but the reaction from people afterwards was shameful I thought.
    DeathByDenim, elwyn, tatsujb and 11 others like this.
  19. cptconundrum

I think that things we can say among friends on the irc don't follow the same rules as a large scale tournament or this forum. We all need to remember the setting we are in and act accordingly. We have a great community here, but nobody should be immune to the rules.
    tatsujb and polaris173 like this.
  20. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Hey, guys, let's move on from this part of the discussion. There's just nothing else to say on the subject, outside of all of us have the expectation that our community be excellent to each other at all times.